Nice Hungarians

Old Jun 16th 2023, 5:35 am
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nice Hungarians

I was in one of my neighbouring plots a couple of weeks ago to talk about a dead tree that slightly offends me and spoils the view of the hills (National Park) - I said to old Kalman: it's dead, can I cut it down? He's about 90 and as you'd expect, he said let me think about it, he never really warmed to me, especially after I got the Bobcat in and overnight put up a really good hedge against his (mine, actually) fence. I moved it from one side of the garden to the other, everything lived. Some Hungarians do seem to like having a wire fence with no plants. Anyway, we've got on OK for the last 20-odd years, he's one of the best neighbours you could wish for. Ie he's never there.

While we were talking about the dead tree, I saw this huge plastic container, I can only guess the size, probably 100 litres? I asked if I could buy it, he said it's not mine. His garden plot is a strange one - 2 of them have half each with no fence down the middle, quite narrow - but long. 2 wooden weekendi haz. He said it's my neighbour's.

Anyway, this other neighbour - Peter - came back yesterday. He's pretty old as well, probably 80 or so, I like it when his grandchildren come for a few days in the summer, so much happy noise, BBQs, laughter and kids having fun. So I politely went round and asked him if that big old container was for sale.

Old Peter didn't even realise he had a container so we walked over to it. I was expecting to offer him a couple of thousand forint. But he just looked thoughtful for a few seconds and said: ingyenes. I didn't twig for a moment, I thought he was asking me to make my opening bid. So he said again: ingyenes - free. Cue a lot of handshakes and thanks, it's a great container, already planted up with Marigolds, which I like and my wife hates, plus a cherry tomato.
Old Jun 16th 2023, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Hungarians

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes
it's a great container, already planted up with Marigolds, which I like and my wife hates, plus a cherry tomato.
If you plant calendula officinalis instead of marigolds whilst they look similar you can use the petals in salads (for taste and colour) and the flowers can be used for tea. Calendula officinalis has medicinal properties and some get an allergic reaction.

For a colourful salad add the petals of calendula officinalis and corn flowers. (Centaurea cyanus) And nasturtium petals for more colour - if you want a spicy peppery taste
Old Jun 16th 2023, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've never taken to the scent of marigolds. Don't plant them in my garden here in the States or in my container gardens. Guessing that preferring chain link fencing with no visual obstruction is a by-product of the last world war. Easier to see and hinder the advancing army. You are speaking of men in their 80's and 90's who were children during that war.
Old Jun 16th 2023, 8:26 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If you plant calendula officinalis instead of marigolds whilst they look similar you can use the petals in salads (for taste and colour) and the flowers can be used for tea. Calendula officinalis has medicinal properties and some get an allergic reaction.

For a colourful salad add the petals of calendula officinalis and corn flowers. (Centaurea cyanus) And nasturtium petals for more colour - if you want a spicy peppery taste
I will get some seeds for next year.

Not surprisingly, my wife calls them budoska (little stinkies I think) - I read online that you could eat them, I tried them but it was awful so I guess it wasn't officinalis. Free seeds for the whole garden.

I do eat my Nasturtium flowers and leaves all the time, very tasty snack as I'm checking out the garden.