Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Non resident tax obligations

Non resident tax obligations

Old Dec 17th 2021, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Masca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non resident tax obligations

Hi. I'm just looking for confirmation that I have the correct end of the stick, so to speak!

I'm hopefully soon to be a dual citizen of Hungary and UK! I am full time resident in the UK (from birth) and all my income is UK sourced. My understanding is that as a non-resident (no property owned there and not present in Hungary for more than 183 days in any year) Hungarian citizen, I will not be required to pay any tax in Hungary. Is my understanding correct?

Also, will I have to submit a (zero) tax return in Hungary? I don't see any reason why I should need to obtain (or be given) a tax ID number even, in which case I assume that a tax return can't in fact be made?

TIA!
Old Dec 17th 2021, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non resident tax obligations

If you are not resident in Hungary and have no Hungarian income then the tax authorities have no interest. You won't be given a tax number, - you have to ask for one. You will need a tax number if you have a Hungarian income (earned or otherwise) or you want to buy property here, otherwise nothing to do.
Old Dec 17th 2021, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Masca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non resident tax obligations

Perfect! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.