Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

Old Jul 16th 2022, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Apparently the export of firewood has now been banned.
Unless it is a company owned by the "right" people though I suppose. Loopholes abound.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 3:23 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
You can avoid the nasty surprise of a catch up bill following the annual reading by opting for monthly billing which is calculated from the meter reading that you can enter on-line. The annual meter reading still happens but this is only a verification of what you have entered throughout the year and (if you read the meter properly) shouldn't be any/much different from the monthly payment.
I do this for all my meters, I have a couple of rented flats and putting in monthly readings means that the utilities are always up to date so no issues if the tenants change. One down side is that the gas bill reflects the actual month so there is no averaging of the gas cost summer to winter.

I am waiting to see the detail. I have seen already that additional allowance will be made for 3+ children but what about the night rate, the disabled, pensioners and those without the ability to have gas. In my situation I have no gas and no mains water so my electricity usage is and must be higher because I can't use the gas allowance, all my hot water must be done with electricity (night rate) and I also need electricity to pump my water.

Oh and I also heard from a local last week that in this area it now impossible to buy firewood, so I expect the firewood price to increase in proportion to the price of gas.
I did not know about monthly reporting but as poor as my Hungarian is I am certain somehow I would mess things up. I will just let them read it and deal with it when it becomes payable via the yellow posta checks.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Jul 16th 2022 at 3:25 pm. Reason: spelling errors
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I did not know about monthly reporting but as poor as my Hungarian is I am certain somehow I would mess things up. I will just let them read it and deal with it when it becomes payable via the yellow posta checks.
Same for me, the meters get read once a year, around July / August, I get the bill and pay with the yellow ticket, although I have considered asking to pay monthly.
One thing I'm not sure about considering there is a price cap in place ... if I have used the same amount of electricity during the last year as I did the previous year, is my bill going to be the same as the one last year or will it be higher ...
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
Same for me, the meters get read once a year, around July / August, I get the bill and pay with the yellow ticket, although I have considered asking to pay monthly.
One thing I'm not sure about considering there is a price cap in place ... if I have used the same amount of electricity during the last year as I did the previous year, is my bill going to be the same as the one last year or will it be higher ...
As I understand it (?) if your bill is above the average, then it will not be capped, therefore your next bills are going to be considerably higher, that's what I'm assuming anyway. So, if this does apply to you maybe consider paying monthly to spread the load?
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
As I understand it (?) if your bill is above the average, then it will not be capped, therefore your next bills are going to be considerably higher, that's what I'm assuming anyway. So, if this does apply to you maybe consider paying monthly to spread the load?
I'm not sure what my usage is but I'm a very light user and don't have many appliances, very rarely use the cooker ... the water heater is probably the highest contributor to my bill and I turned it down a notch over a year ago as the water from the hot tap was way too hot ! I don't know what my actual consumption is per year in kw/h as the bill is a mystery to me but I'm pretty sure I am way below the 210 kw/h limit ... my bill last year for the previous twelve months was 60,000 ....
I may well look into changing to monthly billing ...
Old Jul 17th 2022, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Once you are registered entering the data is easy. The Eon web site has a link to the telephone numbers where there is an English and German help line. It may be worth calling then to ask for help with registering for online meter reading submission if you want to go that way.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Baxi Combi boiler for my central heating and hot water and use gas for cooking. As I also have wood burning stoves in every room If necessary I can turn off the central heating and light the stoves to keep the house warm. One of them I can cook on if needs be, although I have a microwave and small tabletop electric cooker I can always use.

I still have nearly 5 cubic metres of wood which just needs cutting up which is sufficient for the winter.. Hopefully my son and grandson will do that job for me when they're over in September.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina
I have a Baxi Combi boiler for my central heating and hot water and use gas for cooking. As I also have wood burning stoves in every room If necessary I can turn off the central heating and light the stoves to keep the house warm. One of them I can cook on if needs be, although I have a microwave and small tabletop electric cooker I can always use.

