Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

No mow May - and June/ July/ August

No mow May - and June/ July/ August

Old Jun 1st 2023, 11:50 am
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default No mow May - and June/ July/ August

I guess you heard about No mow May.

My wife is prone to finding something or other to have a good old moan about - that's why I love her lol.

So the latest one is sending me photos of our big garden from 15 years ago and saying it was better back then, with loads more daisies amongst other things.

For the record, I never really treated our meadow/ grass lawn with anything chemical, I can't be bothered and don't want the expense and I like it as it is. So it's full of dandelions, poppies, buttercups, violets, some orchids, loads of other wildflowers I don't know the name of - and daisies, along with the grass.

So I have adopted what I think is the perfect response, which is not to mow it, so that the daisies have time to seed themselves and spread. We do have what I estimate to be 250,000 daisies - but I'd be perfectly happy with 500,000.

I did actually have a professional gardener in last week, I was chatting with a mate and he (gardener) was working there, then came round to give me his business card. I showed him round; I was somewhat embarrassed as the garden is a mess with no mowing, I explained the daisy strategy and he said I should wait until the end of August before mowing.

Which sounds great to me.

Guess what my wife's next big old moan will be? Messy garden.
Old Jun 16th 2023, 5:16 am
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No mow May - and June/ July/ August

Unfortunately for insects, I got fed up with the 'messy' look - my son started mowing everything yesterday. With any luck, some daisies will have self-seeded. Daffs and other spring stuff like snowdrops, tulips, Chionodoxa, Colchicum etc all had a decent chance in the sun for a few weeks, ie regenerating for next year.

Garden and meadow immediately looking tiptop.

Mower a bit dodgy.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 8:31 am
Banned

One for Peter - you can eat day lilies/ Hemerocallis flowers as well, I had a munch on 2 just now. Not as good/ tasty as Nasturtiums but very colourful.

Just for a laugh I sometimes put them in salads when my in-laws come round - they think I'm trying to poison them and won't eat them lol.

Bit of a waste of nice-looking flowers, though. We've got literally hundreds, so no big deal to eat a few. Very easy to propagate.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 10:43 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a fan of not mowing/strimming. Why? because of snakes and the mole hills and holes left behind by moles. I am handicapped and I cannot enjoy my property if I have to fear falling down after tripping over a mole hill or stepping on a snake because of tall grass and weeds..During the grass and weed growing season I have my property cut every 7 or 8 days at the most. When I purchased my property it had bricks, roofing tiles and all kinds of construction debris left in piles behind my barn and in the front garden. I worked hard to get it all cleaned up and hauled to a proper tip.
I have one of the best maintained lawns in my village at this time and I pride myself in not being the neighbour that everyone complains about for having no pride about the appearance of the property. Sure my place needs more improvement and I am always doing projects to improve my property. It is certainly in a much better state now than it was before I purchased it. I do like the wild flowers that grow in the meadow behind my property but their view is obscurred by the stinging nettles. If I want flowers I will have to source them at a garden center and hire someone to maintain them.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Jun 19th 2023 at 10:47 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 19th 2023, 12:02 pm
Banned

We have got several ant hills but one particularly huge one = I told my son to leave it well alone as I like to give those fellow Earthies a decent chance in life.

Garden full of fledgling bluetits and great tits.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Wildflower gardens are very attractive.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 4:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I am not a fan of not mowing/strimming. Why? because of snakes and the mole hills and holes left behind by moles. I am handicapped and I cannot enjoy my property if I have to fear falling down after tripping over a mole hill or stepping on a snake because of tall grass and weeds..During the grass and weed growing season I have my property cut every 7 or 8 days at the most. When I purchased my property it had bricks, roofing tiles and all kinds of construction debris left in piles behind my barn and in the front garden. I worked hard to get it all cleaned up and hauled to a proper tip.
I have one of the best maintained lawns in my village at this time and I pride myself in not being the neighbour that everyone complains about for having no pride about the appearance of the property. Sure my place needs more improvement and I am always doing projects to improve my property. It is certainly in a much better state now than it was before I purchased it. I do like the wild flowers that grow in the meadow behind my property but their view is obscurred by the stinging nettles. If I want flowers I will have to source them at a garden center and hire someone to maintain them.
Each to their own.

