Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Living in Hungary after Brexit

Living in Hungary after Brexit

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Hungary after Brexit

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your contributions helped paid for pensions being paid out during your working life just as mine are helping to pay for your pension now.
And that's the bit that is illegal for a non-government pension scheme.
But doubtless you will expect your pension when the time comes - having contributed (and been promised a pension) all your working life !

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 10:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
And that's the bit that is illegal for a non-government pension scheme.
But doubtless you will expect your pension when the time comes - having contributed (and been promised a pension) all your working life !
I will. But if I decide to leave the UK and take my pension elsewhere to take advantage of the cheaper cost of living then I won’t expect the UK to continue to increase it in line with the cost of living in a country I no longer live in nor contribute to.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I will. But if I decide to leave the UK and take my pension elsewhere to take advantage of the cheaper cost of living then I won’t expect the UK to continue to increase it in line with the cost of living in a country I no longer live in nor contribute to.
Except that a pensioner abroad is a net benefit to the UK fiscal purse.

Quote "The government has previously accepted that there is an average £4,300 (£3,800 in 2010) net saving per pensioner that moves overseas(mainly from unused health and social care)"

and there is a net cost to any pensioner returning

Quote "We know from our membership that the financial reality of frozen pensions is a significant factor for some of the 2,500 (average) pensioners from frozen countries returning to the UK each year."

and

Quote "Numerous studies have concluded that older people consume NHS resources at an order of magnitude greater than a young person. A pensioner in their 80’s can cost the NHS 8 times the cost of a person in their 40’s"

and

Quote "Any policy change that facilitates pensioner emigration therefore makes sound economic sense"

Quotes taken from http://frozenbritishpensions.org/wp-...s-Jan-2016.pdf

So apart from the discrimination which has been accepted as fact by various high court cases over the years it would actually make sense to up-rate the state pension. Oh and how does anyone justify up-rating pensions if you retire to the USA but not if you retire to Canada?

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Feb 23rd 2019 at 7:21 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Your contributions helped paid for pensions being paid out during your working life just as mine are helping to pay for your pension now.
Which applies equally to current pensioners in the UK.

​​​​​​It's not as though the UK can't afford the rises - with £350 million a week being freed up.

Perhaps all the pensioners in Europe should move back, en masse, to the UK, that'll give the NHS something to think about.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Feb 23rd 2019 at 8:04 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 3:19 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road

old retired people living abroad don't count for anything much & can be ignored - that's the thinking
Old Feb 24th 2019, 6:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Meeting is at 17:30 March 7th, at the Marriott, Budapest.
Pity that the "meaningful" vote has now been put back until 12th March.

"May the farce go with you".
Old Mar 10th 2019, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Meeting now 20th March, 17:30, Marriott, Budapest.