Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Moving to Debrecen in 2023.

Moving to Debrecen in 2023.

Old Jul 7th 2020, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Debrecen in 2023.

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
It was £1000 per person OR £50K in savings NOT both
If that figure is correct and is rigidly enforced, then that would rule out anyone from the UK retiring in Hungary on just the state pension as that is in excess of the state pension and more than is needed to live a modest lifestyle outside of the big cities like Budapest ...
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Joetography is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh wow, thank you ALL for your replies and information. It's really appreciated.

Emese and I haven't really thought seriously about marriage as we both don't think it's worth it. We live a simple life and a fancy wedding never appealed. But maybe a reception marriage would be recommended in this case?! We have been together nearly 5 years now.

Regarding the renting out of our UK house, we would be using a letting agency and 150k huf will be the net amount after that and insurance is paid. We'll also keep some cash aside for emergencies.
Emese will be working full time so we will also get some income from her.
And if all goes well, I will be working from home on the internet. Or in an international office in Debrecen, epam, BT to name a couple. Obviously I'll know more about this plan nearer the time.

After doing some initial research I believe the "Residence permit for pursuit of gainful activity" maybe of use to me, as a potential freelancer/self employed person.

Does anybody know how I could show proof of accomodation? As the place I will be living in is owned by Emese.

I find it very "interesting" that there are no concrete numbers on how much is needed in savings/proof of subsistence.

Again, thank you for your replies.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joetography
.... After doing some initial research I believe the "Residence permit for pursuit of gainful activity" maybe of use to me, as a potential freelancer/self employed person.

Does anybody know how I could show proof of accomodation? As the place I will be living in is owned by Emese. ....
The registering of residence process is for people who are already allowed to enter Hungary to live, i.e. for citizens of the EU, which you won't be in 2023. You should concern yourself primarily with the requirements to get a visa because without a visa you won't be allowed to settle in Hungary anyway, and with all due respect, all the other people offering you advice on this thread are talking about registering residence as an EU citizen, which is a route that will not be open to you in 2023, .... unless you have a route to another EU passport. I don't suppose any of your grandparents are/ were Irish?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 7th 2020 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know how I could show proof of accomodation? As the place I will be living in is owned by Emese.
A simple statement written by Emese and properly witnessed stating that she will be providing you with accommodation at xxx address which she owns should suffice. (She may have to submit the land registry document (Tulajdoni Lap) to show that she has title to the property but this is easily done)
Old Jul 7th 2020, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Emese and I haven't really thought seriously about marriage as we both don't think it's worth it. We live a simple life and a fancy wedding never appealed. But maybe a reception marriage would be recommended in this case?! We have been together nearly 5 years now.
Marriage for the purpose of getting a resident card is the wrong reason to get married - however it is probably the easiest route to get resident status. The Hungarian spouse can also undertake to support the other half which makes proof of income easier (a non event)
Old Jul 8th 2020, 1:07 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
If that figure is correct and is rigidly enforced, then that would rule out anyone from the UK retiring in Hungary on just the state pension as that is in excess of the state pension and more than is needed to live a modest lifestyle outside of the big cities like Budapest ...

Again, I think it really depends upon the luck of the draw as to whom is your case worker. When we came here those were the numbers we were told by the foreigners office case worker handling our file and had I not asked I wouldn't have even known that. Maybe that was this employees criteria and not an official number that she went by. I don't know. I could never find any numbers on the Hungarian immigration website. We had more than adequate income to qualify by the information she gave . I think the main concern the foreigners office have is to not give residency permits to those whom will be unable to provide for themselves and require public assistance.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A simple statement written by Emese and properly witnessed stating that she will be providing you with accommodation at xxx address which she owns should suffice. (She may have to submit the land registry document (Tulajdoni Lap) to show that she has title to the property but this is easily done)
Super thank you.

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Marriage for the purpose of getting a resident card is the wrong reason to get married - however it is probably the easiest route to get resident status. The Hungarian spouse can also undertake to support the other half which makes proof of income easier (a non event)
Oh I totally agree it's a wrong reason, but if it will make our lives easier for the next 50 years, then it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
I think the main concern the foreigners office have is to not give residency permits to those whom will be unable to provide for themselves and require public assistance.
Very understandable. Thank you
Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Joetography - are you taking over any pets?
Obviously looking ahead to 2023 between now and then think twice about buying any stuff. The less you take the less the expense. We've got rid of a lot of stuff via the local Freecycle Network. Some items, paints (surprisingly!), local waste or recycling sites won't take so check well in advance you know where you can dispose of them.
If you have a car, do you take it over or sell?
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Joetography - are you taking over any pets?
Obviously looking ahead to 2023 between now and then think twice about buying any stuff. The less you take the less the expense. We've got rid of a lot of stuff via the local Freecycle Network. Some items, paints (surprisingly!), local waste or recycling sites won't take so check well in advance you know where you can dispose of them.
If you have a car, do you take it over or sell?
No, no pets.....sadly we put down our 13 year old dog last week. And I can't bring myself to get another. Maybe when we are over there and settled in, we might think about another. but probably not.
We only intend on bringing ourselves, clothes and valuable electronics. If I need to, I have a brother in-law who has a van. So if we do decide to bring any furniture, it'll be one van load. But Emese only has a small flat, so furnishing it won't be expensive. Probably makes sense to buy new/used in Hungary.
I do have a car but its a 54 reg and won't be worth it. So it'll be given away or scrapped. I've been to Debrecen and the transport system was great.

