Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Old May 30th 2021, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Japes99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

I am sure this question has been asked many times, so I apologise if it has already been answered, but can anyone tell me what we have to do to get these cards?

We have got our Permanent Residence cards (as of March this year), Hungarian driving licences, TAJ cards, Address cards, etc, but ,stumped as to how to get ID cards.

We went to our local Kormanyablak (in Ózd) but they weren't able to help. They did register us for our vaccination cards, so not a complete waste of time!

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!

Living in hope
Old May 30th 2021, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

I did it a couple of months ago. Yes, you get it at the Kormanyablak, they were only allowing appointments when I went, but it is just requesting your first ID card, and it will be as a permanent resident not a Hungarian Citizen, but the process is the same and takes about 30 mins, ID, photos finger prints etc.. They post it to you in 5 to 7 days.
Make sure they understand you have a National Permanent Residence Permit. Tartozkodasi Engedely. You need to take the printed certificate as well as the card.
Old May 31st 2021, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Since the permanent residence card already has photo etc on it does one really need a separate ID card?
How much extra benefit will I gain from getting the proper ID card as well?
Old May 31st 2021, 8:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Since the permanent residence card already has photo etc on it does one really need a separate ID card?
How much extra benefit will I gain from getting the proper ID card as well?
I am guessing that you will no longer need to rely on your British passport.
Old May 31st 2021, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I am guessing that you will no longer need to rely on your British passport.
The residence card for foreigners is only good within Hungary (and usually has to be accompanied by your address card) and is noted "not valid for travel abroad" on the back. The old version was not so noted and a few years ago I got as far as the UK boarder force in Calais before it was rejected (and they seemed more upset that as a Brit I was not using my UK passport).
Old May 31st 2021, 10:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
The residence card for foreigners is only good within Hungary (and usually has to be accompanied by your address card) and is noted "not valid for travel abroad" on the back. The old version was not so noted and a few years ago I got as far as the UK boarder force in Calais before it was rejected (and they seemed more upset that as a Brit I was not using my UK passport).
I understood that about the residence card but I thought the ID was good throughout Schengen, no?
Old May 31st 2021, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Obtaining an Hungarian ID card

Originally Posted by ecurb
I did it a couple of months ago. Yes, you get it at the Kormanyablak, they were only allowing appointments when I went, but it is just requesting your first ID card, and it will be as a permanent resident not a Hungarian Citizen, but the process is the same and takes about 30 mins, ID, photos finger prints etc.. They post it to you in 5 to 7 days.
Make sure they understand you have a National Permanent Residence Permit. Tartozkodasi Engedely. You need to take the printed certificate as well as the card.

Is it the Kormanyablak,office or the Innigration office for the 2nd card? They are different offices. I was told by Immigration to return my old card there but no mention of having to apply for an ID card. It has been plain sailing up to this bit.
Old May 31st 2021, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I understood that about the residence card but I thought the ID was good throughout Schengen, no?
I was told by officials that the forign residents ID was only good in Hungary and I would still need a passport outside of Hungary, but then that was a verbal answer to a question. I have not seen anything written either way.
When I got as far as Calais previously this was with my old ID card which did not say "not valid for travel abroad" on the back and the only difference between the old one and my Hungarian wife's ID card was the colour. (mine green hers blue). So the new card is different to the old one - but that does not prove it is not valid for the Schengen zone. I have also been told that I should have the card with me (along with my passport) when I go abroad because this proves residency in Hungary so I won't fall foul of the 90 day rule in the schengen zone.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Japes99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Japes99
I am sure this question has been asked many times, so I apologise if it has already been answered, but can anyone tell me what we have to do to get these cards?

We have got our Permanent Residence cards (as of March this year), Hungarian driving licences, TAJ cards, Address cards, etc, but ,stumped as to how to get ID cards.

We went to our local Kormanyablak (in Ózd) but they weren't able to help. They did register us for our vaccination cards, so not a complete waste of time!

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!

Living in hope
I am confused as to why we couldn't get this done at our local Kormanyablak (in Ózd). This is the same office where we got our HU driving licences from, with no problem.

They definitely seemed to understand what we were trying to do, but just waved our residence cards at us and pointed to the address of the issuing office on it.

Its it worth going back and having another bash?
Old Jun 1st 2021, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest trying again.

It is difficult if they do not understand what you require, or have not done it before for a foreign citizen, here are two links to web pages in Hungarian, the first is the procedure that you are requesting, the code is OKMIR00009

Kormányablak - Feladatkörök - Állandó személyazonosító igazolvány kiadása iránti kérelem

the second is a link to the OIF page explaining the National permanent residence permit. It contains a section that states you can apply for a personal ID Card, and also that as a foreign citizen you cannot use it for EU travel (you should use your passport).

Nemzeti letelepedési engedély

This is stated, in the section titled KAPCSOLODO JOGOK ES KOTELEZETTSEGEK, in the 7th paragraph. (because Britexpats does not like special characters I have changed them to the English letters, by the way there is also an English translation of this page on the OIF website)

If you have a printer, go to the webpages and print them out and take them with you, it may help them understand what you want. But if you just show the the code OKMIR00009 it may help too.

Definately you are entitled to this card, infact the OIF site says you are obliged to request it.

Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

So for a totally up to the minute update.
I have just been to my local office to check on the progress of my plastic vaccination card, since I was there I took the opportunity to enquire about an I.D. Card.
Short simple answer was they did all the documentation then and there + photo and finger print scan.
BUT!!!!! This is Hungary and nothing is ever that simple.
At the present time the 'connection' between the camera in the office and the facility responsible for producing the card is not working. and it 'may' take a few days to fix.
I suspect this may well be the same facility which is producing the plastic vaccine cards since these are also delayed.
So probably just a complete system overload.

SO your local kormanyablak is the correct place to apply but I have no way of knowing if the system fault is local to me or may well be affecting other parts of the country also.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

JBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond reputeJBinhungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
So for a totally up to the minute update.
I have just been to my local office to check on the progress of my plastic vaccination card, since I was there I took the opportunity to enquire about an I.D. Card.
Short simple answer was they did all the documentation then and there + photo and finger print scan.
BUT!!!!! This is Hungary and nothing is ever that simple.
At the present time the 'connection' between the camera in the office and the facility responsible for producing the card is not working. and it 'may' take a few days to fix.
I suspect this may well be the same facility which is producing the plastic vaccine cards since these are also delayed.
So probably just a complete system overload.

SO your local kormanyablak is the correct place to apply but I have no way of knowing if the system fault is local to me or may well be affecting other parts of the country also.

So return the old card to immigration & then go to the Kormany, with the new photo ID which I have already received, card & letter after 25/29 days to receive an additional card? Both are separate locations here in Kaposvar.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was never asked or instructed to return my old card. I might enquire next time I am in the office, just to be sure I am not upsetting the system.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBinhungary
So return the old card to immigration & then go to the Kormany, with the new photo ID which I have already received, card & letter after 25/29 days to receive an additional card? Both are separate locations here in Kaposvar.
I have to return my old card to Immigration in Miskolc, but for everything else I have to go to the Kormanyablak in Encs.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have to return my old card to Immigration in Miskolc, but for everything else I have to go to the Kormanyablak in Encs.
When we applied at Kaposvar for the Somogy area we were asked to return the old cards to Pecs (address given to me) once the new cards were received. Just waiting for mine, once received will send by recorded delivery, job done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.