Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Planning permission, Architectc etc

Planning permission, Architectc etc

Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning permission, Architectc etc

'but there are also a lot of 2 storey houses where the upstairs is just a bare shell and they all live on the ground floor.'
Yes Fid I often visit one house like this, all the stair treads are used for shoe storage since they have no need to get up and down.

'Often there is a balcony but rarely with any railings!'
Again quite a common sight which doesn't seem to bother anyone in authority.

I guess by now poor old Stegy is wondering why he bother to post his concerns about architects and making sure he did the right things. :-)
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.
Im going to be offline for a while till I get to Hungary in a couple of weeks
All the best till the
Old Mar 24th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
When I was house-hunting I was not specifically looking for a single storey property but I only found one two storey house in my price range. I suppose this suggests that loft conversions might be a good way of adding value when expanding the living accomodation.
Also, depending upon where you are looking the single story house may be adobe or stone /earth whilst the 2 story house will be modern block. Adobe houses are difficult to sell, next in line are the stone/ earth construction so both are cheaper than modern construction. Putting an attic conversion on to adobe is difficult to do without compromising the walls and doing the same to stone/earth is just expensive. Unlike the UK it is cheaper to buy a 'second-hand' house than to buy a plot and build. In Hungary the government support for young families is all geared towards new build as was the mortgage industry, which is one reason why there are lots of empty houses.

(current government support gives 10,000,000huf to families who commit to having 3 children within 10 years - but this only applies to new build, previous support for years only applies to new build and only in the last couple of years was available for renovation/extension)