Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

No mosquitos this year

No mosquitos this year

Old Sep 22nd 2018, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No mosquitos this year

I have reacted quite badly in the past but it seems to get a little easier every year as I get stung several times each summer. I get quite brazen when it comes to killing them and therefore occasionally get caught out. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to the stings, just react normally. A few weeks ago I killed upwards of 1,000 in a couple of days from a single nest with a spray. They were nesting in the roof of our weekend house and I couldn't get to the nest itself so had to catch them as they were entering and leaving the entrance......but no stings When I get stung it's usually unexpected.
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 1:33 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Talking of wasps...last Sunday I was outside stirring my alma cefre when a wasp flew up the back of my shorts and stung me 4 times on the backside before I could get my shorts off! On Sunday the stings were painful, then they glowed bright red, then they itched for about 3 days.
I generally have a cold tinny going in the summer, just to keep hydrated. Unfortunately I have been caught out a couple of times with wasp bite to the mouth/ lips - very painful & makes you talk funny for a couple of days!

Just invested in some plastic cups to act as wasp preventers https://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...blers-set-of-6
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 1:38 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wolfi
Don't even mention the slugs!
We had so many this year, horrible. They're hiding everywhere, especially in a derelict wall of the old barn. So in early summer every evening I went out with a kind of knife and cut them in half, that helped a bit.
My wife decided to have tomatoes and paprika only in buckets which I put on some kind of wooden pedestals - made it also easier for her to water and harvest...
We don't really get slugs, just the odd one or two yellow/ orange monsters down the underground water tap pit (you know what I mean!)

But never a problem with eating our plants. Must be too hot & dry for 6 months a year, ie kills them off I guess. Lots of birdlife, must help as well.