thanks
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

No, no pets.....sadly we put down our 13 year old dog last week. And I can't bring myself to get another. Maybe when we are over there and settled in, we might think about another. but probably not.
We only intend on bringing ourselves, clothes and valuable electronics. If I need to, I have a brother in-law who has a van. So if we do decide to bring any furniture, it'll be one van load. But Emese only has a small flat, so furnishing it won't be expensive. Probably makes sense to buy new/used in Hungary.
I do have a car but its a 54 reg and won't be worth it. So it'll be given away or scrapped. I've been to Debrecen and the transport system was great.

thanks
I feel your pain having your 13 year old dog put down last week. Best wait until you are in Hungary which is what we are going to do. We already have a dog and it is very expensive to transport a dog, in particularly if there are no other pets being transported to the same area. To Spain, France or other more popular countries alot cheaper because the transporters can split the cost between the different locations they are transporting to. Our dog will be transported by road in an air conditioned van! Lucky devil, less risk of catching Covid-19 from other passengers flying!
We are as mentioned staying with the mother-in-law until we have found a house but the supply in the village where we want to buy a house is limited, either the property is too big or too small!
That's great you have a brother-in-law with a van.
2023 might come quicker than you expect!
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

I feel your pain having your 13 year old dog put down last week. Best wait until you are in Hungary which is what we are going to do. We already have a dog and it is very expensive to transport a dog, in particularly if there are no other pets being transported to the same area. To Spain, France or other more popular countries alot cheaper because the transporters can split the cost between the different locations they are transporting to. Our dog will be transported by road in an air conditioned van! Lucky devil, less risk of catching Covid-19 from other passengers flying!
We are as mentioned staying with the mother-in-law until we have found a house but the supply in the village where we want to buy a house is limited, either the property is too big or too small!
That's great you have a brother-in-law with a van.
2023 might come quicker than you expect!
Ahhhh an air conditioned vehicle, my car decided it didn't want to be cool in the summer. haha.
How long a you willing to wait for a house in the same village? Nothing in the next village?

Yes my brother in law delivers motorcycles around the UK and western europe, so he would be used to a long drive to Debrecen.

Emese feels like 2023 is a long way away, but it really isn't.

(now just the issue of visas and residency permits)
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ahhhh an air conditioned vehicle, my car decided it didn't want to be cool in the summer. haha.
How long a you willing to wait for a house in the same village? Nothing in the next village?

Yes my brother in law delivers motorcycles around the UK and western europe, so he would be used to a long drive to Debrecen.

Emese feels like 2023 is a long way away, but it really isn't.

(now just the issue of visas and residency permits)
"How long a you willing to wait for a house in the same village? Nothing in the next village?" - Until I can't stand my mother-in-law anymore! ;-) I've seen a couple of houses on Ingatlan in the next village but my wife wants to be closer to her mother. Maybe when we are there next few weeks we might look at houses in the next village. There are some brand new houses, minus the kitchen and I think bathroom fittings but wrong location.

Old Jul 8th 2020, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

"How long a you willing to wait for a house in the same village? Nothing in the next village?" - Until I can't stand my mother-in-law anymore! ;-) I've seen a couple of houses on Ingatlan in the next village but my wife wants to be closer to her mother. Maybe when we are there next few weeks we might look at houses in the next village. There are some brand new houses, minus the kitchen and I think bathroom fittings but wrong location.
Haha,

oh ingatlan annoys me. Why are there never any decent photographs of the property. 1 crappy photo of a room and that's it. I want to see all the rooms, and the garden and house.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Haha,

oh ingatlan annoys me. Why are there never any decent photographs of the property. 1 crappy photo of a room and that's it. I want to see all the rooms, and the garden and house.
Ingatlan - I completely agree with you on this. It's as though the owners or the estate agents whichever took the photos does not want to sell! Too many times I found myself staring at a photo in portrait when a landscape photo would have been much, much better! Photos of the front of the property seem rare as though the seller doesn't want neighbours to suss they are selling their property! I'm beginning to think one photo means it's crap, two photos slightly better, five probably okay, ten much better and fifteen worth a look but it will be very expensive! Often the exact location is not disclosed but when it is Google Maps Street View is pretty good in giving you a good idea of the neighbourhood. I saw one property on Ingatlan, liked it, but looking at the property using Street View immediately on the left that property looked like it was a working scrapyard or vehicle repair centre. No way, too much noise and coming and going traffic!
Old Jul 8th 2020, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

I'm beginning to think one photo means it's crap, two photos slightly better, five probably okay, ten much better and fifteen worth a look but it will be very expensive!
Most definitely! haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.