Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

New tax rules for foreigners living in Hungary?

New tax rules for foreigners living in Hungary?

Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default New tax rules for foreigners living in Hungary?

This week I got two letters, which prompted some activity:

The first was from the village mayor's office where I reside:

I have to get a Hungarian tax no - tried twice to get it at the tax office in Keszthely but there were so many people waiting that I gave up, will try again next week.
Anyway the opening hours are horrible ...

The second was from my Hungarian bank (OTP):

Seems you have to give them your tax no /id regarding the country you officially live in, so they can send some info to the tax office there???
I don't think this concerns me so much, because I don't have any income here in Hungary - hope I'm right there.

Hungary is my second residence, first is in Germany whwere I also vote - the Hungarian government knows this, they sent me a letter once that I could decide to vote for the European parliament here in Hungary, but they would have to tell the German voting office then.

Anyone here with similar experiences?

PS:

As soon as I get more info, I'll be back with it!
Old Aug 6th 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

blackwaterman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New tax rules for foreigners living in Hungary?

I'm in a situation similar to you, my permanent residence is in UK, and I have no Hungarian income. When I opened my OTP account, I remember that I had to quote my National Insurance number. This is an identifier in UK for most bank Tax purposes (in fact, as we don't have identity cards it's about the only useable one).
Some major reasons for all this are (supposedly) anti money-laundering and tax avoidance, so that you can't have sums of money appearing in OTP without a lawful source being evident.
Each time I move funds into OTP, I must state to the Forex company that, effectively, I'm paying myself and not somebody unidentifiable. I can of, course, pay other people but they must all have checkable identities.

As for your local government office, I can only guess that it's about some local taxation applicable to just your area. Presumably it'll be fairly small, but....they want it! As for voting, there's no automatic EU voting reminders in UK as none of the UK political parties seem bothered about it, only themselves! It's always mystified me how any UK resident can vote in EU matters, as most people only do so if presented with the opportunity in front of them. I know that they should do their civic duty anyway, with no information, but....most aren't politically that active. Of course, you shouldn't be able to have more than one vote so it must be in one EU country or the other.

Last edited by blackwaterman; Aug 6th 2016 at 3:11 pm. Reason: Add voting info
Old Aug 7th 2016, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfi
The second was from my Hungarian bank (OTP):

Seems you have to give them your tax no /id regarding the country you officially live in, so they can send some info to the tax office there???
I don't think this concerns me so much, because I don't have any income here in Hungary - hope I'm right there.
As far as I know this is a new EU regulation that came into force this year: if you have an account in an EU country in which you're not (or perhaps not primarily) resident, you have to provide the bank with the tax ID in the country in which you are resident. The British and Hungarian banks I bank with have both asked me for it (I'm resident in Germany).
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Watchpost, you're surely right - tomorrow I'll visit OTP to check this.

The good news is:

We were at the NAV (tax office) today, and there were not too many people in the queue (two Germans/Austrians who had the same "problem"), so after half an hour we went home again with my tax no which I'll give to the mayor tomorrow ...

And it did't cost a forint even ...
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

More good news:

I was at the mayor's office and gave them my brand new Hungarian tax no (Adó szám) and they were happy - didn't want my German tax no ...

And then I went to the OTP branch in Keszthely and gave them my German tax no - and they were happy too, didn't want/need my Hungarian tax no ...

Hope that the "paper war" is finished for this year!
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Today from the tax office in Budapest I got my tax card:

Adóigazolvány - should I be proud?

It is the size of a credit card and has my tax no also as a barcode and a QRC - lovely!
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but how can anyone be proud of such document, and declaring your details to Tax Office, I had mine over 7 years and the best part is They cannot contact Me as been on Grape Fields with over 300 more plots with same address Just Village postal number and plot number even the Police can not find me, and I no they the Tax office is trying to contact, so best to keep head down and avoid payments, he he he and in UK digger47
Old Sep 5th 2016, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

cyprustractorboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine arrived in the post guess it was the solicitor being ultra efficient
I didn't know about it or ask for it lol