Reload this Page >

non-EU Registration/residency documentation in Hungary

non-EU Registration/residency documentation in Hungary

Old Mar 31st 2016, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default non-EU Registration/residency documentation in Hungary

Hi,

I'm finding a variety of info on this but it is mostly undated so it's hard to know what current policy is.

First, can anyone advise if foreign documents (eg. marriage cert for a non-EU) need to be translated into Hungarian or is English accepted?

Also I've read that a non-EU trying for residency requires certified and translated proof of education/training. Is this still the case?

Any advice about other requirements to be wary of would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

almafak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: non-EU Registration/residency documentation in Hungary

The national immigration office has an excellent website. The information regarding third-country spouses of EEA citizens is here. Document in a foreign language need to be attested and translated at an official OFFI office.

I found the immigration official at the office I used for obtaining residence (Szombathely) very helpful. He went out of his way to make things run smoothly.

Proof of education appears only required if the third-country citizen wants to apply for a licence to drive a car Certain employment categories will obviously require the originals of any certificates and licences (which will need to be attested by OFFI).
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickster000
Hi,

I'm finding a variety of info on this but it is mostly undated so it's hard to know what current policy is.

First, can anyone advise if foreign documents (eg. marriage cert for a non-EU) need to be translated into Hungarian or is English accepted?

Also I've read that a non-EU trying for residency requires certified and translated proof of education/training. Is this still the case?

Any advice about other requirements to be wary of would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
You mat find that not many people on these forums will have the answers as this is a BRITISH expats forum, and therefore not many people on the forums are not British.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You mat find that not many people on these forums will have the answers as this is a BRITISH expats forum, and therefore not many people on the forums are not British.
I still needed to apply for Hungarian residence at the immigration office, even though I am British!

I personally know at least 2 other British expats that have taken residence in Hungary with their non-EU wives.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by almafak
I still needed to apply for Hungarian residence at the immigration office, even though I am British!

I personally know at least 2 other British expats that have taken residence in Hungary with their non-EU wives.
That's very true, and I had to do the same in Spain, but as to whether the documentation is the same for Brits or other EU people may well be different if the person that is the main applicant is from a non EU state. Requirements may well be very different, or the same, but not many people on here have been the main applicant and are not from the EU. There were different queues at the offices for people from non EU countries when I was getting official paperwork done in Spain.
It's the same here in the UK, non EU people have a lot more hoops to jump through if they want to live here, EU people, and their non EU wives or husbands can just move over.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's very true, and I had to do the same in Spain, but as to whether the documentation is the same for Brits or other EU people may well be different if the person that is the main applicant is from a non EU state. Requirements may well be very different, or the same, but not many people on here have been the main applicant and are not from the EU. There were different queues at the offices for people from non EU countries when I was getting official paperwork done in Spain.
It's the same here in the UK, non EU people have a lot more hoops to jump through if they want to live here, EU people, and their non EU wives or husbands can just move over.
However, a British citizen can only bring their non-EU partner to the UK to live if they have an income over £18,600 per year and if the spouse has passed a proficiency exam in written and spoken English! Hence the Surinder Singh route!
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

rickster000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by almafak
The national immigration office has an excellent website. The information regarding third-country spouses of EEA citizens is here. Document in a foreign language need to be attested and translated at an official OFFI office.

I found the immigration official at the office I used for obtaining residence (Szombathely) very helpful. He went out of his way to make things run smoothly.

Proof of education appears only required if the third-country citizen wants to apply for a licence to drive a car Certain employment categories will obviously require the originals of any certificates and licences (which will need to be attested by OFFI).
Many thanks for the info. Very useful. Ta.