Mosquito Season

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:21 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquito Season

Ads will be targeted to relevant threads
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea what is nibbling on me at the moment but I am getting some very strange reactions! I'm used to getting bitten and generally take no notice, a little itchy but 20 mins later all gone...

It's only been happening in the last week or so but they are coming up like blisters and getting huge red marks around them with a slight inflammation, got one on my arm yesterday and the red mark is about 100mm in diameter
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by llareggub
I have no idea what is nibbling on me at the moment but I am getting some very strange reactions! I'm used to getting bitten and generally take no notice, a little itchy but 20 mins later all gone...

It's only been happening in the last week or so but they are coming up like blisters and getting huge red marks around them with a slight inflammation, got one on my arm yesterday and the red mark is about 100mm in diameter
Join the bite club!!! yes treat with anti histamine cream/pills and the swelling will be gone in about 2/3 days and the bite mark about a week. I have some bites that have left scars on my thumb
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:26 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Are they like small water blisters
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I might invest in a burka before I fly over to Hungary next week. These mosquito bites are scaring me!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Are they like small water blisters
Yeah, they go down after an hour or so and then the red 'blotch' appears.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

For the last week the mosquito problem has been overshadowed by the cleg (horse fly) problem, especially when taking Charlie, the Basset Hound for walks in the forest. They are smaller than the UK horse flies but they still give a worse bite than a mozzie, as they tear the flesh rather than piercing it. The bites usually bleed a bit and can swell up a lot if you don't swat the fly the instant it bites.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Yeah, they go down after an hour or so and then the red 'blotch' appears.
Sounds like contact dermatitis caused by a reaction to something in the garden. I get it if I touch or brush past my nasturtiums, grew them for years without problems

Fib, is it not perhaps deer fly that are bothering you? The horse fly here are huge, bigger than any cleg I ever saw and they tend not to like shaded areas. The deer fly however are smaller and you do find them in forests, their bites are equally as sore and likely to cause a reaction.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like contact dermatitis caused by a reaction to something in the garden. I get it if I touch or brush past my nasturtiums, grew them for years without problems
It would be a surprise if it is, never had anything like it at all... Our garden is sparse this year and as such is left mostly alone. I believe it's a bug of some sort, just never seen a reaction like it on my body despite 20 years of dragging my sorry behind around the world
Old Aug 5th 2013, 6:12 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

It would be a surprise if it is, never had anything like it at all... Our garden is sparse this year and as such is left mostly alone. I believe it's a bug of some sort, just never seen a reaction like it on my body despite 20 years of dragging my sorry behind around the world
I had never reacted to anything in the garden before until a couple of years ago when I had the odd one or two isolated blisters which disappeared quickly but left a red blotch and would sometimes be itchy. Never really bothered me and never gave it much thought until this year when I erupted in them and started searching for a cause and it turned out to be contact dermatitis and flared up every time I touched the nasturtiums.

Hopefully yours is something different as if it worsens, it is quite uncomfortable.

Midges, mosquitoes and gnats

Bites from midges, mosquitoes and gnats often cause small papules (lumps) to form on your skin that are usually very itchy. If you are particularly sensitive to insect bites, you may develop:
bullae (fluid-filled blisters)
weals (circular, fluid-filled areas surrounding the bite)

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Aug 5th 2013 at 6:16 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Had to post this. Watch the video!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ome-video.html
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Another article in the Daily Mail about Mozzies!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ing-women.html
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Fib, is it not perhaps deer fly that are bothering you? The horse fly here are huge, bigger than any cleg I ever saw and they tend not to like shaded areas. The deer fly however are smaller and you do find them in forests, their bites are equally as sore and likely to cause a reaction.
Yes, they are all members of the tabanidae genus and in north east Scotland they were all just referred to as clegs. I have seen a large grey fly about the size and shape of a hornet, which I guess is the Hungarian horse fly you mentioned.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, they are all members of the tabanidae genus and in north east Scotland they were all just referred to as clegs. I have seen a large grey fly about the size and shape of a hornet, which I guess is the Hungarian horse fly you mentioned.
Hi, in North West Scotland, we also called them clegs though I remember them being just bigger than a normal blue bottle, nothing like the monsters here. The horse flies we have seen are either dark brown or dark grey and more elongated than a normal fly. The inch long ones are quite horrid with their bulbous, metallic looking eyes. Thankfully, they are big enough that you tend to feel them land on you and can swot them before they bite.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just looked at some images of these horse flies ... jeez ... they look scarey .... they remind me of a horror movie whereby this scientist ends up as a fly! or am I imagining things!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.