Mosquito Season

Old May 26th 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mosquito Season

We tried that a couple of years ago with very little joy, I have started to be bitten by Mozzies but I am not reacting to them this year fortunately... I am however being nibbled on by something that I have yet to identify that I am reacting to with the bite being irritable and visible for about a week
Old May 26th 2014, 10:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit, when the mozzies annoy me, I think back to Bulgaria and thank myself I don't have to deal with the flies - they were a whole other level of annoyance.
Old May 26th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
We tried that a couple of years ago with very little joy, I have started to be bitten by Mozzies but I am not reacting to them this year fortunately... I am however being nibbled on by something that I have yet to identify that I am reacting to with the bite being irritable and visible for about a week

I still get the big lumps from the mosquito bites but there is something else that has bitten me and left small red lumps. I wondered if it could be ants? The mosquito problem is not so bad here in Hungary this spring but the Croatia property is plagued by them. There are also hornets. I've never been stung by one but they are scary looking beasts
Old May 27th 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

We lived in Spain on the coast and still had
visitors who would be covered in bites.
No were near a lake.
Old May 27th 2014, 11:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I still get the big lumps from the mosquito bites but there is something else that has bitten me and left small red lumps. I wondered if it could be ants? The mosquito problem is not so bad here in Hungary this spring but the Croatia property is plagued by them. There are also hornets. I've never been stung by one but they are scary looking beasts
Some of the ants give quite a nasty nip so could well be. Are the hornets the large European ones?
Old May 28th 2014, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a mozzie killer app on the IPad , try that....it kills everything with its sound. ha ha..no mozzies here... Our Varoshaza Elnok pays a helicopter each spring that sprays the fields and the gardens with mosquito killers, so the eggs cannot hatch and thrive and later eat us wussy Expats. Actually we started looking more tanned these days, especially DH. As long as we have sun we do not bother about the mosquitos. They do not like the heat!

The Balaton area always had issues with mosquitos. That is why less and less foreign tourists are coming to the lake. Cutting the funds there is less money to deal with the creatures. Years ago it was full of Germans and Dutch, but these days you see more of the Hungarian working class people holidaying at the Balaton, which you could never see in the 90s.

Times have changed. Posh people and those who can afford cheap holidays travel abroad where there are no mosquitos. It is simple as that! We have a weekend cottage in Badacsony, but we rarely go down there, as for the mosquitos and the dirty lake. It is great for sailing, but swimming in a stagnant water when it is full of thousands of sweaty people, it's a NO NO for me and my grandchildren. Over the years, and that is not exaggeration, we have seen all sorts of nasty things floating on the top, including human excrement.

We enjoy more the inflatable swimming pool in our own quiet garden or prefer a cold spring or river in the mountains. I would advise Rauris in Austria, or Salzburg...that is worth giving it a go. Pure Heaven!

LZ x

Last edited by Lady Zelda; May 28th 2014 at 1:39 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Some of the ants give quite a nasty nip so could well be. Are the hornets the large European ones?
Could very well be although most of these bites appear on my arms, having said that it could well be anything as I spend an inordinate amount of time rummaging through the long grass and foliage to take photos of bugs... So many would say they are 'self inflicted'
Old May 28th 2014, 7:01 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub
Could very well be although most of these bites appear on my arms, having said that it could well be anything as I spend an inordinate amount of time rummaging through the long grass and foliage to take photos of bugs... So many would say they are 'self inflicted'
Sorry, I meant Fib's bites lol

They could also be those small black flies, I used to get bitten a lot by them and they do nip somewhat - they are like mini houseflies/bluebottles but you find them in the garden.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Rural Hungary.

How're doing . Well I hope.

We have sand flies down here in New Zealand. I think in America or Canada thy may be called blackflies. Very small but give quite a nip. Then they will itch & hurt for quite a while.

Do you have those?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

This little homily from my friend in Lousianna ............ bottle used is a plastic 2 litre water bottle.
.................................................. .................................................. ..............
Have you noticed the Mosquitos are already out! Here is a homemade trap to help keep you and the kiddos from being a blood donor!!!

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Notalab is an unknown quantity at this point

forgot to add.... the light a/c that sprays for mosquitos has been over the village twice this year.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 4:02 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi Rural Hungary.

How're doing . Well I hope.

We have sand flies down here in New Zealand. I think in America or Canada thy may be called blackflies. Very small but give quite a nip. Then they will itch & hurt for quite a while.

Do you have those?
Just goolged it Bev and we do get them in Hungary. I'm wondering if I've spotted them but thought them to be "baby" mozzies - or are they much smaller than that?
Old Jun 12th 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notalab
forgot to add.... the light a/c that sprays for mosquitos has been over the village twice this year.
Hope the mosquito trap above doesn't bring down the a/c!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:49 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Balaton we have lift off