Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No snow this Xmas/ New Year

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
Looks like a couple of cms snow coming up on 15th-17th.

We keep the snow tyres on permanently now, got fed up with the change fee twice a year & don't drive enough in the warmer holidays to worry about excessive wear/ worse grip.
A lot of people buy a second set of rims either new or from a breakers or on line so they just change wheels at home. A couple of years of biannual tyre changes gets the price of a second hand set of rims (unless you want exotic alloys)

Personally in 25 years I have never used winter tyres, I just have all terrain tyres all year around on the Land Rover and have never had problems.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 5:56 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A lot of people buy a second set of rims either new or from a breakers or on line so they just change wheels at home. A couple of years of biannual tyre changes gets the price of a second hand set of rims (unless you want exotic alloys)

Personally in 25 years I have never used winter tyres, I just have all terrain tyres all year around on the Land Rover and have never had problems.
Our village in the Pilis Hills is far too hilly for anything but winter tyres, they are much better than 4x4 fitted with all terrains. I guess on the flat you could get away with it if the tyre was good enough. Here in the UK we have a Toyota Hilux with pretty good tyres (Pirelli Scorpion all terrains) and in 4WD in the snow it's nothing like as good as the cars in Hungary.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Afaik all season tyres don't live as long as summer tires - especially at German Autobahn speeds ...
So since many years on all my cars I've had winter tyres on rims which I changed myself when I was younger - now I have them changed and balanced every October which costs me 3 000 HUF (now 3400) and they also check them in that little shop ...

For someone doing more than 20 000 km a years this is worth it - tyres live longer - with only 8 000 km I agree with Enter.
And I've read that below 7 Celsius summer tyres don't work as good as winter tyres - better safe than sorry!

PS and rather OT:
On one of my many visits to London (buying books ...) there was snow in Southern England - it seems most people don't have winter tyres there so it was a kind of catastrophe driving for them ...
Old Dec 13th 2018, 9:01 pm
Banned

Wolfi, UK people don't (99%) actually understand why winter tyres are a good idea. And even if they sort of know (the car columns in newspapers often bring up the subject & stress that winter tyres are much more effective/ safer at lower temperatures/ icy roads not just in snow - their attitude is that it generally only snows for a very few days each year on average, so it's not worth the expense of switching to winter tyres. Hence the chaos with just a light dusting/ 2cms of snow.

I'm sort of in that camp, living in Cornwall with the Gulf Stream bringing in mild weather from the west, we rarely get any snow except on the hills. But I do (a) have a 4X4 and (b) have fitted these https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/a...gaAnfAEALw_wcB to my normal car. The Quatracs review extremely well for snow driving - they might be all terrain but they have the proper snow tyre tread and are meant to be 90% as good in the snow as a real winter tyre. We'll see!
Old Dec 14th 2018, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
Wolfi, UK people don't (99%) actually understand why winter tyres are a good idea. And even if they sort of know (the car columns in newspapers often bring up the subject & stress that winter tyres are much more effective/ safer at lower temperatures/ icy roads not just in snow - their attitude is that it generally only snows for a very few days each year on average, so it's not worth the expense of switching to winter tyres. Hence the chaos with just a light dusting/ 2cms of snow.

I'm sort of in that camp, living in Cornwall with the Gulf Stream bringing in mild weather from the west, we rarely get any snow except on the hills. But I do (a) have a 4X4 and (b) have fitted these https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/a...gaAnfAEALw_wcB to my normal car. The Quatracs review extremely well for snow driving - they might be all terrain but they have the proper snow tyre tread and are meant to be 90% as good in the snow as a real winter tyre. We'll see!
Few years ago, in Hampshire, 5/6 cms of snow. Me, 50km commute, MX5 - made it. My boss, 40km, Ford Focus, made it. Our assistant, 7km, 4 wheel drive Volvo, didn't.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Totally forgot:
I'm not sure about hungary but in Austria and Germany it's the law:
You must have mounted winter (or all season) tyres from November first "if the weather demands it"!
So it might happen that at the border you're sent back.
And I know that there's one main road (no 86) at least near the Slovenian border where often in winter trucks are stopped by the police if they don't have snow chains.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

2-3 cm of snow here. How inconvenient. Rude even. Hopefully it is finished as we have a lot to do. Have to pick up a kitchen on Monday and supposed to be starting to move things down to the new house today so could have lived without it as we then have to leave for the UK on Weds.

Run out of time to get new winter tyres for the recently purchased preloved Subaru so today will be fun I am sure. So using the trailer is out until my FIL brings back my van which does have winter tyres.

Definately worth it.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Same here in Buda...

Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:32 pm
Banned

yep was just sneeking a peek
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/we...da-castle.html
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:34 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Same here near Kaposvar, near the Somogy Baranya line. Probably 4-5 cm and still falling.
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Forecasting 8 cm for today - now that is rude!
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Still snowing here in Zala County with lots more forecast !!

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 14th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a bit more than I thought!!!! 4WD with low range gear box did it nicely. Just engine breaking and not go too fast, it was easier on the unmetalled roads actually. Will have to think about the future of my tyres though in January.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Stegy is an unknown quantity at this point

Few years ago, in Hampshire, 5/6 cms of snow. Me, 50km commute, MX5 - made it. My boss, 40km, Ford Focus, made it. Our assistant, 7km, 4 wheel drive Volvo, didn't..

I think that shows that the most important factor in winter snow driving ( and all other extreme/off road /difficult, conditions )is not the tyres or the car but the driver and their knowledge and respect for the conditions. Landys (defenders not discovery) and other good off road full 4 wheel drive vehicles will cope with situations that normal saloon type cars just cant even contemplate whatever tyres they have,. But for basic driving on snowy and icy roads, winter tyres and an aware driver are the crucial factors.
Old Dec 15th 2018, 1:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Stegy
Few years ago, in Hampshire, 5/6 cms of snow. Me, 50km commute, MX5 - made it. My boss, 40km, Ford Focus, made it. Our assistant, 7km, 4 wheel drive Volvo, didn't..

I think that shows that the most important factor in winter snow driving ( and all other extreme/off road /difficult, conditions )is not the tyres or the car but the driver and their knowledge and respect for the conditions. Landys (defenders not discovery) and other good off road full 4 wheel drive vehicles will cope with situations that normal saloon type cars just cant even contemplate whatever tyres they have,. But for basic driving on snowy and icy roads, winter tyres and an aware driver are the crucial factors.
Don't entirely agree with the skill of the driver bit. In our village, absolutely everybody AFAIK fits winter tyres - it's in the hills and always gets a big snowfall sooner or later. The village is too poor to make much attempt at snow-clearing. Yet nobody gets stuck, because of those winter tyres. Good drivers, bad drivers, they all manage fine because of the superior winter/ snow grip. My wife is a bit of a panicker in the snow (and she's not actually that brilliant a driver) - but she copes fine with it all. And the village is pretty hilly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.