Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Other people get mice

Other people get mice

Old Oct 3rd 2023, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Other people get mice

A couple of weeks ago we had a lizard in the lounge - very difficult to catch and release.

This morning SWMBO went into the kitchen to find a 40 cm snake in the middle of the floor, as soon as she took a step towards it it slithered under the dish washer - where it remains (AFAIK)
Question - How to catch it ?

Of course we get mice as well, but the snake is a bit small to resolve the occasional mouse problem !!
Old Oct 3rd 2023, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other people get mice

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A couple of weeks ago we had a lizard in the lounge - very difficult to catch and release.

This morning SWMBO went into the kitchen to find a 40 cm snake in the middle of the floor, as soon as she took a step towards it it slithered under the dish washer - where it remains (AFAIK)
Question - How to catch it ? .....
A glue trap - a board coated in some extremely sticky gummy material. Once the snake is attached, you can remove the board with snake attached (if necessary using tongs). IIRC you can enable the snake to release itself by pouring a little cooking oil on the snake where it is stuck. I have no idea if they're sold in Hungary, so you might need to order them online.

Assuming you're not talking about dangerous venomous snakes, or maybe even if you are, you might want to preemptively order some "snake tongs", which enable a snake to be grasped safely, for the snake as well as you. They come in different lengths, as long as 2m, maybe longer, but for in home use with smaller snakes, 1.3m should be adequate, and easy to use in confined spaces.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 3rd 2023 at 3:23 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

No 8dea how to catch it. We lost one of 9urs before we sold our house in England. A nice surprise for the new owners
We had a bat hanging off
‚Äčthe oven door in our kitchen once. That was fun to catch.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably found its way outside by now. Snakes aren't normally confrontational.

Cats are good for sorting out small problematic snakes, even venomous ones. I once came home to find one of my cats sitting on the front door step belting the living daylights out of young green mamba. The cat won! We encouraged our cats to go with us when walking through the veldt because they're so much better at detecting snakes than dogs.

I once discovered a snake wrapped round the base of the toilet ..... at 5 am in the morning. Very inconvenient when you're dying to go to the loo. By the time I'd woken my younger son to help catch it, the snake had disappeared. My ten year old assured me there was nothing to worry about and if I woke up in the middle of the night to find it snuggled up to me, to just lie there and not move a muscle until he woke up at some unspecified time in the morning and came to remove it!

Last edited by Sachina; Oct 4th 2023 at 10:07 am.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A glue trap - a board coated in some extremely sticky gummy material. Once the snake is attached, you can remove the board with snake attached (if necessary using tongs). IIRC you can enable the snake to release itself by pouring a little cooking oil on the snake where it is stuck.
Thanks for the info about a glue trap - especially the 'release mechanism' You can get glue traps here sold for catching mice.
Luckily in this area we don't have poisonous snakes, not to say they won't strike if annoyed, no poison but you don't know what infection they might transfer.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
.... Cats are good for sorting out small problematic snakes, even venomous ones. ....
Not only are cats willing and able to take on small snakes, cats are far more effective hunters of mice, frogs, and other small animals that snakes hunt (there is a reason why mammals usurped the reptiles as the dominant land animals). So keeping cats around your home is a good two-pronged strategy for discouraging snakes - cats reduce their food supply, and attack them directly.

We kept outdoor cats for several years (NC, USA), and rarely saw snakes during that time. For several reasons we didn't replace the cats when they died, and now we see snakes from time to time.

All that said, cats are indiscriminate killers, which can cause undesirable collateral consequences. When we got cats they ended the chipmunk colony in the bank in our back garden.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 4th 2023 at 4:17 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a mouse in the living room a week or two back and I still don't really know how it got in. There are a couple of areas of wall and ceiling that are dry lined, something I did to smooth out steps from where the room was extended. When I did that job I could not get wood for the framework, I was told the local practice was to use galvanised steel framework. You would think such a construction would stop mice from getting in behind the plasterboard but this one managed it! I did catch it with a live capture trap but I'm still checking for possible ways mice can get in through cable holes etc. The ceilings here are concrete so it should be possible to mouse-proof the house.
Old Nov 5th 2023, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect we have mice up in our attic and they gained entry via the garage. Above the stairs from garage to ground floor are the stairs to attic so it's likely they scurried up the wall and found a gap. That's why I was in the attic on the day I fell down the attic stairs. Yup, mouse droppings were the tell tale sign. I've not been up there since. I wanted to sweep the droppings up so if there were any fresh droppings it confirms my suspicions!

This reminds me when we were living in England a mouse had come into our house via the open back door. We managed to catch it and I released it a hundred metres from our house.
Old Nov 5th 2023, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I get all sorts of animals in the loft because the roof extends to cover the workshop and garage and the gable end of that is open. I've had carpenter ants in the roof timbers, mice that eat the ants and cats that eat the mice! There are traps up there but there are so many ladybirds just now that the mice don't have to look hard for food. The other day I was checking the traps and there was a mouse happily running around! I've been painting the wooden barn with old engine oil and when doing that I saw mice and a tiny pygmy shrew.