Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Online grocery shopping Hungary

Online grocery shopping Hungary

Old Nov 21st 2020, 10:47 am
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,591
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
Thank you very much for that piece of information. I've checked my mobile and although it's only 2 years old it doesn't have the WiFi calling facility. However, I don't mind spending the money to replace it with one that does as it would be absolutely invaluable to me. I'm in the vulnerable age group and my local town has a high incidence of infection which makes me very loathe to leave my house to go and do essential shopping. To be able to order my groceries online and be able to pay with my credit card on delivery would give me great peace of mind.
Apps like skype have a phoning facility that could be used and search google make phone call using wifi for other options
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2020, 11:00 am
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
Apps like skype have a phoning facility that could be used and search google make phone call using wifi for other options
Can you pay bills using Skype or Google for home deliveries by companies like Tesco? What I need is to be able to order groceries from Tesco on my laptop and pay for them using my mobile phone.
Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2020, 2:11 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,591
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
Can you pay bills using Skype or Google for home deliveries by companies like Tesco? What I need is to be able to order groceries from Tesco on my laptop and pay for them using my mobile phone.
I don't use skype for phone calls - so sorry I don't know about payments using skype or google. The descriptions of each product should say.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Nov 21st 2020, 6:16 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,613
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Sachina - if there's something you badly need your local friends can't get PM me with a list. I know you mentioned there's alot of work going on with the new motorway but I'll have to come via the scenic route because my car being new I need to run in the engine before I can really put my foot down.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 3:38 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 63
Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Sachina - if there's something you badly need your local friends can't get PM me with a list. I know you mentioned there's alot of work going on with the new motorway but I'll have to come via the scenic route because my car being new I need to run in the engine before I can really put my foot down.
To OP, sorry for OT:

You don't really need to run in modern cars, just drive normally unless you normally drive like Stig Blomqvist late for work.
Benny Kovacs is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 8:15 am
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,613
FenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really niceFenTiger is just really nice
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs View Post
To OP, sorry for OT:

You don't really need to run in modern cars, just drive normally unless you normally drive like Stig Blomqvist late for work.
There's conflicting information about running in an engine.
https://www.whatcar.com/news/do-you-...ew-cars/n13848

I'd rather be careful and extend the life of the engine.
FenTiger is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:28 am
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
I don't use skype for phone calls - so sorry I don't know about payments using skype or google. The descriptions of each product should say.
Skype is just like Facebook Messenger video chat or What's App and you have to pay for it. Google is just another WiFi router and I've already got Tenda WiFi. I don't need to use a mobile phone at home as I have a land line. I just need it to be able to pay with my credit card for any online purchases I make. Companies like Tesco and Auchan don't accept cash on delivery, neither do they accept PayPal..



Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:53 am
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by FenTiger View Post
Sachina - if there's something you badly need your local friends can't get PM me with a list. I know you mentioned there's alot of work going on with the new motorway but I'll have to come via the scenic route because my car being new I need to run in the engine before I can really put my foot down.
Unfortunately the "scenic route" is being incorporated into the motorway - if that makes sense - so you can't avoid the road works.

Thanks for the kind offer,but I wouldn't dream of asking you to risk catching the virus when out shopping for me. On Friday they had 20 new cases in Encs and as the mayor said there are no doubt many more as yet undiagnosed.

I spoke to my son yesterday having sent the Telkom link about VoLTE and VoWiFI phones beforehand, and he agrees a new phone is a small price to pay for my peace of mind, safety and life. I'm going to phone Telkom tomorrow to see how effective a phone will be in my village, and ask them to recommend a good one. My TV, phone and internet is with Telkom so hopefully if it all turns out well they can post the new phone, plus SIM card to me and I'll pay for it over 22 months on my normal bill.That's the theory
Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:56 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,591
Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
Skype is just like Facebook Messenger video chat or What's App and you have to pay for it. Google is just another WiFi router and I've already got Tenda WiFi. I don't need to use a mobile phone at home as I have a land line. I just need it to be able to pay with my credit card for any online purchases I make. Companies like Tesco and Auchan don't accept cash on delivery, neither do they accept PayPal..
Ask your mobile service provider if they support - WIFI calling - Your phone also has to have the feature. Have you asked your mobile provider for a solution?
My son-in-law works from home and had no mobile signal and as it is a business line the service provider gave him a box that sits on the router and acts as an antenna and he picks up and makes mobile calls and the box puts it over the internet. That was some time back and I believe things have moved on now to make such things easier (like your phone uses the internet connection not the mobile connection to an in-house box)

Edit to say cross posted with your 10:53 post.

