Reload this Page >

Moving to Hungary

Moving to Hungary

Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

enter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Hungary

Originally Posted by Szeged View Post
Sometimes you need to remember you are not the only one on the road and therefore do whatever you can to prevent accidents from happening. You would be foolish not to fit winter tyres and snow chains for example in extreme snow conditions. The same applies to other safety kit equipment (i.e. a reflective triangle and jacket during breakdown, spares light bulbs, first aid kit, etc). They are not sold for profit making. They are sold to help save lives. Tell the parents of the daughter you just ran over and killed "It was not law to have these safety features/items fitted, that why I did not care to much about killing your daughter".
If the weather is bad enough for snow chains ,which I have't got, we don't go out.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

We've been snowed in 3 times in 25 years, we've never had snow chains (or been asked to show them) and our Land Rover seems to cope with out them.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary View Post
We've been snowed in 3 times in 25 years, we've never had snow chains (or been asked to show them) and our Land Rover seems to cope with out them.
Somewhat disingenuous, as EVERY Hungarian winter would be a 'snowed in' winter in UK, ie country grinding to a halt and no traffic moving. But with winter/ snow tyres, everybody just goes about their business normally.

Our village is pretty hilly and gets loads of snow. Virtually nobody with snow tyres will be stopped from driving pretty normally & we don't get much in the way of snow clearing, it's sometimes difficult getting up our drive - too steep, we're built into a hill - but once on the roads, it's easy. No need for 4x4.

UK people don't understand that snow tyres work better in the snow (on 2 wheel drive) than 4 wheel drive on ordinary tyres!
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken but it is not usually the getting going that causes problems but the stopping - before you hit what ever you are sliding into.

Oh and the snowed in bit was between 1m and 2m snow drifts on the entrance drive. (eventually necessitating a drive across the pasture when the bread flour ran out)
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is an unknown quantity at this point

I was iced in about 3 times - once when my wife had gone back to Bp (to stay with her mum with No 1) ready to give birth to No 2. That phenomenon when it rains and instantly freezes upon contact with the frozen roads. Got the phone call: baby imminent, get ye to hospital. In the car, up on our hill, it was 1 metre forwards, 2 metres back, not much fun in that situation.

I eventually walked down to the village centre on the flat and got a taxi I'd ordered into Bp just in time.

I call it ice rain, usually disappears within 24 hrs but makes driving a car impossible if you're stuck up a hill.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice

Yes,"havas esö" aka ice rain or black ice is the ugliest thing that can happen to you!
No busss will run, you're kind of locked in ...
The roads are immediately undrivable - luckily it doesn't happen too often.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Szeged View Post
:

Either way, as a vehicle owner, you MUST have snow chains onboard just in case winter driving conditions become extreme.
NO, there is no MUST have snow chains onboard. It is merely sensible to carry them. There are no police fines for not having them.
Alos, I have been stopped numerous times by the police and never had my car checked over, inside and out whilst they search for reasons to fine me. I can remember one occasion where one of the officers walked around the car, casually looking at the tyres (in summer), that's it.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nicewolfi is just really nice

Afaik the situation re chains is similar to that in Austria.
When the police find that on a certain road you can't drive without snow chains signs are put up - and then they check.
It often happens to trucks/lorries in the Hungarian/Slovenian border region south of Körmend that they are stopped until conditions become better.