Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Petrol Propelled Lawnmower

Petrol Propelled Lawnmower

Old Aug 16th 2020, 12:34 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol Propelled Lawnmower

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
Get a couple of goats instead, the added benefit is milk during grass season and meat in the winter

Another added benefit of goats is they will eat any plant you DON'T WANT them to eat, like flowers, young trees , shrubs etc, One of my friends got rid of goats recently because they wrecked their garden. Goats must have a very good well built fence and a couple lines of electric fence wire on them.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Get a couple of goats instead, the added benefit is milk during grass season and meat in the winter

To be honest this is on my wish list but I think my wife will resist the idea but once she sees.a kid goat her heart will melt.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Strimmers vs. lawn mowers. Large strimmers are no more dangerous than the user (like fast cars!) Strimmers are useful for grass that is too long or wet for a lawn mower (in the spring) and for places that lawn mowers can't get to. Larger strimmers can use plastic cord, blades or saw discs, smaller ones (domestic size?) are better restricted to cord. If it is only edges that you want a strimmer for then consider an electric one (corded are much cheaper than battery) If you want to do the 1st, 2nd and last cut of the year then get a petrol one.
Lawn mowers can collect grass cuttings, are quicker than strimmers and are more environmentally friendly (they are 4 stroke not 2 stroke like strimmers)
Unfortunately IMO 700m2 is not really big enough to justify a ride on mower - but.......

There is a place for both as they do different jobs. For what it is worth I have both a lawn mower and a couple of strimmers and wouldn't be without any of them. The commercial size I use with a blade and a saw disk but I prefer to use a chain saw or the tractor mounted cuttter rather than the saw disk on a strimmer.
For a ride on lawn mower I was thinking of a property I have previously viewed (my favourite) with 2,225 sq.m but I would say less than 250 sq.m is covered by the house, four outbuildings and paved driveway. The current owners use a ride on, well, the man of the house did (now confined to a wheelchair) but the lady of the house a corded lawnmower! Anyway, that would be a luxury but if I could find a good petrol propelled lawnmower with a very large collection bin for the cuttings that would be great. Still need a strimmer though so will probably go for two: one corded large strimmer and one rechargeable strimmer (30 minutes use) for those bits I miss!

As most of the lawn cutting equipment here is quite old I think I'll go ahead in buying the two strimmers and get the lawn mower later unless I see a bargain in the end of summer sale clearances. I just need to buy a car which I hope will be pretty soon so I can visit the stores without relying on family members.

Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Another added benefit of goats is they will eat any plant you DON'T WANT them to eat, like flowers, young trees , shrubs etc, One of my friends got rid of goats recently because they wrecked their garden. Goats must have a very good well built fence and a couple lines of electric fence wire on them.
My grandparents kept goats when I was a child and if you didn't watch them they'd eat the washing off the line. Goats aren't like dogs in that you can't pop them in the car when they need to see a vet. You need to live in an area where the vet can come to you. Goats also have rather a pungent smell if confined inside and anyone whose been tupped by one will tell you it's quite a painful experience
Old Aug 16th 2020, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
My grandparents kept goats when I was a child and if you didn't watch them they'd eat the washing off the line. Goats aren't like dogs in that you can't pop them in the car when they need to see a vet. You need to live in an area where the vet can come to you. Goats also have rather a pungent smell if confined inside and anyone whose been tupped by one will tell you it's quite a painful experience
Old Aug 16th 2020, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my petrol strimmer new in the UK for £250 and it works well although it takes the best part of the day to do my whole garden so a self propelled lawnmower would be quicker and easier. The strimmer is a Makita and is a four stroke as opposed to the usual two stroke so is quiet to use. I have only ever used it with the nylon cord and never fitted the blade that also came supplied with it ...
Old Aug 16th 2020, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

so, goats are off the menu then

how about sheep?
or a miniature pony?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

so, goats are off the menu then

how about sheep?
or a miniature pony?
Old Aug 16th 2020, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

We know people in Hungary who have goats - it's a kind of hobby, selling goat milk and also making goat cheese if there's too much milk. When we lived near Hévíz we would regularly buy it if available - wonderful taste!
Goats are a lot of work however ...