Language skills

Old Jun 1st 2023, 3:17 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language skills

So my first serious Hungarian girlfriend was Fruzsina (Fruzsi). Very pretty & intelligent, only 21 or so. We were together a year or so, we went on hols eg to Thailand scuba diving.

Anyway - as was common back in 1997, she couldn't really speak much English - she spoke great German.

Once we tagged up, you you know how soon she picked up English? It all happened in about 3 months, suddenly she was fluent - she always was clever.

I guess German and English are not so dissimilar in some ways.

Plus the motivation.

Yes - the name might give it away if you know about these things - Fruzsi was Jewish, I never did establish how her parents got away with living in Budapest through WW2. Luckily none of that ever mattered, we liked each other a lot. Unlike my Jewish girlfriend at UK university (I'm not Jewish) who let me hop into bed with her but that was about it, because I'm not Jewish.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language skills

Does Hungarian have a lot of dialects? My Italian partner can recognise someone coming from a town only 30km away by their dialect. If she hears someone from Spoleto or Perugia she puts her fingers in her ears. I wish I had Fruzsi's linguistic skills.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 3:53 pm
Banned

Bill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeBill Sykes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language skills

Originally Posted by philat98
Does Hungarian have a lot of dialects? My Italian partner can recognise someone coming from a town only 30km away by their dialect. If she hears someone from Spoleto or Perugia she puts her fingers in her ears. I wish I had Fruzsi's linguistic skills.
Not that I'm aware of - though I wouldn't class myself as an expert. Probably no different to Estuary/ Manc/ Liverpudlian/ Glaswegian etc - but probably nothing like that.

I lived in Firenze for a year to learn 'perfect' Italian, Icche C'e C'e etc. A year I loved. 100% fluent Italian? I lived with 3 lovely Italian girls, none of them my girlfriend, just friends. I can do the Firenze accent quite well.

I only had to go to Sicily or Milan or kinda anywhere else to look pretty stupid when the locals lost me with their dialect.

Italy wasn't even joined up as a country until the Risorgimento, not that long ago.