Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Old Dec 22nd 2018, 3:33 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Originally Posted by wolfi
Well - I don't like it and neither do I drink German Jägermeister which is often called "Leberkleister" i e liver paste ...
But I know people here who drink it with every meal and I just brought two bottles to family in Germany who like it too, but only have a glass once in a while.

PS and not too much OT:
When I first came to Hungary I was kind of shocked how cheap pálinka was and that the regular portion was 40 or 50 ml - around 1.5 ounces (in Germany it's 20 ml, less than an ounce). 30 ml is a "small drink" or a lady's portion
But of course that's nothing compared to the East of Europe!
We once drove our camping van through Bulgaria (wanted to go to Turkey) and invited the guy who helped us on the camp site to a drink - he ordered "shto gramm" (100 ml), that's more than three ounces which he downed in one gulp ...

I learned the hard way about the size of drinks here at the local pub. Three of the large shots of Unicum someone gave me and a couple other friends during the last World Cup Match plus about 5 of the Borsodi 500ml made for a rather staggering walk home. I won't make that mistake again.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 11:16 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Bit of drizzle/ rain this morning but not enough to keep me off the garden work, just gathering leaves, sawing some dead branches, collecting green stuff for my wife to decorate. Very mild & pleasant yesterday, just turned nice this afternoon with the sun putting in an appearance from time to time! All good.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 11:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

They give it and then they take it away (the snow)!
Old Dec 24th 2018, 2:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Expatrick
They give it and then they take it away (the snow)!
Happy enough without it this year

Unicum - I like it, too. Only my wife doesn't like me liking it so I never get it. Been a while. Might pop down the kocsma just for old times' sake if I see a few cars outside.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Unicum - I like it, too. Only my wife doesn't like me liking it so I never get it.
Snap, still got some anyway!
Old Dec 26th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I like Unicum but prefer the szilva refrigerated. Also like Jaegermeister but prefer it in a shot glass dropped in a pint of strong beer. We introduced the locals to it when we had a bar in the village. It went down a storm

As for the weather....most of the snow's gone now but everything is soaked now. The sun's out and the temperature has picked up a little.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:32 pm
Banned

I had about 90 mins to kill around Parlament this afternoon, I had a good look for Unicum at a reasonable price in the bars but failed miserably. I will resort to Plan B or C.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 9:20 pm
Banned

7-7-5-5-8-5

sounds good next 6 days
Old Dec 28th 2018, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
7-7-5-5-8-5

sounds good next 6 days
Calm before the storm?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Snowing again!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:35 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Snowing again near Kaposvar

2019 8 1
Old Jan 8th 2019, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Currently running on the Children's railway in BP

Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

It started here yesterday also but fortunately not as much as expected. Our 25 minute drive home took about 50 minutes as the roads were just ice under the snow. That didn't stop a handful of idiots overtaking at stupid speeds on the country roads. Very little extra snow today though and the main roads in Eger are clear now.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:44 am
Banned

Yep we also had a good 7-8cm in the Pilis last Friday night/ Saturday morning (in the Pilis Hills) & the kids made a snowman etc in the garden - good 'sticking' snow.

Was a bit worried about getting to the airport on Sunday as the threat was partial melt and then re-freeze overnight into total ice on the roads - and quite a few flights got delayed 3 hrs or so on Saturday - while they cleared the runway & de-iced - but on Sunday it was OK, we were actually delayed nearly an hour but made most of it up in the air. Ferihegy was absolute chaos pre-Security - I've never seen it so bad, about 30 mins queueing & jostling by certain people, to get bags x-rayed - but the usual oasis of calm the other side.