Moving soon

Old May 29th 2013, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road
Default Moving soon

Hello All,

I've been viewing this forum for some months now as my family (Hungarian wife) will be moving to Hungary, Komaron Esztergom megye, during the school Summer holiday.

There is a wealth of excellent information here and we've learned a great deal from it. I am looking forward to participating regularly.

My first question as a newbie is how long did it take for members to feel settled in Hungary?

I've been visiting Hungary for around 15 years now and feel quite at home there but obviously holidays and surviving or earning a living are two different things. We will probably have sufficient funds to live for a year whilst we try to find jobs, we have a property already paid for. My profession is in the Business Intelligence side of IT and I would hope to find work with a multi-national but I'm under no illusions it may be difficult.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old May 30th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving soon

Mornin' Cruncher,
Firstly, Welcome aboard!
I think the answer to your question is 'How long is a piece of string'
The answer will be different to everyone, and of course it depends on the definition of 'settled'

For me it just felt right to move and I felt this was my home from the moment I paid for my house, and i am still totally happy here with no regrets or second thoughts.
Other than the pleasantries of the day I don't speak the language but it doesn't detract from my contentment.

Others will be along to add their views, and we look forward to hearing your views on the varied topics posted on the forum.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It must be so much easier if a family member speaks the language that I would not try to compare my position with yours C_C. It never ceases to amaze me how similar Hungarians are to Brits but in terms of politeness and consideration for others they are more like Brits from the 1950s. I am often ashamed of being British when I hear about football hooligans, drunken revellers in Spanish holiday resorts etc. I'm sure Hungarians have less to be ashamed of in their fellow countrymen. I did look at Bulgaria but I think going there would have been a bigger culture shock than coming here. Obviously there are differences and not all of them good. For example you will find Hungarians don't always treat their animals with as much compassion or affection as we are used to in Britain. I hesitate to use the word pets as cats and dogs are not always regarded as pets here. Dogs guard your property and cats are there to rid it of vermin.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We have felt settled from the day we moved here. I think it helped because like you we have been coming to Hungary for many years and knew the area well. We also bought our house about six months before we moved in so had somewhere familiar to move to straight away. Our neighbours have helped massively by being so welcoming and helpful.
Good luck with the move....
Old May 30th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it depends on your definition of settled, we have been here a shade over 5 years and right off the bat we were welcomed in our tiny wee village. As our language skills improve we increasingly feel more comfortable, we did take language lessons for 6 months before we moved but the sort of thing you learn in a lesson are kinda useless when it comes to owning a small holding in a village with a population of less than 200 people none of whom speak English.

Communicating with grunts and single words was tough and made me feel a little crappy but after a 2-3 years (the first year we spent locked away on our plot renovating our property) we started being able to string together rudimentary conversations and things got much more "comfortable". Now if we are not seen in the village meeting spot (the pub) for more than a couple of days they send a search party out for us.
Old May 31st 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the welcome and responses. I have to agree that one of the things that I encountered when I first came to Hungary was the general behaviour and respectfulness that Hungarians have towards each other. I am not old enough to remember the 50's but it's an era I feel I would have been at home in as it fits in with my 'moral compass'. I also feel safer wandering around the village in Hungary in the evening when the kids are around than I do in the UK.

We are lucky enough to have a good circle of friends in Hungary, courtesy of my wife, who have stayed in touch during her 15 years living in the UK. They made me feel very welcome from the first time we met, and though my Hungarian language skills don't reflect the time I have spent with a native speaker we are all looking forward to getting to know each other better as the conversational skills improve. An extra bonus - I can't really converse with my mother-in-law which means we have a pretty good relationship.

It's a great place to bring the kids up with bigger gardens to run wild in and I think Hungarians, along with a lot of mainland European countries, are more tolerant of children especially in public, restaurants etc.

Thanks again for the responses. I'll try to chip in my two cents worth on other topics where appropriate.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carrot_Cruncher
An extra bonus - I can't really converse with my mother-in-law which means we have a pretty good relationship.
Hear, hear ... same with me!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Hungarians are more tolerant of children, I think it is the fact that young children here are far more respectful and polite to their elders that makes them liked and welcomed.

My friend is a teacher at the local school, and being a small town it is impossible to walk in the street or go shopping without almost every passing child giving a polite greeting, because they know her, this even extends to teenagers who are now ex pupils.

As for the adults, Yes they are very friendly and helpful too, almost too much so. Which is fine if you yourself are a very social type of person, but for anyone who values peace quiet and privacy just to do their own thing at the own pace Hungarians can be just a tad overbearing.

I know I live next door to one!
She even called my hungarian friend to check I was ok the other morning, because I had not bothered to put the car in the garage for the night.
Yes I know some of you will tell me it is nice that she cares, but equally it is exasperating to know they watch and note everything.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, people in my village are disappointed that I'm so slow to learn Hungarian as they want to be able to talk to me. Of course, it could be they want to complain about things I do or criticise the way I do things, so ignorance might be bliss in some cases!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Very true Fid.

Added to my above comments, I have just been to have an ice cream, I only have a single scoop because the owner always refuses totally to take any money, He lived in London for 5 years and welcomes the opportunity to speak english.

I mentioned Hungarians being over polite, he said he is quite often told off by teenagers who don't like his over formal old fashion greeting.
He greets all his female customer with an expression which is basically a verbal version of greeting a lady by bowing to kiss her hand.

Although purely verbal and totally excepted by older women, I can see why teenage girls would find such a greeting as inappropriate in this modern day and age.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duztee
Very true Fid.

Added to my above comments, I have just been to have an ice cream, I only have a single scoop because the owner always refuses totally to take any money, He lived in London for 5 years and welcomes the opportunity to speak english.

I mentioned Hungarians being over polite, he said he is quite often told off by teenagers who don't like his over formal old fashion greeting.
He greets all his female customer with an expression which is basically a verbal version of greeting a lady by bowing to kiss her hand.

Although purely verbal and totally excepted by older women, I can see why teenage girls would find such a greeting as inappropriate in this modern day and age.
We get that greeting (Csókolom) very regularly, primarily from the yoof and Julie recieves it from the older chaps in the village. it makes me grumble as I aint all that old yet Other than that I find it incredibly endearing
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

No Csokolom is just a general polite greeting.
His greeting is 'Kezitcsokolom' which he translated as meaning i kiss your hand.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

His greeting is 'Kezitcsokolom' which he translated as meaning i kiss your hand.
Csókolom literally translates to I kiss (it), Kezét or Kezit referes to the hand. It is exactly the same greeting one is just a shorter and possibly less formal version, it took me a long time to use it as I was not comfortable. But now it is a standard greeting for the older ladies in the village from me, this dour faced Brummie has even broken out the double "puszi" which amuses the snot out of my friends when they come and visit
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Csokolom is the formal and respectful greeting typically given by younger men to older women.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Have to say that in this area everybody seems to Csokolom everybody!
I was told to use it the first time for letting someone past on a stairway, Now I know the literal translation it seems a bit of odd.
So would I be correct in thinking it is a word which has grown apart from it's literal meaning?

This is one of the dangers of speaking a language parrot fashion without learning what you are actually saying!
The other problem is from only hearing the word I have been saying CsokoNom, because thats how it sounded, I know my hearing is not good, but I am wondering about the sound of 'N' and 'L' now since my friends daughter is Anna, but is called Nucy which to my battered hearing sounds more like Lucy.

Since we have just started a recipe and seed thread perhaps we should have a language thread as well for numpties like me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.