Mopeds

Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mopeds

Tried to search this topic but am getting the full works and not only Hungary. What are the rules for riding mopeds for UK driving licence holder in Hungary? How do I ensure I'm insured?
Old Jul 20th 2019, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mopeds

Insurance comes with the moped. That is the moped will have any (licensed) driver insurance. I don't know about a UK driving license but a Hungarian car license covers for a moped. I suggest you ask at your local 'plod shop' about the use of a UK B license for driving a moped
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Insurance comes with the moped. That is the moped will have any (licensed) driver insurance. I don't know about a UK driving license but a Hungarian car license covers for a moped. I suggest you ask at your local 'plod shop' about the use of a UK B license for driving a moped
Do you mean in UK or Hungary? My UK Driving licence is a full driving licence and I passed before 2001:

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

• You can ride a moped (max 50cc) without L plates.
  • If you want to ride a motorcycle over 50cc and up to 125cc you will need to take CBT.
  • Once you have a valid CBT certificate you can ride a 125cc with L plates.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

FenTiger,

Re what you're allowed to ride:

EU driving licences are harmonized and the basic rule is that you can drive/ride anything anywhere in the EU that your (full) driving licence says you can drive/ride. There are certain restrictions; an obvious one is that 17-year-olds who pass their car driving test in the UK have to wait until they're 18 before they can drive a car in EU countries where 18 is the minimum age. There is also a host of secondary rules that may differ (e.g. apparently, passengers aren't allowed on mopeds in Hungary, unlike here in Germany). There are restrictions on where you can ride a moped: that may sound obvious (no one's going to ride one on the motorway), but it can in fact be quite complicated.

Mopeds are class "AM" and this is stated explicitly on your driving licence if it's of the more modern form. If you don't have the modern credit-card style licence yet, I strongly recommend swapping yours for one.

UK provisional licences aren't recognized as valid outside the UK.

Re insurance:

I found this (German) page written by a moped fan visiting Hungary:

www.2radgeber.de/blog/19-04-2019-simsonparadies-ungarn

It states that mopeds (Simsons, at least, but I imagine all models) aren't required to have a number plate in Hungary; it's sufficient for the rider to carry the (compulsory) insurance certificate. Insurance costs around €15 per year. I infer from this that mopeds are only "registered" with the insurance company (rather than with the licensing authorities), which is similar to the German system.

So, off to your local insurance broker, get an insurance certificate for your moped and you're good to go. I don't know what papers for the moped a Hungarian broker will need.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Do you mean in UK or Hungary? My UK Driving licence is a full driving licence and I passed before 2001:

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

• You can ride a moped (max 50cc) without L plates.
  • If you want to ride a motorcycle over 50cc and up to 125cc you will need to take CBT.
  • Once you have a valid CBT certificate you can ride a 125cc with L plates.
If your UK licence allows you to ride a moped then that is good for here (until October 31st if you believe Boris!) As watchpost said mopeds don't have number plates here and you can't carry a passenger (There is no requirement for any MOT testing - but the machine should be road worthy also there is no road tax). The insurance broker will want to see the bill of sale or contract of sale / purchase which must have the serial number of the machine stated.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 10:28 am
Just Joined

rainee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Does that mean you can ride a moped under 50cc without a licence?
Old Aug 18th 2019, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rainee
Hi Does that mean you can ride a moped under 50cc without a licence?
No - You need a licence and you can get a licence that just allows mopeds - but any other higher driving licence will cover moped
Old Aug 18th 2019, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

rainee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
So I have a UK licence for mopeds that will be ok?
Old Aug 18th 2019, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rainee
Thanks
So I have a UK licence for mopeds that will be ok?
Should be OK until the 31st October (If you believe Boris) after that if there is no deal then I don't think the licence will be accepted.
If you are resident here then you can get the licence swapped for a Hungarian licence until 31st October after that you may well need to take a test as with all types of driving licences