Moving soon

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving soon

Csókolom is used out here all of the time too, although it is primarily used when the person offering the greeting is at least a generation younger than the person being greeted. The exception being male to male and very rarely hear it in those situations although it does not seem to be "taboo" as I have heard it said, just not very often.

I'm sure we all have our language hang-ups, mine is nyolc... I know it but do you think I can use it in a conversation to mean 8? Never not once
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Have to say that in this area everybody seems to Csokolom everybody!
I was told to use it the first time for letting someone past on a stairway, Now I know the literal translation it seems a bit of odd.
So would I be correct in thinking it is a word which has grown apart from it's literal meaning?

This is one of the dangers of speaking a language parrot fashion without learning what you are actually saying!
The other problem is from only hearing the word I have been saying CsokoNom, because thats how it sounded, I know my hearing is not good, but I am wondering about the sound of 'N' and 'L' now since my friends daughter is Anna, but is called Nucy which to my battered hearing sounds more like Lucy.

Since we have just started a recipe and seed thread perhaps we should have a language thread as well for numpties like me.
I can't find 'Csokolom' in my Grimm KIADO Magyar-Angol dictionary and it's a Hungarian edition! I have also just asked my wife about 'Csokolom' and thankfully I pronounced it correctly but I am not sure if from my wife's explanation I would say it to my mother-in-law! If someone here could assure me it's perfectly safe I'll say it to her next time! I don't want a slap across the face!

Great idea to have a language thread .... I need all the help I can get

I often find myself struggling to hear, despite the volume being on extremely loud, exactly how a word on my Byki software should be pronounced but think if I do pronounce the word wrongly I'll just have to grin and bear the laughs it creates!

Last edited by FenTiger; Jun 2nd 2013 at 9:04 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Hungarians claim that Hungarian is a phonetic language but some of the pronunciations seem to vary quite a bit. For example, Pécs is pronounced something like "peach" by Google translate but Hungarians make it sound more like "page".
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

"The other problem is from only hearing the word I have been saying CsokoNom, because thats how it sounded, I know my hearing is not good, but I am wondering about the sound of 'N' and 'L' now since my friends daughter is Anna, but is called Nucy..."

I have it on good authority, from my native other half, that Nucy is a diminutive form of Annus, (pronounced Annush), which itself is a diminutive form of Anna.

My problem with names is that many don't sound like English names, and sometimes I don,t know if in a conversation, somebody is referring to a person, a place or just a new word I don't know. And trying to remember the name of someone I've recently met could be a whole new thread on social faux pas.