Reload this Page >

Off Grid Solar Set Up

Off Grid Solar Set Up

Old May 8th 2014, 3:09 am
Just Joined

ecojon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off Grid Solar Set Up

Hello there

Does anyone know of a good supplier of Solar Panels in Hungary?

I am looking to import from the UK if I cannot find a supplier who is similar on price. Bimble Solar seems to be the best supplier I have found so far. Needs to come in at around 55p a watt.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2014, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Grid Solar Set Up

If you are concerned about the planet it is worth checking that any solar panels you buy are made in an eco friendly way. This article may be of interest:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennif..._b_554717.html
Old May 8th 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ecojon
Are you going for solar power because you want to be off grid, or just that the property you are looking at doesn't have grid connection?

IMO from an environmental view point, by the time you have factored in the batteries and replacement of those every few years along with the environmental cost of the panels there's not much to choose between solar and the grid and the grid, from the point of view of the user, is much easier and cheaper to maintain.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It may be fallacious but I heard that some of the solar panels that generate electricity use more energy in their manufacture than they generate in their lifetime. The ones that heat water are much better in my opinion.
Old May 8th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

ecojon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for taking the time to reply. In answer to all the replies above, I don't have a choice really.

The properties I am looking at don't have a grid connection as they are located some way outside the village. From my research, it seems that getting a connection, regardless of cost, takes a very long time. Someone I remember on this forum stated that they have been waiting over 7 months after they paid the installation cost.

I need electricity from the get go so I can renovate the property and live there.

What to do?
Old May 8th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a grid connection if possible, its probably cheaper in the long run at anything up to 1km or more. It depends if you are allowed overhead wires or whether you would be forced to use underground cable. If you need underground cable you can dig your own trench and put your own (approved) cable in. Much cheaper than paying the elec. co. price for the work. A few years back I had 500m of water pipe put in, it took a JCB 2 days - job done. (you can probably get your own poles put up as well but I've not heard of people doing that)

Whilst you are waiting for the power connection you could get a petrol powered generator which you could sell on afterwards.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

afletcher30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ecojon I too would be interested in the reply you get. I work in the construction industry in the UK and arguably the cost/benefit analysis on photovoltaics has been historically poor, as some people say the embodied energy in the production of the silica outweighed the energy they produced over their lifetime. The only thing in the UK which now makes them viable is the feedback tariffs. However, that said, I want our house to be off grid and self sufficient. There is no telling where energy is heading in the future and I would prefer to not be beholden to an energy supplier, so whilst more expensive it does guarantee your supply
Old Aug 5th 2014, 5:44 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Another consideration when buying solar is batteries and battery life. Buy once, cry once, but the best batteries you can afford and keep up the required maintenance.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you have access to the grid I would suggest grid with enough solar to be neutral (you can sell to the grid here but the FIT is nothing like as good as the UK and delay the independence (batteries etc.) until economic.

There was a grant for PV last year, but it only applied to businesses, private houses were excluded but I believe there are some grants but they are are usually neck deep in paper work.

I am off grid for water and the additional work and liability (plus cost of the occasional pump) means it is not as cheap as some expect.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

We had solar in Spain from necessity and I do not know where the hype comes from but it was pretty rubbish. This was a proper system with multi panels, a large battery suite etc. The batteries held a nominal 6 kw but you have to have a govenor at around 5.5/5.7 kw to prevent accidental overheating. Take your net 5.5kw and work our for yourself what you actually get. Less than 2 hours with a fan heater on full chat. Couple of 100w bulbs on all night, tv and a light or 2. There is not enough kick in the batteries to start a microwave etc. So you also need a genny for washing machines etc. We had one with an lpg conversion and a large bottle lasted about 12 hours of running. Flatten your batteries and you can forget a recharge for ages. We had this just after installation (there was a fault in our wiring which drained the batteries) the company came back and also recharged the batteries with a special pack running off a genny. Charge for 30 secs, no charge 30 secs and so on. It took all day to recharge to abour 5kw!!!!!!!!

Personally we thought it was a right load of hyped up nonsense at a domestic level.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:32 pm
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecojon
Thanks for taking the time to reply. In answer to all the replies above, I don't have a choice really.

The properties I am looking at don't have a grid connection as they are located some way outside the village. From my research, it seems that getting a connection, regardless of cost, takes a very long time. Someone I remember on this forum stated that they have been waiting over 7 months after they paid the installation cost.

I need electricity from the get go so I can renovate the property and live there.

What to do?
We waited for ages but it was worth it in the end!

We found the delay was because EON had agreed to supply an 80 amp (I think maybe 60, I now forget) supply, but the existing supply up the hill was far less. To be fair to them, rather than just saying they had made a mistake in signing the supply contract to provide high amps, they improved the supply from the village all the way up the hill which built in delay as adjustments had to be made in each house coming up the hill. They did comment that they had not planned to improve the supply here but having signed up with us they would stick to the contract.

After complaints they set up a temporary supply hanging from temporary poles but in the end the final full version had to go underground on the last section

It was a pain to wait (though we did not live there at the time) but the end result is very good never having to worry about powering things up.