Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Matrica/vignette

Matrica/vignette

Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Matrica/vignette

A word of warning.

NEVER use a site called VIRPAY. I clicked on the English version and for 1 year sub for D1. they quoted me 44269Ft with card fee included, i paid through OTP and my payment on my statement shows 54394 Ft. I sent an email of complaint this was their reply:

"I think it's because of the exchange rate. We have 264 HUF/1 EUR exchange rate.
The exchange rate was visible at the time of purchase.
Best regards,

Virpay Kft "
Do not get caught out as I have overpaid by approx £28, all previous years I used another site no problem, f..ked off. Probably best get a yearly from a garage.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Matrica/vignette

Thanks for the warning!
Though of course that exchange rate is clearly shown and should make you thinking ...
Btw since we don't use the motorway much, just going to BP or Eastern Hungary once or twice a year, we always get our 10 days matrica at the gas station before the motorway entrance.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

enter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond reputeenter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Thanks for the warning!<br />Though of course that exchange rate is clearly shown and should make you thinking ...<br />Btw since we don't use the motorway much, just going to BP or Eastern Hungary once or twice a year, we always get our 10 days matrica at the gas station before the motorway entrance.
<br /><br />Of course Wolfi, but I consider myself not a mug, but sometimes we get "caught out" and I am guilty ..... it is a Hungarian company, they quote Huf etc etc, I have been "burnt" but at least I have <span style="color:null;">warned you all</span> as some here are a bit naive . My advice is get the matrica/vignette at a petrol station, quoted in HUF and pay in HUF, with a Hungarian bank,ony card fees which is a fact of life here, no argy bargy. We use the motorway when we want which is quite regular ish so the annual fee without worry is fine ,it is relatively (normally) cheap considering you get rid of the worry etc, but some penny pinchers may disagree . Once someone said they were fined on a road which I found out was not a toll road, in fact it was a speeding fine Refer to my driving license application for more warning/advice also.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Enter, we all pay "Lehrgeld" sometimes i e pay the hard way.
But it's always good when someone tells his experiences here - (too) many things in Hungary are done in a different way. I heard that from my English brother in law already more than 20 years ago when I was on my first visit to Bp -and I took them to heart ...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

The end...till the next
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I have a email from Virpay and they are going to credit my OTP bank account with the exchange rate difference. They request my "swift" and "Iban" number only. I have looked on the internet and info states there is no security risk if you do not give any other information. Can anyone confirm that its ok, thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 6:47 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by enter
I have a email from Virpay and they are going to credit my OTP bank account with the exchange rate difference. They request my "swift" and "Iban" number only. I have looked on the internet and info states there is no security risk if you do not give any other information. Can anyone confirm that its ok, thanks.
That will be completely fine. They can't 'steal' money from you with those details, only send you your refund.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella
That will be completely fine. They can't 'steal' money from you with those details, only send you your refund.
Thank you Pills, I have confirmation from OTP also so thats good. I will report when I see the refund in my account.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

A word of warning.

NEVER use a site called VIRPAY. I clicked on the English version and for 1 year sub for D1. they quoted me 44269Ft with card fee included, i paid through OTP and my payment on my statement shows 54394 Ft. I sent an email of complaint this was their reply:

"I think it's because of the exchange rate. We have 264 HUF/1 EUR exchange rate.
Best regards,

Virpay Kft "
Do not get caught out as I have overpaid by approx £28, all previous years I used another site no problem, f..ked off. Probably best get a yearly from a garage.

To balance things I have received the overpayment i.e exchange rate into my OTP account so they have responded and have treated me fairly after an email of complaint so it appears they are a reputable company. I will however get my next one at a garage me thinks.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:39 am
Banned

To balance things I have received the overpayment i.e exchange rate into my OTP account so they have responded and have treated me fairly after an email of complaint so it appears they are a reputable company. I will however get my next one at a garage me thinks.
Sounds like you paid in EUR on a EUR credit card? So the EUR were converted into HUF not by your bank but by Virpay.

If this were the case, the answer is to always pay in HUF in Hungary, whether you are paying on a GBP/ EUR or HUF card. If it's a foreign currency card, you'll generally just pay the rate on the day, ie in your case, Virpay would get the exact amount of HUF as stated & you would always be happy as you paid in GBP/ EUR at the going exchange rate.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

No, I paid the HUF total shown on the site by my OTP HUF MASTERCARD as I always have.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 1:06 am
Banned

No, I paid the HUF total shown on the site by my OTP HUF MASTERCARD as I always have.
Ah right. Then I'm totally confused by why they said;
I think it's because of the exchange rate. We have 264 HUF/1 EUR exchange rate.

As in: where did EUR come into it?

Sounds it was just a bad excuse for charging Johnny Foreigner a bit extra (from them) in the first place. I'm also confused as to how44269Ft got bumped up to 54394 Ft - presumably they process the actual transaction at a later date. As in: if I were present at the transaction, then the payee can't go back later and make the amount higher. This could never happen at (say) a petrol station, as the transaction is fixed there & then.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Exactly, now you see, Their exchange rate from EUR to HUF was 60 HUF lower than the XE rate. I did not pull punches in my email and luckily I have the refund. Garage from now on.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:23 am
Banned

Exactly, now you see, Their exchange rate from EUR to HUF was 60 HUF lower than the XE rate. I did not pull punches in my email and luckily I have the refund. Garage from now on.
but I don't understand why there was an exchange rate if you paid in huf on a huf card??? can you explain where euro comes into it???
Old Jan 10th 2019, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

no... thats where the site is misleading.

Last edited by enter; Jan 10th 2019 at 3:07 am.