Reload this Page >

Motorcycle registration

Motorcycle registration

Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:59 am
Just Joined

phatbiker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motorcycle registration

I know this has been given out before but I have lost the details

I want to know how much it is going to cost me to re register my Honda Goldwing onto Hungarian plates, is there anyone out there who can help me?

I also need to insure the bike and again can I be pointed in the direction of a Hungarian insurance company who will insure my bike

Hopefully someone can help
Old Feb 24th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle registration

A lot depends on age and engine size but it's much cheaper now than it it used to be.
I imported and registered a 1993 Yamaha xt 600 last year and all in it cost me around 70,000 huf but I can't remember whether that included 16,000 huf for the insurance. I insured it with Groupama but my other vehicles are insured with Allianz.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:52 am
Just Joined

It's a 2002 Goldwing which has a 1800 engine
Old Feb 24th 2015, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
A lot depends on age and engine size but it's much cheaper now than it it used to be.
I imported and registered a 1993 Yamaha xt 600 last year and all in it cost me around 70,000 huf but I can't remember whether that included 16,000 huf for the insurance. I insured it with Groupama but my other vehicles are insured with Allianz.
Where did you take it to get this done? Was there many forms to fill etc etc and did they speak English? Where did you then have to take the bike for its MOT and checked before getting plates?
Old Feb 24th 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I did it all in Eger and it took about 3 days. Most of the people I came into contact with spoke no English so I made sure I had a translator with me at all times. It wasn't a difficult process but a little time consuming.
If your headlight is directional it will need replacing as the sticker to alter the dip isn't admissable. The müszaki can't be done at any old müszaki station. Each area will have its own special place as the vehicle must conform to all standards.
The most time consuming place was the customs and excise office(?) as I had to go there, collect some forms to complete and then return 3 days later. I didn't complete the forms as I didn't understand them but the woman was really helpful did it for me
The final place was the okmányiroda to get the new documents and the plate. I think this only took about 20 minutes and was pretty straight forward.
There are garages who will do all the work for you (for a fee) so depending on who you know or how good your Hungarian is then that may be an easier route.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

I take it that all this will have to be done locally to mei.e within my county and at the local offices near to where I live?
Unfortunately my friend and translator is in DEBRECEN about 250 miles from my house
Old Feb 24th 2015, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would think you could do it in a different area as you don't need to have a number plate specific to your location, unlike in some countries. I bought a bike in a different county of Hungary and transferred the registration but kept the existing number.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phatbiker
I take it that all this will have to be done locally to mei.e within my county and at the local offices near to where I live?
Unfortunately my friend and translator is in DEBRECEN about 250 miles from my house
Why is it a problem with your translator being 250 miles away? If your translator has a mobile or landline telephone and you have a mobile you can switch it between yourself and the contact at the local offices or garage. That's if you only need a translator for speaking. Obviously if there's forms to fill in then you could scan and send them by email.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, only need to do it locally for convenience. There have been people on here who have discussed re-registering cars and using local garages who will complete the whole process for you. Hopefully someone will be along to remind us or you could do a search on the forum for info on registering a vehicle here
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Have had some pointers and have to get a tax card from my local NAV office and seems that the local town hall will deal with the registration process, been sent a calculus and looks like around 30,000 HUF to do this.then will need to find a garage to test the bike etc. Fen . .... To be honest I never looked at it like that andd will use them that way if required
Old Feb 26th 2015, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phatbiker
Have had some pointers and have to get a tax card from my local NAV office and seems that the local town hall will deal with the registration process, been sent a calculus and looks like around 30,000 HUF to do this.then will need to find a garage to test the bike etc. Fen . .... To be honest I never looked at it like that andd will use them that way if required
It's how the police in uk use translators when the other party has no understanding of English.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
It's how the police in uk use translators when the other party has no understanding of English.
I won't ask how you come to know that!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point

Phatbiker, did you manage to get your Goldwing registered? I am interested as thinking of bring a Pan over...