Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Spam from Great Britain!

Spam from Great Britain!

Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spam from Great Britain!

How did this get to me? Ain't it cute - as a German I never paid taxes in GB (though my sister does ...)
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased to tell you are due a repayment of income tax of 265.48 GBP for the 2017 - 2018 tax year (6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018) .
* You have until 25 May 2018 to make your claim.
* HMRC will send you the refund only after you complete the online form.
* If you will not make the claim until then your money will become property of HMRC !
* Follow this link :

(link deleted)

Issued by :

HM Inspector of Taxes
PAY AS YOU EARN
HM REVENUE AND COSTOMS <- look at that spelling mistake

(Reference No: 11117824/2017/P800)

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will usually send repayments within 2 weeks, but it may take longer in some cases. You should wait 4 weeks after making an online claim and 6 weeks after making a postal claim before contacting HMRC about the payment
Old Apr 24th 2018, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spam from Great Britain!

S C A M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, but I call it spam, you call it scam ...

What I was wondering - I of course don't have a British address.

Can anyone be stupid enough to react to this?

Last edited by wolfi; Apr 24th 2018 at 6:17 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately yes. As an ex-"computer engineer" who used to visit clients homes on a daily basis for years to repair their computers, give them computer lessons and so on, I often had to tell them (make them aware) to hover over a link first to see where it actually lead, just to make them aware that the link www.hmrc.co.uk for example was actually going elsewhere (i.e. to scammers.com - This website is for sale! - scammers Resources and Information.). I also gave them other pointers such as spelling mistakes, ip address and so on.

Unfortunate to say, it was mainy the elderly clients who would fall for the scams, not because they were thick/stupid but because they did not quite grasp what email and web technology was about from the criminals perspective. They were innocent and vulnerable in other words. Hence one of the satifactions of my job. Educationing those clients and keeping them as safe as can be with education, anti-phishing software and so on.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Szeged, I agre with you, though I'm part of the elderly - just turned 75 ...
Still,a large sum of money which doesn't belong to you ...

Similarly these old geezers which get a mail from a 30 years old beauty who claims to be madly in love with them ...
And then it's money again - of course!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 8:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Szeged, I agre with you, though I'm part of the elderly - just turned 75 ...
Still,a large sum of money which doesn't belong to you ...

Similarly these old geezers which get a mail from a 30 years old beauty who claims to be madly in love with them ...
And then it's money again - of course!
There is a lot of acamming like this going on at the moment, and, unfortunately most of the victims are the elderly.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Wolfi ...... you're a honorary Brit ..... that's why you receive the same spam/scam stuff we receive from Nigeria!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tiger, I feel really proud!

But I must have been a "Brit" for many years now because I still remember how in the 90s my fax machine was clogged with mail from Nigerian princes, Hongkong millionnaires and the like - all written in bad English!

PS and not too much OT:
I'm a member on a German-US forum where the ladies often tell really funny stories of them being "adored" by US service men/officers (fakes of course) - so there is equality of the sexes there! And right now there's a kind of competition - who can attract the most Nigerian scammers, who has the craziest story to tell, it seems to depend on their picture on FB or their background story etc ...
Many people know somebody who fell into that trap, like accepting money, smartphones or other high value electronics and sending them onwards - only to have the police knock on their doors asking about those products and wanting them back ...
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

But I must have been a "Brit" for many years now because I still remember how in the 90s my fax machine was clogged with mail from Nigerian princes, Hongkong millionnaires and the like - all written in bad English!

PS and not too much OT:
I'm a member on a German-US forum where the ladies often tell really funny stories of them being "adored" by US service men/officers (fakes of course) - so there is equality of the sexes there! And right now there's a kind of competition - who can attract the most Nigerian scammers, who has the craziest story to tell, it seems to depend on their picture on FB or their background story etc ...
Many people know somebody who fell into that trap, like accepting money, smartphones or other high value electronics and sending them onwards - only to have the police knock on their doors asking about those products and wanting them back ...
That's a new one getting faxes from Nigerian princes! I had a fax machine back then and luckily never received any junk!

I find it incredible how people fall for these Nigerian princes scams!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

PS and not too much OT:
I'm a member on a German-US forum where the ladies often tell really funny stories of them being "adored" by US service men/officers (fakes of course) - so there is equality of the sexes there! And right now there's a kind of competition - who can attract the most Nigerian scammers, who has the craziest story to tell, it seems to depend on their picture on FB their background story etc. Many people know somebody who fell into that trap, like accepting money, smartphones or other high value electronics and sending them onwards - only to have the police knock on their doors asking about those products and wanting them back ...
If the women have "single" "widowed" or something similar this will happen. They can test it out by removing those words. Normally they will lose their power to attract the so called American service men as their profiles have been hacked by the Nigerians.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 25th 2018 at 1:52 pm.
Old May 1st 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

Well I keep getting spammed by someone purporting to be Magyar Telekom saying I owe them 1315ft and will I pay on line!

Not on your life!

If I do owe them money they can add it onto my monthly bill but don't send me an email 'cos I wasn't born on Pancake Day!