Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

National Permanent Residence Permit expired for changing jobs?

National Permanent Residence Permit expired for changing jobs?

Old Feb 15th 2023, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

UKinMiskolc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Permanent Residence Permit expired for changing jobs?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I applied for National Permanent Residence Permit and got my ID Card with an expiry date of 2027. I was working at the time but later left the. I have started a new job and was told I need to reapply for residency and that I was here illegally because I wasn't working. Is this true? As soon as I left my old job I went to the government office and asked them if my status had changed and they categorically told me no, i can stay until 2027. My wife also has residency/ID card but doesn't work. She would like to begin working but this now seems like it would be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2023, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Permanent Residence Permit expired for changing jobs?

Who told you that you need to reapply for residency?
Old Feb 15th 2023, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

ecurb is an unknown quantity at this point

You are fine, I see from another thread that you got your national permanent Res permit under brexit, it should have some words on the card indicating this.It is not related to a particular job which maybe the case for some other holders. I guess that is why you have got the conflicting information.
Try explaning this to the people at your new job.i.e. you are covered by the Brexit withdrawal agreement and not to a particular job.
Or if they do not understand refer them to the OIF (Directorate of Aliens Police)
Old Feb 15th 2023, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

There is nothing on the card referencing Brexit, but yes this was definitely sorted during the withdrawal agreement period. The issue date on the card is 23.6.22

Edit - originally I thought id been issued a replacment card but my wife says this isn't true

Last edited by UKinMiskolc; Feb 15th 2023 at 9:08 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2023, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

My new employer
Old Feb 15th 2023, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKinMiskolc
My new employer
I think they have got it wrong.
As said above - you are fine.
I don't think the permanent residency that you have is special because of Brexit, just that the process to get it was special.
Permanent residency is not tied to a particular job . If your new employer is worried suggest he talks to the local okmányiroda.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 4:08 am
Just Joined

This is what I believed as well. Is it still describe as permanent residency despite it having an expiry date? I think I will go myself to solve this problem because I've been told so many different things, I don't trust that all parties really know whats going on. I am in Budapest now. Do you know where I would need to go to sort this in person?
Old Feb 16th 2023, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I am in Budapest now. Do you know where I would need to go to sort this in person?
Start off at the nearest okmányiroda. And get something in writing.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Start off at the nearest okmányiroda. And get something in writing.
Thanks Peter, I will update the thread when I have an answer
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
I think they have got it wrong.
As said above - you are fine.
I don't think the permanent residency that you have is special because of Brexit, just that the process to get it was special.
Permanent residency is not tied to a particular job . If your new employer is worried suggest he talks to the local okmányiroda.
I spoke with the lawyer at my company, who deals with foreign workers. She said the law has changed now and because my circumstances have changed they have to make me a new residency card and I have to apply for my residency again and because of these new law changes they are not able to make me a new card with the same status.

Seems ridiculous to me that they aren't honoring an agreement with another country and I am being penalized because I am working. I have heard so many different versions, I dont know what to believe
Old Feb 16th 2023, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know where I would need to go to sort this in person?
Alternatively, try the office at Hármat Utca, district 10 (Pest).