I still have nearly 5 cubic metres of wood which just needs cutting up which is sufficient for the winter.. Hopefully my son and grandson will do that job for me when they're over in September.
Best to check what your usage for last year was to see if it goes over the price cap amount, if it doesn't then no need to panic. From an environmental point of view burning gas is much less polluting than burning wood. Whilst gas is a fossil fuel the air pollution with wood is much greater and is causing air quality issues in many places (even with modern high efficiency wood stoves)

I phoned Eon this morning to ask about the price / kWh after the 210 kWh allowance, answer = They don' know yet !!!
Old Jul 18th 2022, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

I still have nearly 5 cubic metres of wood which just needs cutting up which is sufficient for the winter..
That's a healthy stockpile, far more than I have at the minute but I'm adding to mine every week ! I bought a new wood burner for the main part of the house last winter and it gives out a ferocious amount of heat ! I also bought a traditional wood burning stove that makes a good alternative to the ancient 1950s electric cooker that I rarely use ... my slow cookers and the microwave keep me going but the wood stove will be a life saver if the power goes out. I also bought some candles over from the UK as I can't find any ordinary household candles in my local town, just fancy candles and strange candles that are encased in plastic sleeves ... no idea how they work !
Old Jul 18th 2022, 9:04 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are registered entering the data is easy. The Eon web site has a link to the telephone numbers where there is an English and German help line. It may be worth calling then to ask for help with registering for online meter reading submission if you want to go that way.

Thank you Peter,
Old Jul 18th 2022, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Best to check what your usage for last year was to see if it goes over the price cap amount, if it doesn't then no need to panic. From an environmental point of view burning gas is much less polluting than burning wood. Whilst gas is a fossil fuel the air pollution with wood is much greater and is causing air quality issues in many places (even with modern high efficiency wood stoves)

I phoned Eon this morning to ask about the price / kWh after the 210 kWh allowance, answer = They don' know yet !!!
I appreciate that gas is less polluting than burning wood but if you're caught between a rock and a hard place you don't have much choice apart from either freezing or starving to death.

Obviously I'll check my annual consumption but I do believe in making contingency plans.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

That's a healthy stockpile, far more than I have at the minute but I'm adding to mine every week ! I bought a new wood burner for the main part of the house last winter and it gives out a ferocious amount of heat ! I also bought a traditional wood burning stove that makes a good alternative to the ancient 1950s electric cooker that I rarely use ... my slow cookers and the microwave keep me going but the wood stove will be a life saver if the power goes out. I also bought some candles over from the UK as I can't find any ordinary household candles in my local town, just fancy candles and strange candles that are encased in plastic sleeves ... no idea how they work !
I'm given anything from 2 to 4 cubic metres for free every year under the Hungarian version of the UK "fuel allowance", I had so much that I sold 2.5 cubic metres earlier this year, There's probably another 1.5 cubic metre in my woodshed. In addition I have 3 trees that need chopping down plus all the old wood from the repair of my garage/woodshed roof and replacing the tongue and grove under my porch.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

I'm given anything from 2 to 4 cubic metres for free every year under the Hungarian version of the UK "fuel allowance", I had so much that I sold 2.5 cubic metres earlier this year, There's probably another 1.5 cubic metre in my woodshed. In addition I have 3 trees that need chopping down plus all the old wood from the repair of my garage/woodshed roof and replacing the tongue and grove under my porch.
I'm not sure how that system works ... a couple of my retired Hungarian neighbours get a free delivery every year but I'm a few years away from the UK retirement age and even when I reach the official retirement age, I'm not sure if it's only available to Hungarian citizens or whether residents can get it as well ...
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not sure how that system works ... a couple of my retired Hungarian neighbours get a free delivery every year but I'm a few years away from the UK retirement age and even when I reach the official retirement age, I'm not sure if it's only available to Hungarian citizens or whether residents can get it as well ...
Well I'm a resident not a citizen! Virtually everyone in my village receives free wood and not all of them are retired, I think it depends on whether the village you live in is deemed "needy" as many are in BAZ. Our village mayor applies for the free wood on our behalf.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

The provision of fire wood is down to the local council - it is not a central government thing. In our village it is only those in need that get fire wood support, not all who are of pensioner status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.