Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Online shopping at Tesco

Online shopping at Tesco

Old Feb 27th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online shopping at Tesco

Just found this by accident and it sounds interesting - though not available where we live:
Does anyone here have experience with this?
Our online shopping service is currently available in Székesfehérvár and in most areas of Budapest, Szeged, Győr and its surroundings.
Untitled Document
Old Feb 28th 2016, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online shopping at Tesco

Originally Posted by wolfi
Just found this by accident and it sounds interesting - though not available where we live:
Does anyone here have experience with this?

Untitled Document
Tesco Miskolc do online shopping, but no use to me as they don't deliver to my area.

I also made an interesting discovery about online food shopping which I hope you won't mind my adding to this thread?

Up till now whenever I need a fresh supply of tea bags, I've asked my DIL in the UK to send them out to me, but so far this year she's done so many favours already for me I felt I couldn't ask for another one. I can sometimes get PG tips tea bags from Tesco and also online from the British Pantry in Budapest, but they're horrifyingly expensive at something like £5.28 for a 120!

After some online searching I came across www.britishfoodstoreonline,co.uk which delivers all over the world. If you purchase £100 of goods or more shipping is free!

I placed an order for £100 including 1150 PG Tips tea bags for £25.89 on Feb 21 which arrived by courier just after lunch on the 26th. Had I bought the equivalent number from Tesco Miskolc it would have cost me £50.60, so quite a saving!

I'll certainly be ordering from them again!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using the Lidl Lord Nelson English Breakfast tea bags at the moment. They are not quite what we are used to in UK but make quite a refreshing cuppa. I always preferred Coop 99 to PG Tips.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since no one here seems to have experience with Tesco online shopping we might as well stay OT:

I still remember the old times (70a and 80s) when I went by car to London (usually over the weekend when during the week I had work to do near the Belgian border - saved me a few hundred miles) several times a year to buy science fiction books (anyone here know the Forbidden Planet shop?) and brought back loads of PG tips, baked beans and bacon for my friends ...

In those days the ferries from Oostende to Dover had a half price offer if you stayed in England for less than 48 or 6o hours ...
And I usually got on the midnight ferry, slept a few hours, and was in London by 8 in the mornig to start the day with a nice English breakfast and then go shop 'til you drop!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I'm using the Lidl Lord Nelson English Breakfast tea bags at the moment. They are not quite what we are used to in UK but make quite a refreshing cuppa. I always preferred Coop 99 to PG Tips.
I don't very often shop at Lidl because the one in Miskolc is small and more like a junk shop, so the only time I go there is when my dogs go to the groomers which is nearby. When I was in England though, Lidl was my favourite food store, because they had a really good selection of Polish and Hungarian sausages, salamis and bread!

I shop at Tesco whenever I want something "typically" British but more often or not I go to Auchan which is on my side of town. In many ways I prefer it, because if I go on a Tuesday I can usually find meat reduced, sometimes by 70% for my dogs and being a French owned company, and my family being half French, I buy a lot of Auchan "own" brands like Pate de Campagne, Cassoulet, biscuits and cleaning products.

Wolfi .. A friend of mine lives in Folkestone and once a month in summer, she and her sister take the ferry to Calais ... costs a £1 return for a day trip .. to do their shopping in Carrefour.

All this talk of food is making me feel hungry!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

And I also remember those Brits that came to Calais (before Britain joined the EU) to buy duty free beer and wine ...
The original duty free shop wasn't big enough so they built a tent in Calais where people would fill the car boots.
I clearly remember having to unload all the beer cans once on the ferry in Folkestone , the lady in charge wanted everything out - 50 liters were allowed duty free, so around 150 cans ...

Those were the days!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:18 am
Just Joined

tweez78 is an unknown quantity at this point

My girlfriend and I use Tesco online at least once a month to do a 'big shop'. Delivery's always been within the time window and you can pay by card at the door which is pretty handy since if something's not available or you're not happy with their suggested replacement of something you don't pay for it.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, tweez!

May I ask where you live? And from where does the delivery lorry come?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

I'm in the little know city of Budapest. :P

No idea where the delivery lorry comes from sorry. Assume it's from the nearest supermarket branch; I don't think there's actually that many in Budapest. Usually pay 4-600huf.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, tweez!

Tesco often has very good prices on some brands (almost like take three - pay two) - filling up your iron reserve then is probably a good idea.
We'll just have to wait whether there'll be more cities in the range some day.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just one thing Be aware when arriving into Budapest Airport they are doing spot check on Arrival I was ask to open up Suitcase they when through on comment was how many Tea Bags could not disprove the amount of PG Tips of 1500 I stated best Tea 🍵 in The World and my Doctor advice to only drink Tea 🍵 it's good medication Reply was ok So decided to given a few Bit of blow parting with PG Tips but at lest giving away some the problem sold So be Careful entering Hungary by Air digger47
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

This will be handy for my brother-in-law ....he won't have to leave the house to get the shopping and he can stay at home having a couple of beers!

When we finally get to Hungary .... think we might use this option but ... it will depend on price differences. Auchan is the nearest on the south side of Miskolc.

Am surprised what Digger47 has said about having his case opened at Budapest Airport and being questioned about the number of tea bags.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FenTiger
This will be handy for my brother-in-law ....he won't have to leave the house to get the shopping and he can stay at home having a couple of beers!

When we finally get to Hungary .... think we might use this option but ... it will depend on price differences. Auchan is the nearest on the south side of Miskolc.

Am surprised what Digger47 has said about having his case opened at Budapest Airport and being questioned about the number of tea bags.
I don't think Auchan have online shopping. I know they will deliver heavy items like a washing machine, free, within a 50 kms radius of Miskolc, but you often have to wait several days until have they several deliveries in your area.

I live too far away from Miskolc to have my groceries delivered by Tesco but maybe that won't apply to you as you live much closer.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sachina
I don't think Auchan have online shopping. I know they will deliver heavy items like a washing machine, free, within a 50 kms radius of Miskolc, but you often have to wait several days until have they several deliveries in your area.

I live too far away from Miskolc to have my groceries delivered by Tesco but maybe that won't apply to you as you live much closer.
I wish to add one thing over here good Cheddar Cheese is hard to find but Inter Spar or offering best I cum across in 7 years Cheddar Tombsajt Feher
1 kelo block today 2.999Ft/Kg
Enjoy it's the best yet digger47
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Just resurrecting this thread to let anyone who's interested that Tesco now appear to be selling lamb on a permanent basis (Although maybe a long term trial). It's been available online since Easter. I assumed it was just for that period but it's been available ever since. It's Irish or NZ in a few cuts (shoulder, leg, steak, chops) and can confirm it's great but not particularly cheap sadly.

I mention it because I've found it quite hit and miss to find it in various butchers (in Budapest anyway) and even then it's a bit meagre.