Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Question about address card and vehicle ownership

Question about address card and vehicle ownership

Old Jun 3rd 2022, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about address card and vehicle ownership

We have some Finnish neighbours a couple of hundred metres away that we've only recently started to talk to. They have owned their house here for many years but seem to have been given conflicting information. Their permanent residence is in Finland and they come to Hungary aa couple of time a year for a couple of months at a time.
My question is....are they entitled to an address card? They have been told that they can't have one because they don't live here permanently. We forgot to phone the kormányablak this morning.
Also, they have a Hungarian car that they can't put into their name, insure or use because of the address card issue.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about address card and vehicle ownership

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
We have some Finnish neighbours a couple of hundred metres away that we've only recently started to talk to. They have owned their house here for many years but seem to have been given conflicting information. Their permanent residence is in Finland and they come to Hungary aa couple of time a year for a couple of months at a time.
My question is....are they entitled to an address card? They have been told that they can't have one because they don't live here permanently. We forgot to phone the kormányablak this morning.
Also, they have a Hungarian car that they can't put into their name, insure or use because of the address card issue.
A couple of times a year for a couple of months at a time sounds like approx 120 days, maybe the 90 + day thing only applies if it is continuous?
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that's an issue for Finns? I'm not sure.
I also don't know exactly how long they stay here. I'm just guessing by how often I see them.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Are you sure that's an issue for Finns? I'm not sure.
I also don't know exactly how long they stay here. I'm just guessing by how often I see them.
I think it is - just as it was for us Brits, pre brexit.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

An address card is issued as a result of getting a Residency card for non EU citizens or a Registration card for EU citizens.
As Finland is in the EU they should apply for a Registration card which, apart from relevant documentation, evidence is needed of accommodation, employment, and funds to cover their and their family's expenditures in Hungary. If they are in receipt of pension then this should be OK in lieu of employment.
Once they have a Registration card an address card will follow.

It is my understanding that a Registration card is needed (which gives an address card) for EU citizens if the stay in Hungary is longer than 3 months.
Old Jun 4th 2022, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you

It's such a long time since we moved here I couldn't remember the details. I had it in my mind that you get an address card when you purchase a house, regardless of residency.
Old Jun 5th 2022, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Paul, just remembered that you don't have to wait 90 days to register, we did ours on day 60. In fact we had booked an appointment to do it 3 weeks before (using our rental agreement) but then, having found an apartment to purchase, waited until we had the signed contract so as to avoid changing address cards straightaway.