Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Moving to Lake Balaton area

Moving to Lake Balaton area

Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving to Lake Balaton area

Hi everyone,

We have just bought a property in Polgardi and intend to move there in June 2011 once everything is sorted here in the UK (and we have done some serious learning of the language!). I am training to be a canine myotherapist (remedial dog massage) and wondered if there was a market for this in Hungary - I also do other animal therapies but would be too complicated and long to explain in this thread. My husband is a hyphotherapist/life coach/NLP practitioner and soon to be Swedish Massage therapist (lots of therapists in this thread!). We may be mad, and this may be a mad decision - but we are coming anyway - all advices appreciated.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving to Lake Balaton area

Hi,
Firstly welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase of your property we too have just bought in balatonbereny a few weeks ago and plan to move out for xmas.
Most people in Hungary do have dogs so you never know there may very well be a market. I too have life coaching and NLP skills not quite sure if I will ever use it there but who knows. My advise would be do as you are already doing, research ask questions you will find people on here very helpful.
I speak hungarian so If I can be of any help then please do not hesitate to ask me.
Regards
Carol
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Carol for your welcome. We are really excited and can't wait to move. Where are you moving from may I ask? Is Balatonbereny far from Polgardi do you know?

If anyone knows anything about Polgardi that would be great.

Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:10 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE and the Hungarian forum
If you haven't done so already, you might like to visit the Welcome Inn for lots of useful information on using the site.
If you need any assistance, there are always moderators and concierges about who are more than happy to help, I am the concierge for the Hungarian forum and you can contact me here

Sorry if I sound negative, it's not intentional but I believe it is best to be honest. In Hungary, animal welfare is very much near the bottom of the list of priorities. The majority of Hungarians have dogs for security purposes, they do not regard them as pets, if they are fed and given shelter, they are lucky. From my experience, the veterinary surgeries here are extremely basic with only the larger practices having more than the most basic equipment due to a lack of funding : (lack of demand for treatment?)

You are fortunate in that you have purchased close to Lake Velence and thus closer to Budapest as there may be demand for your services in Budapest and the more affluent areas.

Again, demand for a life coach would, I believe, be confined to the Budapest area. On a more positive note however, a massage therapist should be able to find employment (provided your husband speaks Hungarian to a reasonable standard), alternatively, you could consider setting up your own business and targeting the holiday market.

Good luck

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Nov 10th 2010 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Remedial Canine Massage is used for working dogs (i.e. hunting/agility etc) - so perhaps it may be only a very narrow opportunity. I think we will be certainly trying our hand at anything and everything. I also work with horses too. We have a little while to get our head around things and will be using this time in the UK for Hungarian lessons and research etc. We are also looking to buy more property to renovate and let out. So - lots of ideas and opportunities. Thank you for giving me the negative, one has to go into these things with eyes wide open!
Old Nov 13th 2010, 4:28 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polgari, I agree, if you know the negatives and are prepared from them, they can be easier to cope with. No point wearing rose coloured spectacles

Working with horses will be a valuable skill, especially if you master the language. Also, along with your rental idea, perhaps consider relaxation and therapy holidays combining both of your skills? You sound full of energy and willing to tackle anything so I am sure you will make it work for you

Good luck
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you rural hungary.

I do have a veterinary question that I cannot seem to find an answer to and I wondered if anyone can help??

In the UK before you can work on someone elses animal. you first need veterinary consent (i.e. the vet signs a form). I cannot seem to find out what the law is in Hungary in this regard. I have been in contact with a couple of vets with no success and also a rescue centre, who have never heard of this. I am pretty sure its a UK thing, but just wondered if there was something similar in Hungary. Any help appreciated.

How is the weather at the moment? Hope you are all keeping well