Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Plans for our new part roofed terrace.

Plans for our new part roofed terrace.

Old Jul 30th 2022, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plans for our new part roofed terrace.

Yesterday I did a "rain" test. The results were the flashing was inadequate. You could see light at one end. Builders have been informed. They will be here on Monday.
More devastating is the discovery the roof is not wider than the terrace so a pool of water formed at one side when it rained. Commonsense would tell anyone the roof needs to be wider than the terrace.
We're very upset about this.
I think we're going to have to take legal action against the builders. I've no idea what our chances of winning would be.
Old Jul 30th 2022, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Yesterday I did a "rain" test. The results were the flashing was inadequate. You could see light at one end. Builders have been informed. They will be here on Monday.
More devastating is the discovery the roof is not wider than the terrace so a pool of water formed at one side when it rained. Commonsense would tell anyone the roof needs to be wider than the terrace.
I think we're going to have to take legal action against the builders. I've no idea what our chances of winning would be.
Did the builders consult with the architect when the plans were altered? And were the builders given a copy of the plans with exact specifications to work from?
Old Jul 30th 2022, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
Did the builders consult with the architect when the plans were altered? And were the builders given a copy of the plans with exact specifications to work from?
Yes, doesn't matter we changed from half covered roof to fully covered the roof should be wider than terrace. It's commonsense.
Old Jul 30th 2022, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

What do the plans say? If it was built to the plan then no chance of any success. If it was not built to the plan then IMO the best option would be to discuss the matter with the builder and come to an agreement. Taking legal action would be expensive and could easily take years. There is a small claims court here but unfortunately it is more of an arbitration service without teeth i.e. not much use. If you have paid the whole bill then you are not in a very good position, if some of the monies are yet to be paid then your position is stronger.

Looking back at the first post on this thread the architects picture seems to show an overhang of about 30 cm. Were the plans drawn to reflect this? Also you say water pools on one side, how deep is the pool? Is the floor laid flat or is there a dip that allows water to pool? A top quality job would have a slight slope to the outside to drain out any blown in water rather than direct it inwards towards the house. (but again this should be specified on the plans).

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jul 30th 2022 at 6:16 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2022, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

30cm overhang ..... that's the key issue .. it's short by 5cm!
Old Jul 31st 2022, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

30cm overhang ..... that's the key issue .. it's short by 5cm!
If your over hang is 5 cm short I don't think that you will get any where.

I suspect it is 5 cm short of the plan is because that is how the tiles worked out with out silly bits at the end and this would probably be the builders (quite reasonable) answer.

I don't think that the extra 5 cm will make much / any difference to the rain coming in if there is any wind to put a slant on the rain. The main thing would be if the water is pooling because the floor has a dip where it can collect.
Old Jul 31st 2022, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The plans clearly show an overhang of probably 20cm each side. The roof width is shorter than the terrace.

Old Jul 31st 2022, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I see what you mean.

Do you have plans with measurements on it rather than a picture (artists impression)

Worth discussing this with the builder.

Does the water pool in a dip in the floor? or is the floor just wet after the rain?
Old Jul 31st 2022, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I see what you mean.

Do you have plans with measurements on it rather than a picture (artists impression)

Worth discussing this with the builder.

Does the water pool in a dip in the floor? or is the floor just wet after the rain?
Yes, we do have plans with measurements. We supplied everything to the builders. The roof is clearly not as wide as the terrace, hence why there's a pool of water. If there was an overhang this would not happen.
Sister-in-law coming here today so hopefully she can help us write up an email to the builder explaining about the issue.
I'm gutted about this and feel so deflated.
Builders will be here tomorrow to do some work on the roof as the flashing is inadequate but we're going to have to tell them not to do anything until the width of the roof is sorted. One of the guys should have come here on Friday but didn't turn up. To be fair he and the other guys had put in 10-12 hour shifts three days in a row!
It's only because it rained we picked up on this issue.
Old Jul 31st 2022, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Jul 31st 2022, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we do have plans with measurements. We supplied everything to the builders. The roof is clearly not as wide as the terrace, hence why there's a pool of water. If there was an overhang this would not happen.
Sister-in-law coming here today so hopefully she can help us write up an email to the builder explaining about the issue.
I'm gutted about this and feel so deflated.
Builders will be here tomorrow to do some work on the roof as the flashing is inadequate but we're going to have to tell them not to do anything until the width of the roof is sorted. One of the guys should have come here on Friday but didn't turn up. To be fair he and the other guys had put in 10-12 hour shifts three days in a row!
It's only because it rained we picked up on this issue.
I have a 30cm plus overhang on my porch which is around 12 metres long and a metre wide,. However, when we have rain combined with a strong wind blowing from the right direction, it will rain into the porch and wet the tiles. With a heavy thunderstorm I often have to close my inner front door which is covered by a metre of porch roof, to prevent rain blowing into the house.
Old Jul 31st 2022, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have a 30cm plus overhang on my porch which is around 12 metres long and a metre wide,. However, when we have rain combined with a strong wind blowing from the right direction, it will rain into the porch and wet the tiles. With a heavy thunderstorm I often have to close my inner front door which is covered by a metre of porch roof, to prevent rain blowing into the house.
I'd expect there will be some rain on the terrace if there's a strong wind.
Old Jul 31st 2022, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sister-in-law coming here today so hopefully she can help us write up an email to the builder explaining about the issue..............
Builders will be here tomorrow to do some work on the roof as the flashing is inadequate but we're going to have to tell them not to do anything until the width of the roof is sorted.
A good idea not to let the builder do anything until a solution is put forward for the whole fix.

When you are discussing the matter with the builder have a copy of the plans with you to keep the discussion on track and if it is your only copy then don't let the builder take it away.

Unfortunately extending the over hang is not an easy quick fix. A quick bodge could do it but that is not what you want. The proper fix would be to strip back the roof to the next joist and replace the tile battens. It would also be possible to extent the tile battens by screwing a supporting batten under the existing and then screwing the extension batten to the supporting batten. (by under I mean down side not under as in top and bottom) but this fix will also mean the roof will need to be stripped back and the roofing felt extended with the proper overlap.
Oh and screws not nails.

Do you have the extra tiles needed for the modification?
Old Aug 1st 2022, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

A good idea not to let the builder do anything until a solution is put forward for the whole fix.

When you are discussing the matter with the builder have a copy of the plans with you to keep the discussion on track and if it is your only copy then don't let the builder take it away.

Unfortunately extending the over hang is not an easy quick fix. A quick bodge could do it but that is not what you want. The proper fix would be to strip back the roof to the next joist and replace the tile battens. It would also be possible to extent the tile battens by screwing a supporting batten under the existing and then screwing the extension batten to the supporting batten. (by under I mean down side not under as in top and bottom) but this fix will also mean the roof will need to be stripped back and the roofing felt extended with the proper overlap.
Oh and screws not nails.

I agree a quick fix will be a bodge job. Builders were given all the plans prior to work starting. I think the builders are perfect candidates to star in a Specsavers advert!
Old Aug 1st 2022, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh and screws not nails.

Only got few tiles left. My wife has just send email to builders with photos and building plans to point out the error. We only picked up this would be a massive problem because it rained on Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.