Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Mystery of the disappearing Hungarians at Xmas/ New Year

Mystery of the disappearing Hungarians at Xmas/ New Year

Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:25 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery of the disappearing Hungarians at Xmas/ New Year

Basically, they disappear from normal activity.

It all goes very quiet, nobody to be seen in the village.

My wife says it is because they are doing family stuff. But really - all 10 days?

If it were the Hogmanay 3 days, I'd understand, completely. Is this somehow Hunmanay, but 10 days comatose???
Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:44 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mystery of the disappearing Hungarians at Xmas/ New Year

It has been extremely quiet in our village, only seen one person the past few days and only reason I saw them was I went to bin some rubbish.....got panhandled by a gypsy from down the road. Ha Ha, It was his lucky day, I gave him 4 or 5 hundred forints worth of change from my pocket. No matter, in my village they are pretty harmless.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:50 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

A few dog walkers, a couple of (rare) neighbours to shout greetings to, that's about it our end. The main Co-Op shop has been open - but empty.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're all in Budapest!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed any fewer people around over the holidays in our village, pretty much the same amount of activity. On the couple of occasions we ventured into Eger however, the shops were packed. We also went to our local spa for an hour on Sunday and left a little early because it was heaving, with a constant stream of new arrivals. In winter we often go for an hour on Sunday mornings, arriving at the opening time of 9 and it's never usually too busy. I hate sitting shoulder to shoulder and sharing my bath water with overweight, hairy strangers but this week was more like summertime, there were so many people there, I don't know how they would all fit into the indoor pools.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Not reserved just for this time of year here.
Happens most days especially Sundays, after 7 p.m. they all retreat behind their high walls and fences with their locked gates, and vegetate behind their suffocatingly thick net curtains and roller blinds.

This year had a bit more going on, 26th the woman 3 doors away dropped dead so police and ambulance, then mid-day yesterday a car hurtled up the road, lost control and smacked into the side of two parked cars with enough force to push them into the rainwater ditch, so more police and the road closed for a fair while for investigation and vehicle recovery. it is a one way single width totally straight urban road.
The Mayor (lives across the road) has done all his civic duties for Xmas and gone off skiing now. Old lady next door has gone to stay with family.

So life here on 1/1/19 is exactly the same as life here on 31/12/18.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the village near Hévíz there also was a lot of activity - shopping before Xmas.
Since then you see more cars - seems like many young ones living/working in Bp or Austria are visiting their parents.
Yesterday we had a lot of activity in fireworks - seems that one of our neighbours spent his wage on it so our cats stayed inside, really frightened ...
In the afternoon it's always quiet - many of the old people living here are either sleeping or watching tv from their beds and the difference between those two activities is almost imperceptible ...
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

You live in the wrong part of Hungary! Our village has been partying over Christmas and the New year with dinners, presents and lots of homemade wine and Palinka!