Does your village social worker do shopping for those in need? When our daughters family were isolating the council phoned up to ask if they needed shopping as they were given this additional duty of support by the Government.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Nov 22nd 2020 at 10:01 am.
Peter_in_Hungary is offline  
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 10:24 am
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
Ask your mobile service provider if they support - WIFI calling - Your phone also has to have the feature. Have you asked your mobile provider for a solution?
My son-in-law works from home and had no mobile signal and as it is a business line the service provider gave him a box that sits on the router and acts as an antenna and he picks up and makes mobile calls and the box puts it over the internet. That was some time back and I believe things have moved on now to make such things easier (like your phone uses the internet connection not the mobile connection to an in-house box)

Edit to say cross posted with your 10:53 post.

Does your village social worker do shopping for those in need? When our daughters family were isolating the council phoned up to ask if they needed shopping as they were given this additional duty of support by the Government.
I spoke to my bank, Telkom and my Credit card provider about the problem some months ago and got nowhere.

Yes we do have our own mini bus and driver in the village who will do shopping for me. However some of the groceries and fresh veggies or fruit I like aren't available in the supermarkets in my local town, only in those in Miskolc,
Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 8:51 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

I've just spoken with Telkom and with a new mobile phone with the WiFi Voice call facility should work. If it doesn't I have 14 days to return it. I couldn't order one online,because for some reason they don't have my ID number, so will have to go into Telkom Miskolc to buy one over the counter.

It will make a whole world of difference to me being able to order and pay for my groceries online.
.

Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:38 pm
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Zala County
Posts: 160
hobgoblins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
I've just spoken with Telkom and with a new mobile phone with the WiFi Voice call facility should work. If it doesn't I have 14 days to return it. I couldn't order one online,because for some reason they don't have my ID number, so will have to go into Telkom Miskolc to buy one over the counter.

It will make a whole world of difference to me being able to order and pay for my groceries online.
.
Maybe worth calling Telekom before you make the journey ... I tried to get a credit top up in Telekom Lenti and the employee refused and said they were not taking cash or card payments in store, citing Covid as the excuse ... not sure if that is company policy or wether he just couldn't be bothered ...
hobgoblins is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 12:54 pm
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by hobgoblins View Post
Maybe worth calling Telekom before you make the journey ... I tried to get a credit top up in Telekom Lenti and the employee refused and said they were not taking cash or card payments in store, citing Covid as the excuse ... not sure if that is company policy or wether he just couldn't be bothered ...
I spoke to Telkom early this morning and was told I can pay over 22 months, with the amount being added to my Telephone/TV/Internet bill. So no money cash/card or otherwise will be needed to complete the transaction. If Telkom in Auchan can't help I'll go to either Telkom in Miskolc Plaza or their main shop in the city centre.



Sachina is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:20 pm
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Hawley
Posts: 306
Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

I placed my 1st online order with Tesco for home delivery this evening. I am so looking forward to not having to deal with the crowds and now the returned 65+ shopping hours which they royally messed up by reducing it to 2 hours a day and then making the 2 hours different on the weekend from the daily hours. The government should have just returned the 9AM-12Noon from the last time. My memory is going and sadly I am not yet 65+ to take advantage of the smaller crowds. It cost an extra 1999 forints to stay home and stay off my feet for a couple hours. Well worth it to me and my back.
Jack_Russells4ever is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2020, 6:47 am
  #30  
BE Enthusiast
 
Sachina's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen Hungary
Posts: 306
Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever View Post
I placed my 1st online order with Tesco for home delivery this evening. I am so looking forward to not having to deal with the crowds and now the returned 65+ shopping hours which they royally messed up by reducing it to 2 hours a day and then making the 2 hours different on the weekend from the daily hours. The government should have just returned the 9AM-12Noon from the last time. My memory is going and sadly I am not yet 65+ to take advantage of the smaller crowds. It cost an extra 1999 forints to stay home and stay off my feet for a couple hours. Well worth it to me and my back.
Were you able to order fresh produce like fruit, veggie , meat, frozen food etc, because according to Tesco and Auchan in Miskolc they're only available for purchase in the store? /. Only tinned goods and items like flour and jam can be ordered for home delivery.

I'm a vegetarian and as fresh produce is essential for my diet it still means I have to go to the shops to buy my fruit and veggies. So annoying!
Sachina is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.