Politics

Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Politics

I know we don't usually discuss hungarian politics on this forum but is anyone getting concerned about Orban's recent comments on how he sees the future of. Hungary. As an expat should I be concerned?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:59 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics

Cathy, I wouldn't worry about Orbans comments unless your a pro-globalist, Orban is ant-globalist and anti big banks. Globalism is why the planets economy is in such a poor state. Hungary is a treasure that shouldn't be trying to keep up with the Jones.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with J_R4ever,
Don't forget that it was Orban's previous government that brought about the new Constitution, which angered many international observers as it was 'non-liberal', pro Hungarian and pro conventional family.
e.g.
Article L [Marriage, Family]
(1) Hungary protects the institution of marriage as the union of a man and a woman established by voluntary decision, and the family as the basis of the survival of the nation. Family ties are based on marriage and/or the relationship between parents and children.
(2) Hungary encourages the commitment to have children.
(3) The protection of families is to be regulated by a cardinal Act.
and
Article M [Economic Principles]
(1) The economy of Hungary is based on work which creates value, and on freedom of enterprise.
(2) Hungary ensures the conditions of fair economic competition. Hungary acts against any abuse of a dominant position, and protects the rights of consumers.

IMO the new Constitution is a good start and I hope the government can / will live up to it!
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:59 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, I like all the facets mentioned above in your post. I like the fact that Hungary is a family and traditional values place. There are plenty of places for those who love liberalism and the destructive forces it brings. Why must they insist upon despoiling Hungary? I would suggest that they should leave Hungary alone.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I always avoid talking politics as it's a subject that I hate, having been brought up in a very political environment....BUT:
"Hungary ensures the conditions of fair economic competition. Hungary acts against any abuse of a dominant position, and protects the rights of consumers."
I have an issue with the above statement in several ways. The first thing that came to mind was the sale of tobacco products becoming state run. That hardly encourages fair economic competition or protects the rights of consumers. I'm a non smoker btw.
This government can talk the talk but I'm very concerned about the future.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:30 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Political threads never go well on here so I think best restart the topic in "take it outside" Cathy or I can ask about having a "lounge" section set up for this forum where politics and the like can be discussed by those who wish to do so - what do you think?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a think about whether to start this thread. I wanted to just find out if any other expats were also getting concerned about the direction the politics of this country was taking and whether it would affect their decision to stay here. I didn't want to start a political discussion really because at the end of the day there is nothing that we can do to change anything as expats.
Sorry....
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathyg
I did have a think about whether to start this thread. I wanted to just find out if any other expats were also getting concerned about the direction the politics of this country was taking and whether it would affect their decision to stay here. I didn't want to start a political discussion really because at the end of the day there is nothing that we can do to change anything as expats.
Sorry....
No problem Cathy, I understand as sometimes there are things I would like to discuss such as bad villages, the nationalist element in certain areas etc Unfortunately some people, myself included, tend to have strong views on these subjects and it can quickly get heated. If posters think a "lounge" area would be used then I can see about getting it set up. It's basically just an area outside of the main forum, linked to at the top of the forum and anything can be discussed in there, moderation is a bit more lax as well.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:23 pm
Banned

Feel free so set up a lounge section if you feel that,s more appropriate.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe start the title of any such thread as 'Politics- #######' so if you don't want to get bogged down in arguing about politics you don't have to go into the thread.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

if you start a lounge area you could invite Lady Zelda back
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:17 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
if you start a lounge area you could invite Lady Zelda back
Hmm, have a sneaky suspicion one of that brigade might still be about..... It's a shame as she was very knowledgeable but I think she was being wound up by certain folk intent on causing havoc

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Aug 1st 2014 at 6:29 am.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Feel free so set up a lounge section if you feel that,s more appropriate.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Feel free to tell us about yourself and your Hungarian journey - I'm assuming you have one
Old Aug 1st 2014, 8:30 am
Banned

Thanks for the welcome, I will make a thread tomorrow to introduce myself. In the process of looking at the moment, My better half cannot decide what or where she wants to buy.