British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Naturalisation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/naturalisation-925664/)

tonydilihaz Jun 12th 2019 5:52 am

Naturalisation

Dear Expats in Hungary,

With this Brexit madness starting 3 years ago, I decided to remain European and applied to become Hungarian. Now, 23 moths later I take the Oath today. Both Hungary and Britain allow dual citizenship, so I'm covered whatever happens with Brexit.

It's been a slog, Many documents, requested one by one over the period, translated officially at significant cost.

I applied on the basis of living here for over 8 years. It worked.

As soon as I become Hungarian, I'll get the wife to apply too on the basis of our marriage.

Anyone else planning to do the same as me?

FenTiger Jun 12th 2019 6:47 am

Re: Naturalisation

Originally Posted by tonydilihaz (Post 12696839)
Dear Expats in Hungary,

With this Brexit madness starting 3 years ago, I decided to remain European and applied to become Hungarian. Now, 23 moths later I take the Oath today. Both Hungary and Britain allow dual citizenship, so I'm covered whatever happens with Brexit.

It's been a slog, Many documents, requested one by one over the period, translated officially at significant cost.

I applied on the basis of living here for over 8 years. It worked.

As soon as I become Hungarian, I'll get the wife to apply too on the basis of our marriage.

Anyone else planning to do the same as me?

Might do that myself once I've moved to Hungary.

Tweedpipe Jun 12th 2019 6:49 am

Well done! That sounds like quite an accomplishment, especially in a language that would have many expats screaming in frustration. Bravo!
Here in France I've applied and received an official residence permit - not without difficulty - which according to those 'in the know' gives one foot inside the door and thus easier to apply for citizenship. Something I'm holding off on for the moment, one reason being I'd probably never find a beret to fit........:p
Must admit I'm rather partial to escargots if done in a pârticular fashion, so that may eventually give me a head's start.

tonydilihaz Jun 12th 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 12696859)
Well done! That sounds like quite an accomplishment, especially in a language that would have many expats screaming in frustration. Bravo!
Here in France I've applied and received an official residence permit - not without difficulty - which according to those 'in the know' gives one foot inside the door and thus easier to apply for citizenship. Something I'm holding off on for the moment, one reason being I'd probably never find a beret to fit........:p
Must admit I'm rather partial to escargots if done in a pârticular fashion, so that may eventually give me a head's start.

Yes, the lanuguage is more difficult than most. I've found duoLingo a great help, but have a couple of other books too. The Asimil "Hungarian With Ease" (oxymoron) has a particualrly good humorous way of teaching. Please note that anyone over the age of 65 (which I am) is expempted from learning the Hungarian language.

Mais je parle francais un peu aussi

kind regards

Tone

Lorna at Vicenza Jun 12th 2019 7:54 am

Originally Posted by tonydilihaz (Post 12696876)
Please note that anyone over the age of 65 (which I am) is expempted from learning the Hungarian language.

Tone

That's interesting. I don't think Salvini has given over 65 year old people living in Italy the same exemption. Congratulations on your new citizenship.

Jack_Russells4ever Jun 12th 2019 12:50 pm

I am planning to apply for citizenship also when I have been here 8 years, I have 6 more to go. I too will be 65 by then and if I am not fluent enough to pass the language proficiency test by then I will go for the exemption if it is still available. A lot can change in a years time and certainly in another 6 years.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 12th 2019 2:17 pm

3 years for us!

tonydilihaz Jun 12th 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 12697010)
I am planning to apply for citizenship also when I have been here 8 years, I have 6 more to go. I too will be 65 by then and if I am not fluent enough to pass the language proficiency test by then I will go for the exemption if it is still available. A lot can change in a years time and certainly in another 6 years.

Its measured from the date on your address card. Get someone to help you with the Hungarian application form and with correspondence Be prepared to spend many hundreds of pounds on official translations, it has to be the official translation office, which is expensive. The language exemption is still available. Be prepared for immigration to visit your house at sometime, by appointment. They want to make sure it's not derelict or an AirB&B. They want to know if you have made local friends in the village.

best of luck!

Jack_Russells4ever Jun 12th 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by tonydilihaz (Post 12697190)
Its measured from the date on your address card. Get someone to help you with the Hungarian application form and with correspondence Be prepared to spend many hundreds of pounds on official translations, it has to be the official translation office, which is expensive. The language exemption is still available. Be prepared for immigration to visit your house at sometime, by appointment. They want to make sure it's not derelict or an AirB&B. They want to know if you have made local friends in the village.

best of luck!

Thanks,

Am I correct after the 3rd year of residence I can apply for Permanent Residency?

Immigration sent out 3 very nice ladies when we applied for our first residency permit, we did not know they were coming but it was no problem. I think they just were checking that we actually lived in the house we listed on the application and that it was habitable. They just asked about our plans for the future in Hungary and just a couple other questions I cannot remember. They spent more time talking about our dogs then the residency application. They were very friendly.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 12th 2019 8:30 pm

Am I correct after the 3rd year of residence I can apply for Permanent Residency?
Currently its 5 years.

We went through the same interview process here.

Jack_Russells4ever Jun 12th 2019 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12697228)
Currently its 5 years.

We went through the same interview process here.

Okay, Thanks for the information that it is 5 years not 3 years. No matter, we will do whatever is required if it is humanly possible. Time has really went by fast since we moved here.