Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Outside toilet location

Outside toilet location

Old Aug 27th 2021, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Outside toilet location

Without going into too many details as to why, I need to build an outside toilet and shower at the bottom of my garden.
Are there any rules/regs as to where I can or can't build these?
Obviously, the easiest is just to dig a deep hole for the toilet and I was thinking of a shallow pit for the shower, filled with gravel and covered with wooden boards to act as a soak away. These would not be in daily use, just occasional.
However, they would be located about 5 metres from a very small stream. That's where my issue lies.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outside toilet location

EDIT:
Outside toilet location and septic tank.
Having spoken to someone today, he highly recommended not just creating an old-school kerti wc but installing a septic tank.
Does anyone have any suggestions on rules and regs re these?
Rather than go down the route of modern, baffled tanks that separate the solids from the effluent, I was thinking along the line of a single tank sunk into the ground and emptied once in a while. The person I spoke to wasn't sure whether this method is allowed as a new installation though. The reason I would prefer this method is that I already have such a tank sat around doing nothing.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

farka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulinEger View Post
Without going into too many details as to why, I need to build an outside toilet and shower at the bottom of my garden.
Are there any rules/regs as to where I can or can't build these?
Obviously, the easiest is just to dig a deep hole for the toilet and I was thinking of a shallow pit for the shower, filled with gravel and covered with wooden boards to act as a soak away. These would not be in daily use, just occasional.
However, they would be located about 5 metres from a very small stream. That's where my issue lies.
Hi,
Do you have a compost heap in the garden? If so then you could try this system:

https://www.lowimpact.org/the-simple...ompost-toilet/

Ideal for occasional use and simple/cheap to setup - also avoids any ground water/nearby stream contamination problems.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

That was really interesting, thank you.
Unfortunately, most of the contents of the loo won't be mine and I really don't fancy dealing with other peoples' waste.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point

EDIT:
Outside toilet location and septic tank.
Having spoken to someone today, he highly recommended not just creating an old-school kerti wc but installing a septic tank.
Does anyone have any suggestions on rules and regs re these?
Rather than go down the route of modern, baffled tanks that separate the solids from the effluent, I was thinking along the line of a single tank sunk into the ground and emptied once in a while. The person I spoke to wasn't sure whether this method is allowed as a new installation though. The reason I would prefer this method is that I already have such a tank sat around doing nothing.
I have a septic (holding) tank installed in my garden which is emptied every 6 months or so. We had to obtain planning permission before we could build it.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
I have a septic (holding) tank installed in my garden which is emptied every 6 months or so. We had to obtain planning permission before we could build it.
Oh,no! Planning permission?
I may just start digging and pretend it was there when we bought the house 😄
Old Aug 28th 2021, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh,no! Planning permission?
I may just start digging and pretend it was there when we bought the house 😄
Have you thought of building a pit latrine. They;re still very common in rural Hungary as well as other parts of the world. I used to have one in my garden before it was demolished.

https://wikiwater.fr/a8-dry-self-ventilated-improved
Old Aug 28th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

First some terminology
A septic tank is a multi-chambered tank where the sewage flows from chamber to chamber and eventually out to land drains, ditch or stream. Typically they will need desludging after some years.
A cess pit is a single tank used as a holding tank for sewage where the sewage is collected until there is enough to be collected. The collection lorries are usually around 5 m3 and the charge will be for the visit not the quantity taken i.e. you wlll always be charged for a full load.
Septic tanks are more expensive to build by quite a lot.
Is the stream a stream (patak) or ditch or water channel (csatorna). The definition will determine which rules apply and this can be seen on the land office map.

I would get on with the project without involvement from any outside influences.

I would build a traditional garden loo which is dry - non-flushing as talked about above. You need a hole that won't collapse and the way I would build it would be to dig a hole and put a concrete ring of the type that are used for dug wells in the hole with no base. I would then build a light weight structure from timber frame and OSB boards with seat etc. over the top. In use you have a bucket of ash or sawdust and a shovel of either is thrown onto the 'product' after use. When the hole is nearing full you either empty out the compost or given that it will take some years to fill simply move the wooden structure to a new site and make a new one (assuming you don't fancy empting it out). Having built the new one put some earth over the old one and plant a fruit tree.

For the shower I would as you suggest dig a soak away and put boards over it. I have one in the garden and I made the cubicle strong enough to take a black painted barrel on top that serves to give warmish water by the afternoon. The tap controls the water flow into the bottom of the barrel and the shower head is connected to the top and is without a tap.This way there is no pressure in the barrel from either mains or expansion due to heat as the top outlet is always open.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Peter and just had to add this joke for the description.
In German:
Gravitationsgesteuerte Entsorgungsimplementierung mit akustischer Rückmeldung
loosely translated:
Gravity controlled disposal installation with acoustic feedback
All the older houses still have this - just in case. My wife sometimes uses it when working in the garden - but only for "small business", we men of course can get in a corner ...
Old Aug 29th 2021, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
I agree with Peter and just had to add this joke for the description.
In German:
Gravitationsgesteuerte Entsorgungsimplementierung mit akustischer Rückmeldung
loosely translated:
Gravity controlled disposal installation with acoustic feedback
All the older houses still have this - just in case. My wife sometimes uses it when working in the garden - but only for "small business", we men of course can get in a corner ...
Acoustic feedback ... hence the Australian term "Thunderbox" I guess !!
Old Aug 29th 2021, 10:27 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins View Post
They were called Thunderboxes when I was in the army cadets!
Old Aug 29th 2021, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hobgoblins View Post
My grandparents had a double seater. As a small child I used to spend hours in the Khazi as it was called, reading all the pieces of newspaper that had been cut into squares that were used instead of toilet paper.

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/blog/wh...they-come-from

What are Some Alternative Words for Toilet and Where do They Come From?

Old Aug 30th 2021, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
I'm now on plan C, which involves utilising an existing, brick built outside toilet attached to the end of our outbuildings. Just a hole in the ground with no plumbing. This will save me time and money, although the location isn't ideal. I will build an outside shower attached to the side of it, draining into the loo.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
I'm now on plan C, which involves utilising an existing, brick built outside toilet attached to the end of our outbuildings. Just a hole in the ground with no plumbing. This will save me time and money, although the location isn't ideal. I will build an outside shower attached to the side of it, draining into the loo.
If the loo is without plumbing i.e. no soil pipe taking away the sewage then do not put the shower outflow in to this. They are supposed to work dry with sawdust or ash after 'an event'. If you lead water into it you will have a small unpleasant cess pit. Put the shower with its own soak away where it cant drain into the loo.
Old Aug 30th 2021, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
If the loo is without plumbing i.e. no soil pipe taking away the sewage then do not put the shower outflow in to this. They are supposed to work dry with sawdust or ash after 'an event'. If you lead water into it you will have a small unpleasant cess pit. Put the shower with its own soak away where it cant drain into the loo.
Thank you for that Peter. I do have the option of draining the shower elsewhere. It's just a bit of a longer run.