Reload this Page >

Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Aquavit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie thinking of buying in Hungary

Originally Posted by scot47
The OP is going to buy in a country he has never visited ? I seem to remember that was the main theme of a novel by Dickens.Go and visit. Live in the country for a while. The internet and hearsay is not enough.
I presume from your comment that you haven't read the whole thread, but just to re-iterate - I am considering buying in Hungary which is why I am canvassing opinions from those who are more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

You will also see from my update post that I have organised a visit to Hungary in November.

It's unwise to pass judgement when not in possesion of the full facts, I travel extensively in Europe (spend little time in the UK), adapt quickly to differing circumstances and can assimilate quite quickly as to whether or not a country/area/place is right or wrong for me. We all have different levels of tolerance towards risk, some are ultra-cautious whereas others (myself included) are perhaps a little more adventurous in our outlook toward life.

Most of my european travelling is done in a motorhome so I have the ideal tool for exploring a country in detail and at leisure, if I so choose to do so.

Thanks for your input but something a little more constructive would have been helpful.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Read between the lines. I was telling you to go there before you make any decisions. How can you decide that you want to live in a place you have never even seen ?
Where have you lived ? What competence do you have in other languages ? Would others give you the same glowing testimonial that you have given yourself ?

Last edited by scot47; Oct 10th 2015 at 5:28 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Read between the lines. I was telling you to go there before you make any decisions. How can you decide that you want to live in a place you have never even seen ?
Where have you lived ? What competence do you have in other languages ? Would others give you the same glowing testimonial that you have given yourself ?
You seem to be struggling with comprehension so, for the third time and just for you, I'll re-iterate what I said previously and what was in fact the thrust of my first post.

It's this and it's quite aimple: I am considering buying In Hungary.

That is the point of coming here and asking questions, to gain knowledge via the experience of others which all goes towards helping in deciding if I want to consider Hungary as a holiday home destination.

Other posters have contributed with many helpful suggestions, whereas you are telling me what I should be doing .............
Old Dec 1st 2015, 10:54 am
Just Joined

arsenalkev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all/ Aquavit, how did your trip go? My wife and I are going to Hungary next week to look at property's with an estate agent. My wife is Hungarian so no communication issues. I was hoping someone could tell me which estate agents to be wary of. I tried to PM but as I'm new and have not done 3 posts I can do that yet. Could someone please PM me? We will be looking around Lengyeltoti and surrounding villages.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:05 am
Just Joined

The trip went well, better than anticipated, Hungary exceeded my expectations and as a bonus the weather was excellent too!

Most of our exploring and viewing was done north of Lake Balaton with a quick sortie south of the lake to view a couple of houses. I would say we looked at around a dozen properties at varying prices/locations and state of repair - everything from recently refurbished to projects. No decsions made but we are returning for a longer two week stay next week for further viewings.

We took to the country straight away, the people were very friendly and we found English to be widely spoken. The countryside was lovely with lots of greenery and open spaces, Budapest is a fantastic city with lots to see, loads of street cafes, very good metro system and we caught the beginning of the Christmas market.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

TerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the roughTerryandBrigi is a jewel in the rough

Oh happy times !
Remember that time well, exploring and being amazed by so much I saw.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Not there for xmas this year, but so looking forward to an easter break, so we can rekindle our love of the place
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

arsenalkev is an unknown quantity at this point

great stuff. Hope we can report some news on our return!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Biffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Will you be returning to continue your house search this spring? I am selling my house around then that seem to tick your boxes. Garden views to die for and great size court yard for your motor home.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Biffer, are you moving within Hungary or leaving altogether? I am also putting my house in Belezna on the market this spring but am only moving just over the border into Croatia so I will still have shopping trips etc. to Hungary.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:39 am
Just Joined

A further update, we are in the process of completing on a house in a nice village located in the middle of a triangle formed by Sumeg, Vasvar and Sarvar. A good location for us when travelling west to France, around forty minutes from the lake at Keszthely and equidistant from Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest airports to fly in/out from.

Looking forward to being back there late March/early April to take posession and begin a new adventure in Hungary.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:00 am
Just Joined

allswell is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on finding a house! It took us 1 1/2 years to find ours. Good find.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

HI Fidobsa, We plan to move away, but not back to the UK. Why Croatia?
Old Jan 19th 2016, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like the ideal location for you.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffer
HI Fidobsa, We plan to move away, but not back to the UK. Why Croatia?
It is mainly down to my dismal failure at learning Hungarian. I am not suggesting that Croatian will be any easier to learn but far more people there can speak English. House prices in that part of the country are similar to those in Hungarian villages and mine which is near Ferdinandovac was actually a bit cheaper than my Hungary place. I did not consider Croatia when I was looking at houses in Hungary as it was not then part of the EU.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquavit
A further update, we are in the process of completing on a house in a nice village located in the middle of a triangle formed by Sumeg, Vasvar and Sarvar. A good location for us when travelling west to France, around forty minutes from the lake at Keszthely and equidistant from Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest airports to fly in/out from.

Looking forward to being back there late March/early April to take posession and begin a new adventure in Hungary.
When you come back be careful as you come down the 84 road as at Káld they have installed one of those new fancy permanent fund raising cameras.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.