Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

PNPF's gulyas recipe

PNPF's gulyas recipe

Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:28 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default PNPF's gulyas recipe

Well, recipe in the singular is a bit incorrect as it varies according to quantities of ingredients used/ seasonal. The key is to make it come out more like a soup than a stew, if you want to get close to Hungarian restaurant styles. I usually use beef (thigh or neck depending on Tesco offer etc) - though I also bring out a frozen whole leg or shoulder of lamb, de-bone it and use that instead, which actually is better than beef IMV & my rellies love it too. My rellies use 100% pork in their recipe, which I don't think tastes as good.

Anyway, take your meat, cube it, fry it in batches at high temperature to brown it, start cooking in a big pot. I often cook on the bogracs hely in the garden as it's more fun & a good way to get the kids joining in with the cooking - but obviously kitchen is much easier.

Coarsely chop up any onions you like and fry/ soften them for a few minutes.

Add a 25% by weight vs the beef/ lamb quantity of cubed pork product, I use anything, belly pork for example or szalonna - this gives a bit more fat and good mouth feel to the end result & is a cheaper meat than beef/ lamb.

Add a generous quantity of edes nemes paprika or the type you like, several tablespoons for a big pot. Cook it thru for a couple of minutes.

Add boiling water. Add tomatoes - in season I just use chopped fresh tomatoes, skin & all, out of season tinned plus tomato paste or paprika paste.

Add generous quantity of lecso paprika, maybe 10 for a big pot, deseeded and torn apart in big pieces.

Add salt, pepper & your favourite spices/ herbs, maybe best to leave spicy paprika to the individual's choice but no problem with a small piece of hot paprika or some chilli flakes, remember you're not trying to make it fiery.

Garlic according to preference.

Water right to the top of the pot then cook down for about 3 hrs - @ 2hrs you can eat it, 3+ hrs is better, 4 hrs+ is probably too much as it goes a bit gloopy.

You can add cubed potatoes in the last 30 mins or so, makes it go further and new potatoes taste delicious like this.

Eat/ serve with plenty of bread.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNPF's gulyas recipe

Sounds good - my (Hungarian ...) wife does it similarly. Only a few remarks:
She never uses precut meat - cuts it herself into relatively large cubes - maybe an inch long!
After tasting for salt etc, maybe half an hour before it's done:
Add a glass of dry red wine!
And be generous with the Piros Arany - but not the csipös!
Friends of mine in Germany made that mistake once - had forgotten which was which ...
So it's better to put a glass of Erös Pista on the table for those who like it hot.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:06 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PNPF's gulyas recipe

My Hungarian mate of 20 years' standing - excellent cook - prefers beef leg (ie lower leg) to thigh or neck, says it has better flavour. Just needs that extra hour's cooking.

Cheaper as well, though not when Tesco has beef on offer, today until 22nd: Beef neck is 1999 vs the usual 2799, and beef leg is 1949 - so I know which one I'll be going for!