Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Old Jul 14th 2021, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Originally Posted by duztee

New I.D. card arrived in this mornings post.
Now I only(?) need to take my new card back to the local office with the secret squirrel letter they gave me 5 weeks ago with the specific instructions not to open it, and they will confirm and authorise the new card.
So that is where I am off to right now, if there is no follow up post in the next few hours you can assume all went to plan. :-)
This is the 1st time I have seen anything referring to the letter.. I was given one & no instructions what to do with it. I have already opened it but I am guessing that codes in there are ones they use to activate the new card? All I was told was that it will arrive in a week or so & there was nothing more to be done.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 14th 2021 at 8:52 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jul 14th 2021, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I received the letter with codes in it. I used it to create a user ID for the online government gateway, which allows you to access many government online systems, with the one user id. But most of the websites only offer Hungarian. I have only used it to access the Tax office.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

I already have one of those accounts set up so I am guessing the codes in the letter are of no use to me. Do you need to do something with the ID card on that site as well?
Old Jul 15th 2021, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, ok, I thought that you need an ID card before you could get a govnerment gateway userid, you may need to check if you can still use your current userID, because it is supposed to be linked to your ID card, which you have only just received.

I was only using the Tax office site to get a Tax number. But unfortunately you cannot do that online if you are applying for it the first time. So I need to visit the local Tax Office.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Time will tell I guess lol. Will see what info etc comes with the ID card. Even setting the gateway up on line the first time had to be done in person & then only lasts for 2 years
Old Oct 5th 2021, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied the woman said once received you can come back to activate it when you receive your secret code card. She shrugged her shoulders and said but you do not have to activate it ?? .
Old Oct 6th 2021, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

The secret code is used during creation of your user id to the Hungarian government online gateway. (you can do this yourself at home, on the Internet).
Having the online gateway ID is not manditory.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Emod Kormanyablak to apply for an I.D.card. Presented the letter I received asking me to do so along with my permanent residence card and address card. The lady at the kiosk said I did not need to apply for an I.D.card as the permanent residence card is all I needed!
When I applied for the permanent residence card my photo and finger prints were "taken" but the latter didn't work. Permanent residence card has a photo.
So the question is ..... do I need to go back, probably the office in Miskolc and not Emod?

Last edited by FenTiger; Nov 2nd 2021 at 10:05 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Went to Emod Kormanyablak to apply for an I.D.card. Presented the letter I received asking me to do so along with my permanent residence card and address card. The lady at the kiosk said I did not need to apply for an I.D.card as the permanent residence card is all I needed!
When I applied for the permanent residence card my photo and finger prints were "taken" but the latter didn't work. Permanent residence card has a photo.
So the question is ..... do I need to go back, probably the office in Miskolc and not Emod?
I was told the same thing by the Immigration Office in Miskolc. I'll see what they say tomorrow when I go to the Kormanyablak in Encs. You could try Miskolc again, If I remember rightly the office is on Mindszent ter Miskolc.

This states quite clearly that you are eligible for an ID card.

https://www.nyilvantarto.hu/en/personal_identity_card

Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I was told the same thing by the Immigration Office in Miskolc. I'll see what they say tomorrow when I go to the Kormanyablak in Encs. You could try Miskolc again, If I remember rightly the office is on Mindszent ter Miskolc.

This states quite clearly that you are eligible for an ID card.

https://www.nyilvantarto.hu/en/personal_identity_card
Very frustrating!
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

British Embassy information:

Visas and residency

You must carry photo identification (eg. passport) at all times - a copy will not be accepted, in case you are asked by the Hungarian authorities to prove your identity.

Once you have your National Permanent Residence Permit, you also need to apply at your local government office (‘kormányhivatal’) for a Hungarian personal identification (ID) card (in Hungarian).

You will need to present your National Permanent Residence Permit and your address card (lakcímkártya), if you have one. When you have the ID card you do not need to carry your passport with you.

So us Brits are right!
Old Sep 1st 2022, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,
Last year we received our post-Brexit address and residency cards. I've now received a letter saying I have to apply for a permanent ID card.
I am a bit confused - has anyone else been through this process?
Many thanks
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Hi everyone,
Last year we received our post-Brexit address and residency cards. I've now received a letter saying I have to apply for a permanent ID card.
I am a bit confused - has anyone else been through this process?
Many thanks
Is your residency card temporary or permanent for a fixed period? If yes, see my post above. Take the letter and any requested as per the application.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes (going back a bit) you go to your local document office with address/residency cards and passport (just in case) and they will take your photo again, form filling etc. Your new permanent residency card will have 5 years on it before it expires.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Is your residency card temporary or permanent for a fixed period? If yes, see my post above. Take the letter and any requested as per the application.
It's perm for a fixed period - 5 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.