I am quite proud about my birds/ birdsong/ lizards/ insects/ flowers that bring the insects/ fruit/ no neighbours (annoying)/ front looks neat and well looked after/ I mow the neighbours' fronts as well so the row looks neat/ every guest inviteee says it looks great.

Apart from that: modest.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Not mowing the mother-in-law property regularly results in a much bigger job and reluctance by anyone to cut it down.

It becomes a nuisance too because father-in-law when chopping a tree down left the stump. A trip over hazard! In the year we lived with mother-in-law we removed three tree stumps, one quite large in the front garden and very hard work to remove.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 10:10 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Not mowing the mother-in-law property regularly results in a much bigger job and reluctance by anyone to cut it down.

It becomes a nuisance too because father-in-law when chopping a tree down left the stump. A trip over hazard! In the year we lived with mother-in-law we removed three tree stumps, one quite large in the front garden and very hard work to remove.

I am a lazy guy and I find it so much easier to cut and strim every week or so because when it gets tall you work a lot harder. In fact I think it is less work to do it every week or so than to only mow/strim once or twice a year. I get it that some people do not want to do yard work, some people are unable to do it for health reasons etc. If I did not have my doggies I would be happy to only have a small garden to maintain. I have a large garden and I keep it maintained and when I cannot due to me being disabled and do not feel like it I can always get someone to do it for me at a fair price. I had 3 old stumps removed from the garden back in the spring. It looks so much better.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I am a lazy guy and I find it so much easier to cut and strim every week or so because when it gets tall you work a lot harder. In fact I think it is less work to do it every week or so than to only mow/strim once or twice a year. I get it that some people do not want to do yard work, some people are unable to do it for health reasons etc. If I did not have my doggies I would be happy to only have a small garden to maintain. I have a large garden and I keep it maintained and when I cannot due to me being disabled and do not feel like it I can always get someone to do it for me at a fair price. I had 3 old stumps removed from the garden back in the spring. It looks so much better.
At my age I can't possibly strim over half an acre of grass myself. I pay the grandson of one of my neighbours to do it for me. Unfortunately, because he now works fulltime he can only do it on the weekends so sometimes the grass isn't cut as regularly as I'd like. The top half of my land was formerly a ploughed field and full of humps and hollows and in places you need to look where you're going, which is difficult when the grass is long. One side has trees and a thick hedge plus is shaded by walnuts trees which provides a cool walk for my two dogs when I can't take them anywhere elsee to the heat.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 11:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sachina
At my age I can't possibly strim over half an acre of grass myself. I pay the grandson of one of my neighbours to do it for me. Unfortunately, because he now works fulltime he can only do it on the weekends so sometimes the grass isn't cut as regularly as I'd like. The top half of my land was formerly a ploughed field and full of humps and hollows and in places you need to look where you're going, which is difficult when the grass is long. One side has trees and a thick hedge plus is shaded by walnuts trees which provides a cool walk for my two dogs when I can't take them anywhere elsee to the heat.
I am 62 and disabled. I would do good to strim along all my fences (I have about 1 acre) Most of what I take care of my self propelled mower cuts. I cut part of mine myself and what I don't feel like cutting I have done.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I am 62 and disabled. I would do good to strim along all my fences (I have about 1 acre) Most of what I take care of my self propelled mower cuts. I cut part of mine myself and what I don't feel like cutting I have done.
I'm 83 and getting a bit doddery. The bottom half of my land is too steep to use a lawn mower and as I say the top half has quite deep hollows and humps which a lawn couldn't cope with.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 1:23 pm
Banned

I'm 83 and getting a bit doddery. The bottom half of my land is too steep to use a lawn mower and as I say the top half has quite deep hollows and humps which a lawn couldn't cope with.
Mine used to be like that before I paid a guy with a JCB to come and regrade the ground smooth.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mine used to be like that before I paid a guy with a JCB to come and regrade the ground smooth.
I thought of that but having seen how they ruined what was a beautiful natural garden next door, decided against it.
Old Jun 20th 2023, 2:49 pm
Banned

I thought of that but having seen how they ruined what was a beautiful natural garden next door, decided against it.
There was nothing that could ruin what was here, heaps of old building debris bricks, concrete, roof tiles and other garbage in mounds, what I had done was a major improvement.

What it looked like in my garden in 2017

picture from 2017 of back garden

From 2022 back garden after regrade

where the old chicken coop and goat shed was located after redo of garden with JCB

during the regrade of back garden 2021