Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Online grocery shopping Hungary

Online grocery shopping Hungary

Old Nov 17th 2020, 6:26 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online grocery shopping Hungary

I have been informed by TESCO that sometime in December 2020 TESCO Hungary will be expanding its home delivery service for shopping to also include the Kaposvar Hungary area. Since the outbreak of Covid 19 there has been a need to extend online shopping to more customers to keep more people out of shops. This is a service that I welcome and hope that will be offered soon all over Hungary. No doubt it will cost a little more. It may give some elderly folks an opportunity to avoid the crowds and make life a little easier. I hope that more food shops will offer home delivery in the near future. I think they plan to expand to most the larger metro areas there online delivery service. If your interested they have a place on their webpage that lets you check to see if online ordering and home delivery is available in your area.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online grocery shopping Hungary

Our village social worker will do the shopping for those in need of the help and has done this for some time. They will also collect medicines and take someone to a hospital appointment if needed, and if 3 or more people want to go shopping they will take them in the village mini bus. A meals on wheels service is also provided for those who need it (from the local school that runs its own kitchen). So home delivery here is not a desperate need.

What services does your village provide?
Old Nov 17th 2020, 7:39 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Our village social worker will do the shopping for those in need of the help and has done this for some time. They will also collect medicines and take someone to a hospital appointment if needed, and if 3 or more people want to go shopping they will take them in the village mini bus. A meals on wheels service is also provided for those who need it (from the local school that runs its own kitchen). So home delivery here is not a desperate need.

What services does your village provide?
Our village offers a meals on wheels program for senior citizens and the disabled, The village offers a mini bus with driver to take seniors to medical appointments and shopping. We have so many elderly that can barely walk any more and they will help those with shopping. The village provides some firewood to the elderly and I think a cash payment around Christmas but not sure why.

I am just happy that home delivery from TESCO will be available for several reasons, I don't like the cue's at any shop, I hate the parking lot due to the folks trying to beg for money and the people trying to sell merchandise from their cars that is mostly overpriced rubbish. If Hungary does a full lock down again home delivery will be a God send for many people. Also truthfully, I have gotten lazy and would rather pay extra and stay away from people and let someone else do the work. Food shopping is my most disliked task. I would rather strim in the garden all weekend than go shopping.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Nov 17th 2020 at 8:33 pm. Reason: added thought
Old Nov 19th 2020, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco have just introduced home delivery to the area in which I live. No use to anyone in our village though because you can only pay by credit/debit card but because we don't get a mobile phone signal in our village we can't. All other companies like Zooplus, Decathlon, H&M, pharmacies etc accept cash. Fortunately it's mainly fresh veggies and fruit I need which I can always ask Sandor our mini bus driver to buy when he goes to town, but it's not the same as being able to choose them yourself and I if I want something like Bok choy then I can only find them somewhere like Tesco or Auchan.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 8:13 am
Banned

Yes, that is a problem if there is no wireless or wired internet connection in an area. Luckily we have great service where I am out both wireless and Fiber optic. I am unsure whether you have fiber optic in your village if you did then possibly if someone does then could possibly prepay for the order online.. With the eventual discontinuation of cash that is being widely predicted in the next few years there will have to be at least a fiber optic line available in shops or they will be unable to operate. I am just speculating but seems like their should be some plan to at least get fiber optic in ever village here in Hungary. There is also a growing network of satellites from Elon Musk Starlink that is going to be available globally very soon. They are already beta testing it now in some places. When it is complete I think I read it will have more than 4000 satellites in orbit. No idea about how expensive it will be. I think they have more than 600 of the satellites already in orbit.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Yes, that is a problem if there is no wireless or wired internet connection in an area. Luckily we have great service where I am out both wireless and Fiber optic. I am unsure whether you have fiber optic in your village if you did then possibly if someone does then could possibly prepay for the order online.. With the eventual discontinuation of cash that is being widely predicted in the next few years there will have to be at least a fiber optic line available in shops or they will be unable to operate. I am just speculating but seems like their should be some plan to at least get fiber optic in ever village here in Hungary. There is also a growing network of satellites from Elon Musk Starlink that is going to be available globally very soon. They are already beta testing it now in some places. When it is complete I think I read it will have more than 4000 satellites in orbit. No idea about how expensive it will be. I think they have more than 600 of the satellites already in orbit.
I have both wifi and internet at home and on my mobile phone. I can order goods from Tesco but not pay for them on delivery because living in a deep valley we don't receive a mobile phone signal which means when I come to pay I can't fill in the authentication code. Having spoken to the bank they will only send to your mobile phone number and Telkom say there's nothing they can do about the lack of signal.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
With the eventual discontinuation of cash that is being widely predicted in the next few years there will have to be at least a fibre optic line available in shops or they will be unable to operate..
Shops already need an internet connection because their cash registers are (must be) on-line to the tax office

