Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Hungary

Looking to move to Hungary

Old Jan 11th 2020, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Hungary

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If you have to pay tax........as a resident of Hungary pensions are not taxed !!
Yes!!!

​​​​​​One of the side benefits of our interview was that my Wife's Kommunális was reduced by 50% (due to her age).

Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Xegro is an unknown quantity at this point

@Peter_in_Hungary
Hi Peter, yes that was basically my plan, but as you said, since my wife is Hungarian, I shouldn't have a problem even after Brexit.

@jameswm
@Jack_Russells4ever
@enter
@cathyg
I never intended to "Play" with the system, that's why I stated my intentions and if they would be allowed.
Also maximum time per year I see myself in Hungary for the next 5 years would be 1-2 months EACH year, which I don't think would be enough.

I think what I'll do is, buy a Rural Property on my Wife's name. Then when I've made sufficient savings in around 5 years or so, start the application to move to Hungary.
Then after living there for 3 years apply for Permanent Residency.

One other question I have is does anyone know currently what's the minimum savings or resources one must have to "not to become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of Hungary" ?
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Xegro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wolfi
Many years ago I also got a residency card without any problems - I had to prove that I own a house here, have a bank account, pay my village tax etc.
Of course I still have my primary residence in Germany - that's not a problem in the EU. I know many people who have two residences, some even both in Germany.
In 2014 before the elections for the EP I even got a letter asking whether I would like to vote in Hungary - they would have informed the Germans then so I couldn't vote twice.
Also OTP (the bank) writes me regularly about this - no problem as long as you pay your taxes (somewhere) ...
Hi Wolfi,

So you already owned a house in Hungary and were paying village tax, before you applied for a Residency Card?
I was under the impression you had to get a Residency Card before you bought a property even as an EU Citizen....is that not the case?
Old Jan 13th 2020, 5:21 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xegro
@Peter_in_Hungary
Hi Peter, yes that was basically my plan, but as you said, since my wife is Hungarian, I shouldn't have a problem even after Brexit.

@jameswm
@Jack_Russells4ever
@enter
@cathyg
I never intended to "Play" with the system, that's why I stated my intentions and if they would be allowed.
Also maximum time per year I see myself in Hungary for the next 5 years would be 1-2 months EACH year, which I don't think would be enough.

I think what I'll do is, buy a Rural Property on my Wife's name. Then when I've made sufficient savings in around 5 years or so, start the application to move to Hungary.
Then after living there for 3 years apply for Permanent Residency.

One other question I have is does anyone know currently what's the minimum savings or resources one must have to "not to become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of Hungary" ?

I never thought you were attempting to game the system, I was just making a general comment, no intention to say you were trying to get over on the rules. But those whom attempt to do so are usually found out and if one lies on their paperwork to the immigration department that will give them grounds to expel an applicant and refuse entry for a period of up to 10 years.

As to what is considered sufficient money in savings not sure but based upon pension income we were told that proof of income of a minimum of 1000 GBP per person was required back in 2017, I suspect that is still the requirement.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Xegro, the laws were changed in 1998 - that was when I bought my house. Maybe that new rule was only for EU citizens? I'm not sure however. Starting then you could buy a house - which I rented to a German "friend" of mine whom I had to throw out soon however because he did not do any renovating as he had promised.
I know people who got a house before that but they had to do it via a Hungarian Strawman or a company they owned together with Hungarian partners - a bit risky imho.
However the agricultural land that came with it I could not buy as a foreigner.
Otherwise it would be a kind of catch 22 - to buy a house you gotta have a residency card - to get a card you have to live here ...
Anyway as I wrote this is my "second residency", I still am resident in Germany where I get my pension, pay my taxes and my health insurance. Luckily the EHIC I got is valid in all of the EU.
PS:
I feel a real pity with all the UK citizens concerned - my sister married an Englishman, their daughter married an Irishman - and the whole family is mad like hell about Brexit, especially because they can't do any long range planning yet.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:59 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Xegro, the laws were changed in 1998 - that was when I bought my house. Maybe that new rule was only for EU citizens? I'm not sure however. Starting then you could buy a house - which I rented to a German "friend" of mine whom I had to throw out soon however because he did not do any renovating as he had promised.
I know people who got a house before that but they had to do it via a Hungarian Strawman or a company they owned together with Hungarian partners - a bit risky imho.
However the agricultural land that came with it I could not buy as a foreigner.
Otherwise it would be a kind of catch 22 - to buy a house you gotta have a residency card - to get a card you have to live here ...
Anyway as I wrote this is my "second residency", I still am resident in Germany where I get my pension, pay my taxes and my health insurance. Luckily the EHIC I got is valid in all of the EU.
PS:
I feel a real pity with all the UK citizens concerned - my sister married an Englishman, their daughter married an Irishman - and the whole family is mad like hell about Brexit, especially because they can't do any long range planning yet.

You do NOT need Residency to purchase most non agricultural property, you do however need approval to buy properties if your a non EU national. It is usually no problem to obtain unless a Hungarian wants to buy the property, Non EU Hungarians are limited to ownership of no more than 10,000m2 of land is my understanding..

Also FYI after Brexit I am told that purchasing an Hungarian automobile will be more difficult for UK nationals here in Hungary that don't have a Lakcim Kartya which you can only get if you have Permanent Residency or Citizenship. There is a work around to get the car in your name but it is complicated.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
You do NOT need Residency to purchase most non agricultural property, you do however need approval to buy properties if your a non EU national. It is usually no problem to obtain unless a Hungarian wants to buy the property, Non EU Hungarians are limited to ownership of no more than 10,000m2 of land is my understanding.
Everyone (including Hungarians) is limited to 10,000m2 (1ha) of agricultural land unless they are a registered agricultural person. (registration is at the Land Office and the requirement is an agricultural qualification or 3 years (proven) agricultural experience) This only applies to land that is classified as agricultural - which means that your delightful little retirement home registered as a domestic dwelling overlooking the Buda hills sitting on a 2ha plot is OK to buy !

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Jan 14th 2020 at 11:48 am.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 11:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Everyone (including Hungarians) is limited to 10,000m2 (1ha) of agricultural land unless they are a registered agricultural person. (registration is at the Land Office and the requirement is an agricultural qualification or 3 years (proven) agricultural experience) This only applies to land that is classified as agricultural - which means that your delightful little retirement home registered as a domestic dwelling overlooking the Buda hills sitting on a 2ha plot is OK to buy !
I forgot to say agricultural. I did not know that also applied to Hungarians the 10,000m2 an agricultural land. So, your saying a village property with 20,000m2 is okay to buy for a foreigner? or just EU nationals ?
Old Jan 14th 2020, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

We had to have a housing contract (either tenancy or purchase) before we could register our initial residency. The Lakcím came as part of this process.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

almafak is an unknown quantity at this point

Also FYI after Brexit I am told that purchasing an Hungarian automobile will be more difficult for UK nationals here in Hungary that don't have a Lakcim Kartya which you can only get if you have Permanent Residency or Citizenship. There is a work around to get the car in your name but it is complicated.
My wife and I received our lakcímkártyák soon after registering as residents at the end of our initial 90 days in Hungary. We were in rented accommodation at the time and an inspector came to check we actually lived at the address.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to say agricultural. I did not know that also applied to Hungarians the 10,000m2 an agricultural land. So, your saying a village property with 20,000m2 is okay to buy for a foreigner? or just EU nationals ?
A foreigner can buy the 20,000m2 property the same as anyone else (providing not more than 10,000m2 it is registered as agricultural) - its just that the paperwork is different, the foreigner will need permission to buy it, which can take a couple of months to come through.