Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

My 26YO BMW just got another 2 years' 'possibility',my Hungarian bro in law says

My 26YO BMW just got another 2 years' 'possibility',my Hungarian bro in law says

Old May 30th 2023, 5:11 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default My 26YO BMW just got another 2 years' 'possibility',my Hungarian bro in law says

Yep - congrats are in order - the old beauty passed the MOT.

I certainly think 2 years validity on MOT test is better than 1!

Just hope it keeps on running, it's a bit rough, tbh.

Just village driving for the most part though I did do a nearly 100 km run in it to the airport and back a few days ago.

I don't think my car likes the adulterated petrol, ie the 5% or is it 10%? ethanol. Has had a reverse effect on me, ie I just traded up to the most expensive, most environmentally unfriendly petrol - but at least the car seems to run better than on 95 + ethanol.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 26YO BMW just got another 2 years' 'possibility',my Hungarian bro in law

My 1995 land rover 110 passed its MOT in February - Yup another 2 years of lugging around outrageous loads.

Be careful with E10 petrol as this can damage the fuel systems in older cars. My LR 110 doesn't have the problem 'cos it's diesel.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 1:42 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 26YO BMW just got another 2 years' 'possibility',my Hungarian bro in law

Good stuff.

I parked extremely badly this morning in the village to get some ATM cash out.

Bumped into 2 old boys - bought them both a cold beer in 2 different wee shops, good old handshakes, thanks my friend etc - they're both 70+ and the whole gesture cost me HUF 800 so who gives a monkey's - the point being not what a nice guy I am but that I never worried for a second about getting a parking ticket.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill Sykes
Bumped into 2 old boys -................ - they're both 70+ .
Careful about the descriptions.......... I'm not going to be old until the year after next - if then!!
Old Jun 1st 2023, 4:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Careful about the descriptions.......... I'm not going to be old until the year after next - if then!!
They're 70+ going on 80+, whereas sounds like you are 65 going on 55. Hit the big 6-0 this May so that was a terrible day. Next day - happy again.

My edes anyukam died a couple of years ago aged 87, so she did great - as Hungarian women perform/ age. She was OK right up util her last 6 months, when she went a bit nutso/ adult nappies. Couldn't wish for a better MIL tbh, she was very nice and also very helpful for our 3 kids. Never a cross word.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

They're 70+ going on 80+, whereas sounds like you are 65 going on 55.
Thanks but you're 10 years adrift !!
Old Jun 1st 2023, 6:25 pm
Banned

Watch out! PIH! - One of my neighbours did tell me a couple of years ago over a beer - she works in an old people's home, that when certain residents 'pass the point' of sanity and health and happiness - they give them a happy drug to put them out of their misery + a knockout drug.

I'm sure that happens in a lot of countries.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I don't think my car likes the adulterated petrol, ie the 5% or is it 10%? ethanol. Has had a reverse effect on me, ie I just traded up to the most expensive, most environmentally unfriendly petrol - but at least the car seems to run better than on 95 + ethanol.
It is likely that your BMW needs the higher octane (97 or 98) to run properly anyway. BMWs have a higher compression ratio than more mundane cars, and the higher octane fuel is needed to stop the vapour in the cylinder from detonating (igniting prematurely).

I recently had the engine replaced in my Honda, with an engine from the equivalent Acura (posh Honda), which has a higher compression ratio. For the first roughly 400 miles I was using up the lower-octane petrol that was already in the tank, and the engine ran poorly and was no more powerful than the old engine had been (before the timing chain slipped ). Once I put the higher octane petrol in, the difference was like night and day!