Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

Old Jul 14th 2022, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New restrictions on energy usage? KATA Changes?

Originally Posted by hobgoblins View Post
I am really hoping that this chart proves to be fake but I guess we will find out soon enough.
Retired electrician you say ... you should visit my house, the electrics will give you nightmares for months !!!

You should have seen the electrics in my place, very scary indeed.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
My wife almost exploded over this...................... A lot of Hungarians are apparently especially younger ones. We are already paying Western prices on Eastern wages for everything. I have been lucky enough to get a substantial pay increase this year and it is wiped out already. Recession on the way? I think she is fed up (along with many of her peers) of being expected to carry all the weight as a normal person. In Bacs Kiskun the big farmers have been in trouble with Avian Flu and fraud investigations and frankly any goodwill is gone for them. Hearing people in the villages are starting to get fighty (verbal aggro, stress based arguing that sort of thing).

I note that the cap is much higher for those with 3 kids and above amusingly. The agenda! Our two kids probably make as much washing as 3 as makes no practical difference. With a washing machine, fridge freezer, electric oven plus lights etc it will add up. I work from home most of the time and am contractually obliged to have a working space well lit and heated. May have to rethink watering the vegetables as running the pump might become problematic as that is not part of the average energy usage. We have a big kitchen garden.

How have they calculated the average? What assumptions are made? What has been left out? There is a limit in the modern world to how much electricity can be saved. We are lucky I suppose having the option for wood burning heating and if we juggle the kitchen could get an old sparhelt refitted. But then the cost of the petrol for the chainsaw........ We will not be able to win will we?

I suppose all the rich people are busy getting solar panels fitted....................... And that POS in the Kremlin is laughing his head off.

Thankfully we don't have a mortgage or having to pay rent....................... My colleagues are getting worried.
My neighbours have invested in solar power and recently had four AC units fitted. No worries for them in how much electricity they consume. Two local friends of ours have applied for what I believe is a grant for solar power which has been approved. No idea when it will be installed. Their house already has triple glazing and 20cm insulation on external walls. CH supplied by gas boiler. They have a kandalló too which can supply hot water to the CH system.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulinEger View Post
Surely those figures can't be right.
We live in an old, valyog house with 1 bedroom, don't use electricity for heating or hot water and our monthly bill is 22,000ft which we think is extortionate. According to that list we'll be paying over 100,000ft per month!
This morning I was talking to a Hungarian friend who assured me that those charts are fake, He said whilst it's true there will be some increase in prices, they won't be nearly as much as the charts lead us to believe.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 4:23 pm
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
This morning I was talking to a Hungarian friend who assured me that those charts are fake, He said whilst it's true there will be some increase in prices, they won't be nearly as much as the charts lead us to believe.
I hope you're right, however I found this (& posted it on another thread a couple of days ago) -

"According to a report published Thursday afternoon on vg.hu, electricity prices in Europe have risen 515 percent in just over a year, while gas prices have increased 650 percent in the same period through early July."
Old Jul 15th 2022, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone produce such "fake" tables?
Re KATA
you find here a scathing analysis from someone who uses it:
https://kafkadesk.org/2022/07/15/kil...ers-are-angry/
It sounds really crazy.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Copied from yesterday afternoon Hungary Matters - the official news sheet of the Hungarian Government.

CAP ON HOUSEHOLD BILLS REMAINS IN FORCE UP TO LEVEL OF AVERAGE CONSUMPTION The cap on energy bills will remain fully in force for households that do not exceed average consumption, according to a government statement on Thursday. Monthly savings of 159,000 forints (EUR 390) can be
locked in, but market prices will apply for consumption which is above the average level, the statement on government website kormany. hu said. Explaining the move, the statement cited the protracted war in Ukraine and associated sanctions, which have put drastic upward pressure on energy prices throughout Europe, triggering “an energy crisis”. In a single year, the price of electricity has more than quintupled, while the price of gas has shot up more than six times, the statement said, adding that further increases were expected. The government has brought in special measures so that the country has sufficient reserves of energy in the winter, it said, adding that the full cap on bills would apply to three quarters of households. An average consumer today pays 7,750 forints each month for electricity, which would be 50,833 forints without the cap, while gas bills with the cap come to 15,833 forints, with market prices at 131,444 forints. Up to average consumption, each household can save around 159,000 forints per month with the cap in place. The new rule applies from August 1
Old Jul 16th 2022, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to the new energy pricing scheme. In our area the gas and power meters are only read once a year but billing is sent monthly and then a catch up bill is sent followed by the next 12 months billing levels raised or lowered for the subsequent 12 monthly bills. I suspect next year many people will get astronomically high catch up bills unless the monthly billing rates are adjusted in August..
Old Jul 16th 2022, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever View Post
In regards to the new energy pricing scheme. In our area the gas and power meters are only read once a year but billing is sent monthly and then a catch up bill is sent followed by the next 12 months billing levels raised or lowered for the subsequent 12 monthly bills. I suspect next year many people will get astronomically high catch up bills unless the monthly billing rates are adjusted in August..
We have the same system where I live,
Old Jul 16th 2022, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

