Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

pocket translator in Hungary?

pocket translator in Hungary?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

raybona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pocket translator in Hungary?

Hi, I wonder if it is possible to get a pocket translator (english-hungarian).
Not the expensive stuff, but good enough to help me do some shopping the first couple of months?

Thanks
Old Sep 1st 2013, 6:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pocket translator in Hungary?

Originally Posted by raybona
Hi, I wonder if it is possible to get a pocket translator (english-hungarian).
Not the expensive stuff, but good enough to help me do some shopping the first couple of months?

Thanks
Have a look on Amazon, they do a few. Or google for even more, I did have links but have to go out for the day - if you can't find any, I'll post the links later.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rural Hungary, you really have a wealth of information.
Thank you for the reply, and enjoy your day!!
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Been looking on Amazon etc and the translators (Franklin seems to be the most popular make) in the lower price bracket £60 isn don't have good reviews, imo most do not translate sentences. I was thinking of buying but will not bother now.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Raybona , are you thinking of a text translator or an audio? If the former, you'll need some idea of the relationship between letters and speech! Consider the word 'naszaly' for example, it would be pronounced close to /næsaɪ/ or nasai!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hirschhs
Raybona , are you thinking of a text translator or an audio? If the former, you'll need some idea of the relationship between letters and speech! Consider the word 'naszaly' for example, it would be pronounced close to /næsaɪ/ or nasai!
Hi, I was thinking more of an audio. Would it be cheaper in Hungary, or here in Thailand?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Raybona, I don't know about the cost of these things in either country I'm afraid. I spent 2 years in China recently and the cost of most electronics (apart from the Chinese made things) was equivalent to Europe. My guess is that in Thailand it'll be a similar story. Probably the best thing to do is to get to your local electronics market and ask around.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just to help you get by initially, a text one would probably suffice though, as Richard says, they are limited as to what they can translate. The audio ones are more expensive and having not used one, I would reserve judgement on their usefulness due to Hungarians inability to understand a word if the pronunciation is not 100%........
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Correct Rural, the audio types retail approx £230 + , when surfing sites like Amazon look at the reviews if any, they can be very helpful, like everything, shop around.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

You could spend less on a half decent digital language course! Actually, Raybona pm me if you want info on that - I'm not selling anything but I might be able to help.

Last edited by hirschhs; Sep 2nd 2013 at 9:00 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Yeoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Not what you asked for but continuin from hirschhs suggestion:
Free learning source for very basic Hungarian: http://www.digitaldialects.com/Hungarian.htm
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have been using a 7" tablet coupled with a mifi adapter with t mobile access seems to work well

although it did translate do you have a kidney stones the other day when a builder was asking if I had a stone mason
Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yeoman
Not what you asked for but continuin from hirschhs suggestion:
Free learning source for very basic Hungarian: http://www.digitaldialects.com/Hungarian.htm
This is fun
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

I've found this site good fun as well.

http://www.surfacelanguages.com/language/Hungarian

The phrases on the right hand side build you up nicely, and just when you think you're doing well the sections on small talk remind you how little you know.

Still great fun though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heli2010
we have been using a 7" tablet coupled with a mifi adapter with t mobile access seems to work well

although it did translate do you have a kidney stones the other day when a builder was asking if I had a stone mason
Yes I looked up the word for lintel the other day (I had been told what it was called by Mr RH but had forgotten) Google came up with szemöldökfa which is something like wooden eyebrow! The builders merchant did not know this word so I resorted to plan B and got my lintels by sign language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.