Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Kitchen Units available in Hungary

Kitchen Units available in Hungary

Old Aug 27th 2018, 4:32 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kitchen Units available in Hungary

We are going to renovate soon and we want new kitchen units or cabinets. We DO NOT want mdf or presswood. Is it possible to purchase units that are either real oak or maple in a stain grade or prefinished? Or are we going to have to purchase them back home in the UK?

We do not want fake wood laminates or plastic anywhere in our kitchen units and really do not want units that have to be self assembled with the IKEA style assembly parts. We are near Pecs and Kaposvar but would travel to buy quality. We want units that are not the new contemporary style. we love traditional old styles.

Any recommendations?
Old Aug 27th 2018, 5:03 am
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kitchen Units available in Hungary

We got a real beech kitchen put into our flat in Budapest in about 2000, sold many years ago. real as in most of it was real beech, not sure about the bits you couldn't see. But it was no problem sourcing real wood, I'm sure the choice is a lot better these days. Can't help you with recommendations as it was so long ago, just saying that what you want would be readily available in BP, I guess the countryside towns are going to be similar. Ours was made to measure and they coped with some pretty difficult angles, sloping ceiling etc as it was a top floor flat. Dead cheap as well.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with a recommended chap - because you are too far away but I suggest you ask around your area for a joiner (asztalos) and get what you want made for you. The choice of wood will probably be from local supply (hard wood) but the joiner should be able to help with that.

That is what we did for our kitchen although it took a bit longer (actually a lot longer!) than SWMBO wanted because I started by going into our forest with my chain saw and I cut down a wild cherry tree...........
Old Aug 27th 2018, 5:54 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter, I already asked the village Mayor and a couple neighbors whom have recently had work done. They could not find or recommend a local craftsman in the area. They purchased IKEA flat packs. This old house does not have one square corner so a custom build would limit where they could be used. We are planning a extension in the future and need to be able to move them in the future.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Could not find a qualified asztalos? That sounds strange - but maybe the best left for greener pastures.
Still I wouldn't give up - we had a lot of individual stuff done, including szekrény for our clothes and lambéria in many rooms - but that was almost 20 years ago.
A tip:
If you use pine wood it gets a lot cheaper and also easierto work on - but of course oak is longer lasting.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Thanks Peter, I already asked the village Mayor and a couple neighbors whom have recently had work done. They could not find or recommend a local craftsman in the area. They purchased IKEA flat packs. This old house does not have one square corner so a custom build would limit where they could be used. We are planning a extension in the future and need to be able to move them in the future.
The usual way that built in cupboards are made is to make them square (otherwise it is difficult to use machinery) and batten out the walls to square to fit the cupboards. If this method is followed it is easier to move the units later if needed.
I would suggest that you widen your search and do it your self. If the Mayor and the neighbours purchased IKEA flat packs why would they know of an asztalos. Did you search the internet yet?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 12:32 am
Banned

I was told to ask the mayor about craftsmen who could do cabinetry, He did not know about anyone. He did not recommend Ikea, 2 of my neighbors stated they wanted to have cabinets built on site and could not find anyone to do the work. They said someone suggested Ikea and that was what they settled for. I did a search yesterday and all I came up with was pre built modern components from shops that only sold plastic laminated MDF. Worse case scenario, we will purchase what we want in the UK next time we go back and bring them over ourself. We would rather support our local economy if we can. I just do not want to wait till next summer to buy if we can get what we want here in Hungary. My partner wants a traditional country kitchen and if I do not give it to her I will not make her happy. If Momma isn't happy, no one will be happy. She wants granite counter tops also and a Belfast style sink.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

All trades and professions in Hungary have Chambers (trade guilds) to which trades people / professionals must belong. I believe the one that covers joiners is Kereskedelmi és Ipari kamara. You could try contacting them to see if there is a joiners in your area.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Aug 29th 2018 at 5:24 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 5:51 pm
Banned

Peter, thanks for the information about trade guilds. However, We had already just decided to invest in a good table saw and a few woodworking tools and just make what we want. We decided that since we are already planning an extension anyway, we are going to go ahead and try and do a lot of the finish work ourself. It seems that few people want to work in our area that have any skills and those who do want to work only do so to supply their addiction to alcohol. It is rather sad to watch. We have even tried to find skilled craftsman from other areas and those any good have more work than they can handle.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Our local furniture shop is an agent for a German kitchen manufacturer.
We gave them the exact dimensions of the room and they built units to fit the space exactly, and it was exact! the only gap is 2 mm each side of the fridge.
Yes the base cabinets are MDF but much thicker and stronger than normal DIY offerings, the doors and fitting came in a mind boggling choice of styles.
We waited 5 weeks for delivery, the units came read built and it was simply a case of putting them in the correct order and locking together. I say simply, but it did take time to arrange everything correctly since there was no room for error and the wall units had to align with the tall double oven unit which in turn had to fit precisely with the base units. But a couple of days work resulted in a good solid kitchen exactly how we had planned it.
Old Aug 29th 2018, 10:39 pm
Banned

Duztee, is this the place? I will show it to my wife and let her decide if she wants to make a road trip. Thanks

Bútorszer kft.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Duztee, is this the place? I will show it to my wife and let her decide if she wants to make a road trip. Thanks

Bútorszer kft.
PM sent.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:55 am
Banned

After much deliberation, We have decided to just build our own kitchen units. If I can find a supply house that sells plywood veneer sheeting in 18mm or similar thickness. Anyone have information about a distributor of plywood (please don't say OBI or Praktiker) Looking for something like Birch or hardwoods. No pine, softwood or MDF. We are probably going to do a concrete stained counter top.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

After much deliberation, We have decided to just build our own kitchen units. If I can find a supply house that sells plywood veneer sheeting in 18mm or similar thickness. Anyone have information about a distributor of plywood (please don't say OBI or Praktiker) Looking for something like Birch or hardwoods. No pine, softwood or MDF. We are probably going to do a concrete stained counter top.
R�tegelt lemez, falap-lemez, MDF lap, OSB - Pannon Falap-Lemez Kft
Just outside Budapest, they sell all types of plywood, including flexible and coloured. Also MDF etc
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:09 am
Banned

Thanks Duztee, looks like the sort of place that should have what we need.