People we know were being hit with 100,000 HUF extra in December. I would imagine that may double or triple? So bankrupting really considering even decent salaries combining with 600 HUF for a loaf of Bread in Lidl.....
Old Jul 16th 2022, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

People we know were being hit with 100,000 HUF extra in December. I would imagine that may double or triple? So bankrupting really considering even decent salaries combining with 600 HUF for a loaf of Bread in Lidl.....

This is the reason I refuse to set up automatic bill payment because you never know how much the catch up bill will be and if the bill is astonomical it could cause your bank account to be emptied. Resulting in a wrecked budget.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 10:20 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sachina View Post
We have the same system where I live,
Same here.

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever View Post
This is the reason I refuse to set up automatic bill payment because you never know how much the catch up bill will be and if the bill is astonomical it could cause your bank account to be emptied. Resulting in a wrecked budget.
I pay monthly by a standing order, so I control the amount. In fact mine has just gone down following the meter read in June but obviously I shall leave it at the higher level & wait & see!
Old Jul 16th 2022, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

You can avoid the nasty surprise of a catch up bill following the annual reading by opting for monthly billing which is calculated from the meter reading that you can enter on-line. The annual meter reading still happens but this is only a verification of what you have entered throughout the year and (if you read the meter properly) shouldn't be any/much different from the monthly payment.
I do this for all my meters, I have a couple of rented flats and putting in monthly readings means that the utilities are always up to date so no issues if the tenants change. One down side is that the gas bill reflects the actual month so there is no averaging of the gas cost summer to winter.

I am waiting to see the detail. I have seen already that additional allowance will be made for 3+ children but what about the night rate, the disabled, pensioners and those without the ability to have gas. In my situation I have no gas and no mains water so my electricity usage is and must be higher because I can't use the gas allowance, all my hot water must be done with electricity (night rate) and I also need electricity to pump my water.

Oh and I also heard from a local last week that in this area it now impossible to buy firewood, so I expect the firewood price to increase in proportion to the price of gas.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 11:04 am
Stocking up on red wine!

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
You can avoid the nasty surprise of a catch up bill following the annual reading by opting for monthly billing which is calculated from the meter reading that you can enter on-line. The annual meter reading still happens but this is only a verification of what you have entered throughout the year and (if you read the meter properly) shouldn't be any/much different from the monthly payment.
I do this for all my meters, I have a couple of rented flats and putting in monthly readings means that the utilities are always up to date so no issues if the tenants change. One down side is that the gas bill reflects the actual month so there is no averaging of the gas cost summer to winter.

I am waiting to see the detail. I have seen already that additional allowance will be made for 3+ children but what about the night rate, the disabled, pensioners and those without the ability to have gas. In my situation I have no gas and no mains water so my electricity usage is and must be higher because I can't use the gas allowance, all my hot water must be done with electricity (night rate) and I also need electricity to pump my water.

Oh and I also heard from a local last week that in this area it now impossible to buy firewood, so I expect the firewood price to increase in proportion to the price of gas.
For sure we're in for a rough ride, particularly those vulnerable groups you mention.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that a a huge amount of Hungarian firewood is now in Slovakia. And now the forestry companies are panicking. Great work guys!

We are on a monthly reporting but I am still woried about it if it really does jump to 100k plus. Struggle to absorb that. Yeah the 3+ children thing, BS agenda really, even 2 kids will not be that much less energy using.

We can at least go wood burning for heating and cooking if we really need to. We have two bits of forest so that makes it viable, if you have to buy wood in that is going to get ouchy fast. Gonna be lots of stealing and looting if people are desparate enough.

Wife said the head of Mi Hazank is essentially threatening to close Budapest and that will likely lead to violence as they still have all the thugs from the far right "militia" in their ranks. Even without that I can see a lot of civil unrest as the whole Fidesz election campaign was based on protecting Hungarian families etc and the parliament have given themselves some nice big pay raised too. The comments going around have obviously spooked them as a late night announcement on the news my wife saw is that they are thinking about it.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 11:08 am
Stocking up on red wine!

I heard that a a huge amount of Hungarian firewood is now in Slovakia. And now the forestry companies are panicking. Great work guys!
Apparently the export of firewood has now been banned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.