Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Language thread - words,expressions and translations.

Originally Posted by dave1982
Nem tartozik rám. = It isn’t my cup of tea.

I would say isn't exactly right,but others may want to comment.

I would say a better translation would be ."Its not my concern" or " it's nothing to do with me".

Someone might say to you, say in an argument for example "Ez nem tartozik rád"....meaning its not your concern, ...butt out, don't get involved.
I will defer to your greater knowledge - these were told to me by a Hungarian so the English translation might be not quite right.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:24 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter says :
Te sem vagy means "you also are not", so you also are not perfect which could be understood to be "nobody is" though she says she would use "senki sem".

Nem tartozik rám she says the exact same as Dave.

I didn't have a clue and will now be taking lessons from my daughter
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's one for daughter.

Engedelmeskedhetetlensegeskedeseitekert.

Can't do the accents .

Get the accents in then translate.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 9:57 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Here's one for daughter.

Can't do the accents .

Will show her in the morning as I'm getting nowhere with it! I've got an "obedient phenomena on Tuesday week in my garden". Is there something you two want to tell me Time for another
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Here's one for daughter.

Can't do the accents .

To be obeyable somewhere. I don't think it is a word that is used in everyday Hungarian....
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Daughter says it is grammatically incorrect as a word so assumes it is a Hungarian colloquialism and it can be broken down numerous ways to make a variety of nonsense sentences.
Before getting bored with it and disappearing outside to play, she left me with something along the lines of - because of what you have done (or your actions) impossible to obey.

Go on Dave, put us all out of our misery......
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

dave1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it was in the Guinness Book of Records. (Don't ask me which year) as longest Hungarian word.

translated as "because of your disobedience"

No doubt they'll have thought of a longer one since then.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Well it was in the Guinness Book of Records. (Don't ask me which year) as longest Hungarian word.

translated as "because of your disobedience"

No doubt they'll have thought of a longer one since then.
One of my Hungarian friends said "It is a made up word to demonstrate the agglutinating features of hun language, never used in real life. Rough translation: for you efforts to not to be able to obey".
Guess we might say "because of your disobedience".

She quickly followed her reply with "why on earth are you translating words like this?"

I think the longest now is another "nonsense word"
megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Another nonsense word..Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

A good phrase which probably sums up this week for most people:

Nem tudom, hogy hol áll a fejem!

Literal translation is I don't know where my head stands. In other words: I have so many things to do I don't know where to start.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have one Hungarian friend who says this to me all the time, in English.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Just realised I've been pronouncing Miskolc and Budapest wrongly for years!
http://travel.cnn.com/all-hungarian-...nguages-332111
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I've just got back from Miskolc having taken my puppy to the allatkorhaz ..... Miskolc was one of the first words I learnt to pronounce correctly in Hungarian. I've often wondered what the weird sign was as you enter Miskolc ... thank you Fen Tiger for providing the answer with the link you posted .... it's old Hungarian.

As for Nyiregyhaza it's a name I can never say properly which is annoying as my tiny Tibetan Spaniel was born there. Her name is Chloe which completely baffles many Hungarians as they don't know that CH is pronounced as a K! My other dog is called Georgina ... the name she was given by the breeder. I call her Gay..org..eena the way you say it in Hungarian but my neighbours say it as you would do in England .... poor girl ... she'll probably end up schizophrenic!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I've not heard it mentioned much but I thought Nyiregyhaza was pronounced "Nearerharzer". The word I struggle with most often is egy. It's not "ed" and it's not "edge" but somewhere in between.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

How do you pronounce 'Ferj' as in husband?

Also 'Boldog uj Evet' for Happy New Year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.