Originally Posted by Sachina
and Telkom say there's nothing they can do about the lack of signal.
Not true - what they mean is that they don't want to do anything about it !!

Oh and never mind getting fibre optics to every village, there is still gross discrimination (both fit-up and in legislation) for all infrastructure for anyone living outside the village boundary.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:41 am
Banned

I don't have a smart phone and have never had one. I can order just about anything on my desktop and my bank does NOT require 2 factor identification to be enabled to make online purchases. If it becomes a requirement then I may have to get a mobile but my eyesight is so bad I cannot read the screens on them even with glasses. I would toast if that happened. As long as the delivery driver has a bank card terminal machine hooked to the internet and gets signal in our driveway we should be good to go with online purchases from TESCO. We already shop there but we also try to support our local village shops with the stuff we run out of. I don't see TESCO hurting our local shops.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Shops already need an internet connection because their cash registers are (must be) on-line to the tax office

Not true - what they mean is that they don't want to do anything about it !!

Oh and never mind getting fibre optics to every village, there is still gross discrimination (both fit-up and in legislation) for all infrastructure for anyone living outside the village boundary.
It affects the whole village, not just me.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
It affects the whole village, not just me.
Telkom could fix it for the whole village - but they don't want to spend the money !!
Old Nov 20th 2020, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Benny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond reputeBenny Kovacs has a reputation beyond repute

Telkom could fix it for the whole village - but they don't want to spend the money !!
This is called "commercially not viable"

One of the charms of living in Hungary for me is it's like going back in time 40 years.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs
This is called "commercially not viable"

One of the charms of living in Hungary for me is it's like going back in time 40 years.
There's still rural places in UK where broadband connection is non-existent, mobile coverage zilch. Some villages decided to set up their own fibre optic network. Now they got one of the fastest networks around.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

The not commercially viable doesn't really count as there have been lots of infrastructure grants available (much of it EU money) but the tech companies have chosen to leave out many small villages. Also legislation discriminates e.g. within a village the phone co. must give you a line at a fixed price regardless of cost to themselves, outside the village boundary the customer has to pay half of the real cost. similarly with gas within a village or town the gas co must, by legislation, give you a supply regardless of their cost. outside the village.... well I have a gas line 70m from my boundary but because I did not request a connection when the line was put in (20years ago !!) I am denied a connection now.
IMO infrastructure legislation has as much or more to do with provision than commercial viability.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a possible solution to those with wifi but no mobile signal.
Telekom Hungary offers wifi calling, (https://www.telekom.hu/lakossagi/szo...k/mobil/vowifi) which allows your mobile (probably has to be a quite new model) to use your home wifi network to effective make and receive mobile calls.

I also have a Mastercard debit card that gives you the option to authenticate an online purchase by either receiving a code via SMS or a voice call.

Which allows you can make online purchases without having mobile access.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecurb
There is a possible solution to those with wifi but no mobile signal.
Telekom Hungary offers wifi calling, (https://www.telekom.hu/lakossagi/szo...k/mobil/vowifi) which allows your mobile (probably has to be a quite new model) to use your home wifi network to effective make and receive mobile calls.

I also have a Mastercard debit card that gives you the option to authenticate an online purchase by either receiving a code via SMS or a voice call.

Which allows you can make online purchases without having mobile access.
Thank you very much for that piece of information. I've checked my mobile and although it's only 2 years old it doesn't have the WiFi calling facility. However, I don't mind spending the money to replace it with one that does as it would be absolutely invaluable to me. I'm in the vulnerable age group and my local town has a high incidence of infection which makes me very loathe to leave my house to go and do essential shopping. To be able to order my groceries online and be able to pay with my credit card on delivery would give me great peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.