Reload this Page >

Looking to Move...

Looking to Move...

Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

AdiHUN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to Move...

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thanks Adi but this has all been covered in many previous threads. Also, the freehold/leasehold question has been put to bed a long time ago
I wasn't aware there is a post police
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdiHUN
I am not aware of any green tax where I live..... RE the sewage to be connected to mains, you wouldn't be allowed to do that yourself only the utility companies
"Green tax" isn't literal and Polgardi was meaning putting in the pipework up to the mains - hence needing to know where it connects to the mains, this you can do yourself.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Location: North Kent but looking to relocate to Hungary this year
starting_out is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Pleased to hear that your plan to move to Hungary
I am not aware of any green tax where I live ( nr Keszthely). RE the sewage to be connected to mains, you wouldn't be allowed to do that yourself only the utility companies. Villages slowly slowly join the mains but the locals actually were saying to me that costs much more monthly than calling a truck which used to take it away from the cesspool. Best,AdiHUN
Hello AdiHUN

Thanks for your reply. It's useful to get an overview on such things.

Ideally I'll find something already connected or with fully functioning sewage tank. I've been looking at properties that need quite a lot of renovation, so just have to decide if I'm up to the tasks or not!

Starting_Out
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:58 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aware there is a post police
Repetitive and lengthy threads can make it difficult for users to find the information they require. Most forums are the same but the usual term is moderator, not police.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windyridge1
One consideration is a B&B for bikers etc....hence the idea of Hungary/Austria border....we want to be part of the community, so learning the language is important to us, and it helps my partner is very quick at picking up new languages quickly...
:
Windyridge1 - if you do set up a biker B&B do let me know. Although I'm not one myself, I know plenty of people who are and it could be really interesting having this kind of B&B in the area.

It's looking likely that I will buy somewhere in the national forest - I just love the area so much!

Now I have to address the practicalities of continuing to earn a living and where I should be 'resident' (6 months UK/Hungary maybe?), but that's another story...

Let us know how you get on.

Bests

Starting_Out
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Pleased to hear that your plan to move to Hungary
I am not aware of any green tax where I live ( nr Keszthely). RE the sewage to be connected to mains, you wouldn't be allowed to do that yourself only the utility companies. Villages slowly slowly join the mains but the locals actually were saying to me that costs much more monthly than calling a truck which used to take it away from the cesspool. Best,AdiHUN
Hello, Just to clarify...what I meant was that you can dig the ditch yourself to be able to connect to the mains. In our town there is no longer an option to have a cess pit, and in fact by doing so you get charged 10 times the amount you would have done previously (green tax). So in my case, having the 'szennyvízszippantást' come and collect is no longer a viable option. I know this from experience, having just paid a huge bill because I did not read a utility letter properly (oh and also by being told by rip off merchants who sold us the property that we were connected in the first place)
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Hello, Just to clarify...what I meant was that you can dig the ditch yourself to be able to connect to the mains. In our town there is no longer an option to have a cess pit, and in fact by doing so you get charged 10 times the amount you would have done previously (green tax). So in my case, having the 'szennyvízszippantást' come and collect is no longer a viable option. I know this from experience, having just paid a huge bill because I did not read a utility letter properly (oh and also by being told by rip off merchants who sold us the property that we were connected in the first place)
Polgardi

I'm hoping to buy something that's already connected up, but if not your words of advice will be heeded!

thanks

Starting_Out
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi what is this green tax that has been mentioned? is it imposed by the EU or a local tax
if a property did not have a mains connection or an approved septic tank which would be the best option to go for?

and whilst Im on a roll with questions
what is the situation with recycling in rural parts of Hungary cardboard plastics wood and metal?

Are there places in the larger towns that you can take larger refuse items to?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by heli2010
Hi what is this green tax that has been mentioned? is it imposed by the EU or a local tax
if a property did not have a mains connection or an approved septic tank which would be the best option to go for?

and whilst Im on a roll with questions
what is the situation with recycling in rural parts of Hungary cardboard plastics wood and metal?

Are there places in the larger towns that you can take larger refuse items to?
Hi Heli,

I can only provide you with my experience. I am unsure of the origin of the 'green tax' it was just a word I used to describe it as it was something imposed by the water board that operates in our county. I know that if you are not connected to the mains for your sewerage then normally you would need to call the local council when the cesspit is full and they send a car/truck round to empty it....not a pleasant job I am sure... Anyway, it used to be that having a cesspit was cheaper than being connected. The water board (or Hungarian equivalent of) charge double for the water on the way out than they do on the way in. In my town they are now basically ensuring everyone is connected to the mains by charging TEN TIMES the amount they would have charged for those who are not connected. This may not be the case yet in other counties, but if they are doing it here I expect it to be nationwide soon.

With regard to recycling most towns have somewhere you can take your bottles and cardboard and our town have just introduced regular collections with the normal waste collection. Also, if you buy bottles etc from your local supermarket, you should check to see if they take back the returns. We did not realise this when we first moved here and recycled a small fortune in Soproni bottles when we could have taken the empties back to the shop for a small refund :-)

With regard to larger waste such as scarp metal etc, most towns have a special day for pick up....and in the morning or the night before the local tinkers come and help themselves too if you leave it out...

Hope this helps
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

charging TEN TIMES the amount they would have charged for those who are not connected.
Ouch, that's hefty though I suppose understandable in a village with mains.

We have a septic system running into a reed bed and it's needed emptying once in 4 years - if I remember correctly, it cost about £45.

Like Polgardi says, certain bottles can be returned to the shops and Tescos pays a small amount for plastic bottles and cans. In our area, even the smallest of villages have recycling bins.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The 'green tax' as said above is imposed where mains drains are an option but people choose not to connect. Its a way of persuading people to connect up. The only reason that cesspits are/were cheaper than mains drainage is that all the cesspits leak. Around here 'smelly nelly' charges about 1600huf/m3 to empty the pit. (+AFA if you want a bill) The green tax is imposed because everyone knows all cesspits leak and without the incentive to connect to the mains the leaking into the ground of untreated sewage would continue.

There are yellow, blue and green recycle bins everywhere and the annual rubbish days, but for metal than its worth finding out where the local 'ethnic' family who deal in scrap metal lives and sell the scrap to them. Never Never sell scrap to door to door callers, its just asking for trouble the following week.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:01 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
'smelly nelly'
Whilst on the smelly nelly subject..... what on earth happens with the outside toilets Peter. We used to surmise that they dug a large hole and when it was full, they moved the toilet - I know in places like Alaska that this is what happens. However, a neighbour in line of site, has an outside toilet which has never moved in four years and it is not, as far as we can see, connected to a cesspit - not one which can be emptied anyhow as it is at the opposite (wrong) end of the garden for access. The mind boggles
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

So its official. I am a smelly nelly But not for long....
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:19 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

So its official. I am a smelly nelly But not for long....
I'm an eco smelly nelly cos I have a reed bed

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 12th 2013 at 8:22 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Whilst on the smelly nelly subject..... what on earth happens with the outside toilets Peter. We used to surmise that they dug a large hole and when it was full, they moved the toilet
More or less thats what happens. The old fashioned way of building them was to support the sides with wood and when the contents was within about 30 cm from the top you moved the wooden shed from the top and recycled it to the new position. The existing hole was filled (top 30cm) with earth dug from the new loo and a fruit tree of your choice planted on the place of the old loo. The wooden underground side supports rotted away and allowed the roots to grow as needed. It generally takes years to fill as there is no water used and the solids compost down over time reducing in volume. To use properly there should be a bucket of ash inside so that the days fresh deposit can be sprinkled with ash to keep both smells and flies at bay. In addition to that if the inside of the shed is lime-washed annually and some copper sulphate (get some from your local vineyard owner) is added to give a pale blue colour this will also help deter flies. Flies don't like blue, which is why many old dairies were lime-washed with blue to keep out the flies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.