Reload this Page >

Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Aquavit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
When you come back be careful as you come down the 84 road as at Káld they have installed one of those new fancy permanent fund raising cameras.
Ha ha, thanks for the warning Peter, although the speed we progress at in the motorhome is unlikely to render us victims of the "scameras"!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquavit
Ha ha, thanks for the warning Peter, although the speed we progress at in the motorhome is unlikely to render us victims of the "scameras"!
Don't be so sure - the place where the scamera is located is on a short section of 60kph on a long straightish bit that is otherwise 90kph........in other words gotcha
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Aquavit is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't be so sure - the place where the scamera is located is on a short section of 60kph on a long straightish bit that is otherwise 90kph........in other words gotcha
That is naughty, in my innocence I hoped that Hungary would be less infested with these instruments of extortion ........

Just looked on the map and Kaid is not far from me and a road I'm likely to use occasionally on my scooter. I've no problem with speed limits but when they are varied on straight sections of road for no obvious reason one can't help but be cynical!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Biffer is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Fidobsa, I will PM you as I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

That is naughty, in my innocence I hoped that Hungary would be less infested with these instruments of extortion ........

Just looked on the map and Kaid is not far from me and a road I'm likely to use occasionally on my scooter. I've no problem with speed limits but when they are varied on straight sections of road for no obvious reason one can't help but be cynical!
The reason is 'outskirts of the village', which I guess is/was largely ignored. Apparently these cameras check other things besides speed. e.g. valid insurance, valid mot, lights on and a rumour that seat belt worn as well! So wave as you pass under them!!
Old Jan 21st 2016, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

There are many places in Hungary where cameras would be a good idea - the main road in our village is straight and some people drive at almost 100 km/h there ...
In Germany and Austria (important for those of you who use their cars to drive home ...) almost every village has a camera or two to slow down the traffic.
And you also find them on the motorways.

On the other hand, putting a camera somewhere in the wilderness seems just a money making scheme ...
Old Jan 21st 2016, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
There are many places in Hungary where cameras would be a good idea - the main road in our village is straight and some people drive at almost 100 km/h there ...
In Germany and Austria (important for those of you who use their cars to drive home ...) almost every village has a camera or two to slow down the traffic.
And you also find them on the motorways.

On the other hand, putting a camera somewhere in the wilderness seems just a money making scheme ...
Commuting to work on the M0 and back roads is a real eye opener........

The speed some people drive at is crazy as well as very aggressive. Also dangerous last minute overtaking, stupid tail gaiting and lack of indicator usage.

I get very angry and depressed driving on the roads here. I used to think the UK was awful........ The village next to the one in Yorkshire where I used to live had a speed camera that would get a burning tyre wrapped around it on regular occasions.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

arsenalkev is an unknown quantity at this point

just a quick message for owletts12. Thanks for the pm regarding my recent house hunting. Yes we did buy a place and are really happy with the service. I will pm you with details as soon as admin allows me to. I believe it's 3 posts before to cam pm and this is my 3rd so hopefully very soon!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

When you come back be careful as you come down the 84 road as at Káld they have installed one of those new fancy permanent fund raising cameras.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Quite a lot of instruments of "extortion" also in unmarked/ marked police cars looking out for "innocent" foreigners, and the fines are hefty ;-(
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jetsam1
Commuting to work on the M0 and back roads is a real eye opener........

The speed some people drive at is crazy as well as very aggressive. Also dangerous last minute overtaking, stupid tail gaiting and lack of indicator usage.

I get very angry and depressed driving on the roads here. I used to think the UK was awful........ The village next to the one in Yorkshire where I used to live had a speed camera that would get a burning tyre wrapped around it on regular occasions.
Though it does tend to be Slovakian registered cars ;-(
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

A further update, we are in the process of completing on a house in a nice village located in the middle of a triangle formed by Sumeg, Vasvar and Sarvar. A good location for us when travelling west to France, around forty minutes from the lake at Keszthely and equidistant from Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest airports to fly in/out from.

Looking forward to being back there late March/early April to take posession and begin a new adventure in Hungary.
I recommend the Vonyarcvashegy (Vonyarc for short) & Gyenesdias (Dias for short) beaches - free parking as opposed to Keszthely
Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OGSG
Though it does tend to be Slovakian registered cars ;-(
But the drivers/owners are usually Hungarians who don't want to pay he high taxes for SUVs and other expensive cars - their "code" often is a bumper sticker "Greater Hungary".
Beware of them - they don't know any traffic rules!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolfi
But the drivers/owners are usually Hungarians who don't want to pay he high taxes for SUVs and other expensive cars - their "code" often is a bumper sticker "Greater Hungary".
Beware of them - they don't know any traffic rules!
I thought last year the Hu authorities started cracking down on foreign registered cars especially as it was found that many were not insured, tested etc.? I know some expats were having to have their cars registed in Hu.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

That seems to apply only to "real" foreigners, not to the "Hungarians" - even if they live in a neighbouring country ...

I probably told the story already:

I loaned my second German car (of course insured, with MOT) to my wife's son permanently when they had a baby but he got stopped by the police which told him the authorisation I gave him would only be valid for a max of 24 hours!
So they would have to take the car away from him and also fine him several hundreds of thousands Forint!
But when he saw the baby on the backseat he relented and told him to get me to sign enough authorisations so he could use a new one every day that he had to drive, but of course that would have been impractical ...
In the end I gave the car to our young ones and they "imported" it officially into Hungary - so no more problems ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.