British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Living in Hungary - why? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/living-hungary-why-925517/)

Susan Delgado Jun 5th 2019 12:07 pm

Living in Hungary - why?

Ok to clarify I'm Hungarian so I don't have the outsider's perspective. I just can't help wondering why, in this political climate would anyone decide to live in Hungary? Honestly curious

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Living in Hungary - why?

Ok, I'll bite!

- As opposed to brexit Britain! :lol:

NB: we came here when brexit was an unthinkable nightmare (or fantasy, depending on your viewpoint!).

Seriously though, as regards "political climate" you may be asking the wrong group.

​​​​​​Ex pats come for many reasons, our biggest consideration, having worked here prior to immigrating, was "the people", "society" (define as you wish!), life here, for us, is very easy & pleasant - but then we are retired & fortunate enough to live in an expat "bubble". We love it here, warts & all!

Reading some previous entries on this forum I sometimes do wonder why some of the British expats continue to live here!

Disclaimer!
Others may respond here to point out that, due to living in Budapest, we don't really live in Hungary!

Hopefully Peter (our very long term resident) may be along later to give you a fuller response!

Susan Delgado Jun 5th 2019 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12693628)
Ok, I'll bite!

- As opposed to brexit Britain! :lol:

NB: we came here when brexit was an unthinkable nightmare (or fantasy, depending on your viewpoint!).

Seriously though, as regards "political climate" you may be asking the wrong group.

​​​​​​Ex pats come for many reasons, our biggest consideration, having worked here prior to immigrating, was "the people", "society" (define as you wish!), life here, for us, is very easy & pleasant - but then we are retired & fortunate enough to live in an expat "bubble". We love it here, warts & all!

Reading some previous entries on this forum I sometimes do wonder why some of the British expats continue to live here!

Disclaimer!
Others may respond here to point out that, due to living in Budapest, we don't really live in Hungary!

Hopefully Peter (our very long term resident) may be along later to give you a fuller response!

thank you, that at least gives an explanation. Hungarians (me included) are fleeing Orban's regime by the ten thousands, and honestly it surprises me that there is any traffic at all in the opposite direction

Jack_Russells4ever Jun 5th 2019 4:06 pm

Okay, I will also bite. I moved here as a retiree and get ask this question by some of the Hungarians in my village.

We moved here to live in the expat bubble also and because our pension money goes a long way here, much further than at home. The country is beautiful, food is great and the people are friendly that we have encountered. We bought an old derelict farm house to renovate in a small village near Kaposvar. What we bought here for the money we spent would not even buy a buildable lot back home in most places. Our village reminds me so much of home back in the 1960's...that being rural and a slow pace of life and friendly neighbors. We love it here.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Susan Delgado (Post 12693693)
thank you, that at least gives an explanation. Hungarians (me included) are fleeing Orban's regime by the ten thousands, and honestly it surprises me that there is any traffic at all in the opposite direction

Perhaps you are not aware of the National Statistical Office's report that more Hungarians returned last year than left, for the first time in years!

scot47 Jun 5th 2019 4:27 pm

i suspect many of those moving to Hungary from the Disunited Kingdom are ill-informed about Mr Orban and the other politicos there

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12693705)
i suspect many of those moving to Hungary from the Disunited Kingdom are ill-informed about Mr Orban and the other politicos there

Not so sure about that - he gets enough publicity from the British media, particularly from the "liberal" press & most of it unflattering!

scot47 Jun 5th 2019 5:01 pm

Tabloid readers are not exposed to this. Or Tabloid-tv consumers.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12693727)
Tabloid readers are not exposed to this. Or Tabloid-tv consumers.

We're not all tabloid consumers! I suspect that most expats here are better informed than that!

ETA: There may also be tabloid readers (& others, not from the UK) who move here because of Mr Orban's policies!

enter Jun 5th 2019 5:32 pm

We moved/retired some years ago and I for one the "expats bubble" was not on my agenda. I am not a "heard/sheep follower" "clique member" "narrow minded" "I'm alright Jack" "look at what we've got (house/car) " "take note of what I was in the past, got loads a monaaayy !!!) :))) kind of person/people,never impressed me. We love it here, we have our genuine friends who care and like wise, satisfied and content. Language can be a bummer, but I/we have got most of our paperwork/documents etc etc by ourselves and the rest through friends. Beautiful country and compared to UK life is great. Big up no real complaints.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by enter (Post 12693736)
I am not a "heard/sheep follower" "clique member" "narrow minded" "I'm alright Jack" "look at what we've got (house/car) " "take note of what I was in the past, got loads a monaaayy !!!) :))) kind of person/people,never impressed me.

Seems a bit strong! Do you think many expats here fit into that category?

enter Jun 5th 2019 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12693738)
Seems a bit strong! Do you think many expats here fit into that category?

Answer is not strong at all, will not comment in my view of others here in Hungary, its my opinion!! as you have "opinions", lived here long enough and formed my opinions, what you think/believe is yours within your personality/opinions. Everyone is different, have a free right to voice beliefs/opinions, oh and I am not politically correct :)) left all that in my work environment (mostly), I speak as I see, not popular with politically correct cor, I am happy in my own skin.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 5th 2019 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by enter (Post 12693764)
Answer is not strong at all, will not comment in my view of others here in Hungary, its my opinion!! as you have "opinions", lived here long enough and formed my opinions, what you think/believe is yours within your personality/opinions. Everyone is different, have a free right to voice beliefs/opinions, oh and I am not politically correct :)) left all that in my work environment (mostly), I speak as I see, not popular with politically correct cor, I am happy in my own skin.

Calm down, chill out!

Of course you are entitled to your opinions. Nobody denied that!

So, OP, we may be a small bunch on here but you can't say we're boring!

Susan Delgado Jun 5th 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12693789)
Calm down, chill out!

Of course you are entitled to your opinions. Nobody denied that!

So, OP, we may be a small bunch on here but you can't say we're boring!

:lol: i can see that

scot47 Jun 6th 2019 7:38 am

I saw the wave of Brit migration into Bulgaria in the period 2000-2009. Most of those moving there were quite definitely tabloid readers ! Maybe the settlers coming to Hungary are posher !