British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Plans for our new part roofed terrace. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/plans-our-new-part-roofed-terrace-943472/)

FenTiger Aug 1st 2022 5:17 am

Re: Plans for our new part roofed terrace.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...43577fef11.jpg
The planks on the roof are one long piece! It seems clear to me they got the measurements wrong. Whether from the plans or their own measurements. Either the terrace is wider than it should be or the roof is not the correct width!

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 1st 2022 8:23 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13132103)
The planks on the roof are one long piece! It seems clear to me they got the measurements wrong. Whether from the plans or their own measurements. Either the terrace is wider than it should be or the roof is not the correct width!

The normal length for lambéria (the planks you have on the roof) is 4 M. I suspect you have the joints on top of the joists.

At this point you should be measuring all of the terrace against the plans to see what is correct and what is not.

A negotiation point could be that when the overhang is installed the lambéria is put on down the roof rather than across as with the inner part. This would be much easier to install otherwise the whole lot would need to be stripped back to the first joist. the lambéria cut all the way up the roof mid joist and the new lambéria fixed to extend to the overhang. Whether you see the aesthetics of the overhang lambéria going in the opposite direction to the rest of the roof is up to you.

Have you checked the floor where the water pools with a straight edge to see if there is a dip that will always collect water?

The builder should be responsible for all the materials needed to install the overhang except the roof tiles which you will have to pay for as they would be have been needed had the overhang been constructed as planned.

FenTiger Aug 1st 2022 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13132116)
The normal length for lambéria (the planks you have on the roof) is 4 M. I suspect you have the joints on top of the joists.

At this point you should be measuring all of the terrace against the plans to see what is correct and what is not.

A negotiation point could be that when the overhang is installed the lambéria is put on down the roof rather than across as with the inner part. This would be much easier to install otherwise the whole lot would need to be stripped back to the first joist. the lambéria cut all the way up the roof mid joist and the new lambéria fixed to extend to the overhang. Whether you see the aesthetics of the overhang lambéria going in the opposite direction to the rest of the roof is up to you.

Have you checked the floor where the water pools with a straight edge to see if there is a dip that will always collect water?

The builder should be responsible for all the materials needed to install the overhang except the roof tiles which you will have to pay for as they would be have been needed had the overhang been constructed as planned.

Will respond in full later. Head in a real muddle at moment.
The boss came with the main builder, his father, this morning. The father "ranted" a bit at my Hungarian wife with a couple of swear words. The boss sent him home. The father said he had told us about the width but my wife is adamant he didn't. She would have told me if he had. Disappointedly, another builder confirmed to the boss what the father had told us but I reckon he doesn't want to say anything against the father!

FenTiger Aug 1st 2022 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13132116)

The lambéria are one long plank. No joint. I think that's an indication they didn't order the correct length.
It will be fitted top to bottom. Extra supporting joists will be added.

We've negotiated to pay for materials only. We were surprised they admitted the width was their mistake.

Can't see any dips. If I could get my spirit level through gap between floor tiles and fencing I'd be able to check properly. So will wait for the extra bit added to the roof then see whether it makes any difference. The other side is fine.

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 1st 2022 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13132163)
Can't see any dips. If I could get my spirit level through gap between floor tiles and fencing I'd be able to check properly. So will wait for the extra bit added to the roof then see whether it makes any difference. The other side is fine.

You can check for dips with a bit of string, get someone to hold the string against the floor with their finger nail (the wife is good for this) and you pull the string tight and hold it against the floor the other side to that which you want to check for dips. By raising and lowering the string you can determine bumps or dips.You can then put your sprit level anywhere along the place of the string and check for level.

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 1st 2022 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13132163)
We've negotiated to pay for materials only. We were surprised they admitted the width was their mistake.

This sounds like a win !!!

FenTiger Aug 2nd 2022 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13132231)
This sounds like a win !!!

Only if they do as they explained to us. Can't see the bits of wood they brought yesterday for the joists. Not keen for the main builder to be here. If he comes here and starts "ranting" or complaining we'll have to tell him to leave. His worse habit is rushing what he needs to do and making a hash of things.

Jack_Russells4ever Aug 2nd 2022 11:57 am

Originally Posted by FenTiger (Post 13132305)
Only if they do as they explained to us. Can't see the bits of wood they brought yesterday for the joists. Not keen for the main builder to be here. If he comes here and starts "ranting" or complaining we'll have to tell him to leave. His worse habit is rushing what he needs to do and making a hash of things.

Hungarian builders, One of the joys of our adopted place of abode. I love residing here in Hungary but I have to say I hate the building tradesman I have had engaged to perform work for me in the past. I have painted them all as worthless based upon my experiences with 2 of them. Probably wrongly so but hopefully their are some good builders out there that take pride in their work.

Sachina Aug 2nd 2022 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13132361)
Hungarian builders, One of the joys of our adopted place of abode. I love residing here in Hungary but I have to say I hate the building tradesman I have had engaged to perform work for me in the past. I have painted them all as worthless based upon my experiences with 2 of them. Probably wrongly so but hopefully their are some good builders out there that take pride in their work.

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule but I'm very happy with the builders working for me. I know exactly what needs doing and why and how much it's going to cost. The boss man and his workers put in a good day's work and are doing an excellent job. They also clean up every evening before they go home which is an added bonus.

I should add that despite being "only a woman" having renovated many houses in various countries I've a pretty good idea what I'm talking about!

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 2nd 2022 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sachina (Post 13132369)
I've a pretty good idea what I'm talking about!

I've found that certainly helps.
If they know you know how things should be done they are less likely to cut corners and try it on - but you do have to keep an eye on what they are doing

Sachina Aug 2nd 2022 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13132377)
If they know you know how things should be done they are less likely to cut corners and try it on - but you do have to keep an eye on what they are doing

Exactly! Even though the builder who's working on my house at the moment obviously knows what he's doing, I still go out and check every couple of hours or so.

When I first moved here and had work done on my house the builders tried to tell me they were working to EU standards which I couldn't possibly know anything about because I'd arrived here from South Africa. Soon shut them because I'd worked on an island which because it was a department of mainland France had to to conform to EU standards. During that time one of my sons had built a large extension to his hotel and opened a new restaurant both of which were inspected regularly to make sure they were up to EU standard.

FenTiger Aug 2nd 2022 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 13132377)

Looking at our new raised covered terrace the builders should have been supervised 24/7. Plus I'd need a drone to see what they were doing on the roof!

FenTiger Aug 3rd 2022 1:07 pm

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...decc160bdb.jpg
Overhang extended 😁 . Still a little more work to be done.
Been impressed with a new guy who worked here yesterday and today. Seems he's been looking at things with fresh eyes!!!

Jack_Russells4ever Aug 3rd 2022 1:35 pm

Looks much better with the increase of overhang. Thankfully you caught the issue before the job was completed. Hopefully nothing else is found that is unsatisfactory.

FenTiger Aug 3rd 2022 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13132622)
Looks much better with the increase of overhang. Thankfully you caught the issue before the job was completed. Hopefully nothing else is found that is unsatisfactory.

:thumbup: